Capturing to NLE via HD SDI on HD GY251 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 21st, 2006, 03:59 AM   #1
New Boot

Capturing to NLE via HD SDI on HD GY251

hey there

looking into the JVC HD GY251E. does anyone know if it's possible to capture to an NLE (in my case FCP) via the HD SDI out or the Component out to an AJA or BMD HD card?

the HDV workflow is pretty horrible so was wanting to transcode on the fly to DVCPRO HD.

thanks
Paul Nevison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 04:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Yes, it most certainly is possible if you have the correct card for the SDI stream you wish to capture from the camera. Baseband SDI signals are standardised, so if your card is capable and you set both the camera and the capture settings to the correct standard, there should be no trouble. I'm much more Avid than FCP, so maybe someone else can pitch in with some real-world experience with FCP/Aja/BM/HD250.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Major Player

The HD250/251 via the Blackmagic SDI works great into FCP. We ran this setup with excellent results (of course... after a few personal blunders) and is highly recommended. This same setup also gives you great results when going uncompressed with the full 1280x720.

I believe you will like the results. Good luck with the purchase!
RED ONE #977
Daniel Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 10:37 AM   #4
Major Player

Daniel,
I just unpacked the 251 and I have a FCP based system with a Blackmagic SDI. Unfortunately I know very few things about FCP and I want to try this SDI setup for a better quality. I am planning to shoot on 24 and 25P. Which are the settings that I have to set in FCP in order to capture 720P uncompressed? What kind of storage do I need for this quality? I have a Lacie 500Gb FW800, is the transfer rate suitable for uncompressed flow? How much space is taking one hour of footage in 720p uncompressed? Which is the best solution for a decent storage price and a good quality image out of this setup (maybe not uncompressed maybe another FCP compression setting)?
Thanks in advance for your help,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems