Just Received a Fujinon TH17x5BRM Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old December 27th, 2006, 01:43 PM   #1

Just Received a Fujinon TH17x5BRM Lens

I'm happy to report that I just received my long awaited Fujinon TH17x5BRM zoom lens for my HD110. At first glance, I'm really happy to report that this lens is about 1/2 in longer than the stock 16x5.5, and the length appears around the zoom ring, so, I can now fit a Redrock Micro Follow focus and gear...wooohooOOoo!! The lens is a lot more substantial in weight, probably due to the substantially larger diameter glass. The lens, overall, is larger in diameter, and the 82mm filter holder on the front of the lens is metal instead of that flimsy plastic that comes on the stock lens...again wooohooo! There are two connectors on this lens, one works with the Fuji 8 pin connector for external zoom control, the other is a 3-pin connector. According to the manual, this is a connector for the focus servo module. I guess Fujinon will make available an add-on servo focus module? COOL!!

Last but not least, my first impression is that I didn't see an CA present in the lens at full zoom. I'm going to shoot some footage and post some frame captures when a have a few hours.

This lens seems to be a substantial improvement over the stock lens.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 01:59 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens
At first glance, I'm really happy to report that this lens is about 1/2 in longer than the stock 16x5.5, and the length appears around the zoom ring, so, I can now fit a Redrock Micro Follow focus and gear...wooohooOOoo!!
Where did you get your Redrock Micro Follow Focus with a gear for the Fujinon lens?

Redrock continues to tell me the version of the FF that will work on a Fujinon lens is not yet available, but hopefully will be in 2007. Is there an option available now that works with Fujinon lenses? (I Have the wide angle lens for the JVC camera.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #3

Jack...

The large gear that comes as the largest of the 3 gears Redrock already produces will work just fine with the new 17x5 Fujinon lens. None of them will work with the 16x5.5 lens
Old December 27th, 2006, 05:10 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
The large gear that comes as the largest of the 3 gears Redrock already produces will work just fine with the new 17x5 Fujinon lens. None of them will work with the 16x5.5 lens
The question, then, for me is whether the wide angle 13x3.5 lens has the same focus ring as the 17x5... or it is different.

By the way, since I have never seen it, but only heard positive things about it, how do you like the Redrock Micro Follow Focus unit? Thanks!
Old December 28th, 2006, 07:59 AM   #5

A FF is a FF, isn't it? There were some reports of minute backlash, but, mine works fine. The drive gears are VERY wide, which surprises me, a bit, but I suppose they engage well because of it. I wish the drive gear could be reversed, i.e. installed facing the rear, rather than the front. All in all, it works well for me on all my gear, now, including an XL2 with Canon EOS 100-400 zoom.
Old December 28th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #6

Ran some prelim tests on high contrast objects at maximum zoom and f/4.
There appears to be some chromatic aberration...purple fringing. Haven't quantified it, yet, but, it does seem less severe than the stock lens.
I put a frame grab here..... http://www.geocities.com/ravens202/Image0.jpg
While there is some purple fringing on the outer edges of the black rays, there isn't any fringing on the sides. This doesn't really look like CA, but more like a weakness in the mpeg encoding process.

Last edited by Bill Ravens; December 29th, 2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
A FF is a FF, isn't it?
I wasn't sure it was the same as say the Chrosziel ($1100 more expensive) or the Petroff ($700) more expensive.

Though in picutres they all look similar.

I have seen the Chrosziel and Petroff and talked to people who use them. Seem okay. However, at such a much cheaper price, I wasn't sure how the Redrock would be.

I've read about another $500 follow focus unit that many people says does have play. The same gear set in this one is also used in another less expensive one with the same play. From what I read somewhere, the Redrock has a new gearset that is not used in the others.

Unfortunately it is very hard to see Redrock gear in person unless someone has some at a show per chance.The rental places I've called all have Chrosziel or Petroff.

One thing, apparently you are using one of the large add on gear rings that come with the Redrock unit and are not directly engaging the teeth on the lens focus ring. Is that correct?
Old December 29th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #8

Jack...

The Redrock FF uses a larger gear tooth than what's on the camera barrel, so, a custom driven gear as provided with their FF, is necessary. FWIW, I'm very pleased with the Redrock Mocro FF and would buy it again. I bought it because it was substantially cheaper than the others. BTW, I'm using the Redrock FF mounted on some 15mm carbon fiber rails I bought with a Cavision mattebox. Everything works quite well together on both my XL2 and my JVC hD100. What more can I say except that I'm pleased with the rig. If I was to provide any criticism of the FF, I'd say that the gearbox is mounted on a piece of anodized 1/8" aluminum plate to attach it to the rail mount. It appears flimsy, but, it really isn't. If you'd like some closeup photos, let me know and I can send you some.
Old September 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #9
Major Player

So how do you like your lens now? How is it performing for you? I bet it is worth the $3,000 to be sure. Have you don any comparison testing?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 03:15 PM   #10

Alex...

I followed your first thread with some interest since you've asked the same questions I did when I first bought my HD110. I still feel that the 17x Fujinon is better than the 16x, however, a $3k lens will never be able to compete with an $8k(13x) lens. The 17x is probably closer to the 16x than it is to the 13x, but, I'm glad I bought it. It still exhibits some chromatic aberration, which is what I was wanting to avoid.
Old September 29th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
Alex...

I followed your first thread with some interest since you've asked the same questions I did when I first bought my HD110. I still feel that the 17x Fujinon is better than the 16x, however, a $3k lens will never be able to compete with an $8k(13x) lens. The 17x is probably closer to the 16x than it is to the 13x, but, I'm glad I bought it. It still exhibits some chromatic aberration, which is what I was wanting to avoid.
So a moderate thumbs up, unless I were already planning on getting the 13x some day? Better to put the $3,000 towards the $6,600 13x? Have you done any compairison shots ever, especially at it's widest at telephoto focal lengths?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #12

yes, comparisons to the 16x. CA at longest telephoto is still there. The 13x is much more wide angle and won't give you the same magnification by a lot. If money isn't a consideration, look at the fujinon 18x or the canon.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems