Masked Dead Pixels Show as Black Specs - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 15th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #16
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Nixon
CES is for consumer products.
you can probably reach Carl Hicks on Monday. He's pretty good and making himself available.
You can also contact the JVC sales engineer, Rob Yaroush, listed on the previous link and discuss your situation.

Here I am, and as Terry is correct, I do not attend CES.

David, please e-mail me your phone # and the name of the dealer you purchased from, and I'll give you a call.

Regards,
Old January 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM   #17
Tourist

Dead pixel issue with JVC

David,

Sorry to enter this conversation so late...

I am having a similar problem with my JVC 100. A couple prominent, dead pixels developed very rapidly during the course of a recent shoot for CNN. I used the pixel compensation feature in an attempt to address the issue in the field. Interestingly enough, after three runs of the program it masked the highly noticable dead pixels...however, only a week later during the course of a single, hour-long interview another area developed a similar problem! So I am now faced with running the pixel comp. application yet again in the hope that my next shoot won't be ruined (and the next, and the next...)!

In my case, these areas are large enough to either render the footage unusable, or to force an editor to mask them manually in post afterwards. Because I shoot for broadcasters such as CNN and Dateline, it's a dangerous proposition to risk an entire shoot due to a faulty unit. I have never had this problem with other camera manufacturers and don't believe it falls within the range of acceptable pixel loss. The camera is only six months old.

I hope you sent your camera back to JVC and get some satisfaction.

-Skye
Skye Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:56 PM   #18
Major Player

Skye,

You might have that looked at, especially if your camera is still under warranty. But, I understand you can run the pixel mask compensation up to like 100 times before the memory buffer overloads. So you might try it again. In my case I have run the pixel mask routine about 15 times. However, in my case several of the pixels didn't average correctly during masking with other pixels around them and showed up as black specs. In all, I had about 17 or more black specs and the masking didn't fix the problem. I think if they had averaged properly then it wouldn't have been an issue.

Carl Hicks and JVC have been very helpful and the camera was shipped off to service a couple of days ago.

I'll let you know what happens when I get my camera back.
Old February 20th, 2007, 08:27 PM   #19
Major Player

No more dead pixels!!!

Sometimes we forget that bad things can happen to good cameras.
Got my camera HD 100 back about 2 weeks ago. Just in time for 2 shoots.
And the camera is making gorgeous pictures. I want to thank JVC's Carl Hicks (who I actually got to meet here at a product show along with Robert Yarosh, a JVC sales engineer) for making sure that my camera was taken care of. And whoever the tech was at JVC, well he did a great job. I couldn't find one blemish, anywhere. So, guys when you have a maintenance issue (or issues), you can be confident that JVC will back these cameras.

And oh by the way, I met Chris Hurd at the show as well, making the rounds. Nice guy. He was standing right behind me when I was talking about all the info I get from DVINFO.net. Weird conicidence.

Oh and I want to thank Stephen Noe for taking the time to actually make circles around all of pixels in question on the TIFF files. That was very nice. I owe you one.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:01 AM   #20
Trustee

All's well...

That ends well, huh? I'm glad your camera got repaired and that Carl and the boys over at JVC rsponded in such a positive manner.

This kind of professionalism is exactly the kind of thing that will build loyality. You had a great point in saying that even a good camera can go bad.

And Stephen is the man, no doubts there...

Thanks for letting us know how it all worked out -
john
evilgeniusentertainment.com
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 12:49 PM   #21
New Boot

Random Horizontal gray lines

Cleaning tape 5x, works great in SD, only HD do I get horz fine gray lines randomly. while recording does not show it, only during play back. It records to the tape because shows on other JVC cam.
Anybody else have this issue? its off to Cypress right now

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems