Does 60P use more hardrive space and work computer harder? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 14th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Does 60P use more hardrive space and work computer harder?

Hi GUys,

It's a question that has been on my mind. If you record in camera at 60fps as opposed to 25fps does this make the file larger when capturing to hardrive and does this make the computer work harder. It just make sense that 60 frames will be harder on the computer than 25 frames a second. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. Thanks
Rob Brookes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:12 AM   #2
Trustee

Size will be the same. HDV format has not changed. Yes, marginally more cpu power would be required to play a 60p file vs. 30p. If you involved yourself in a heavily composited timeline then the effect could be as much as 2x the work for the cpu. 2x the frames = 2x the work. As well if you transcode to an intermediate codec your disc space will increase, as it will be converting the efficient mpeg2 codec into individual semi-lossless frames for efficient editing, but then that would probably require far less cpu power for editing over native editing making it null in that regard.
Old January 15th, 2007, 01:20 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks, as I thought, it would be even harder on the system. I cant shoot 60p on my hd111 so thats cool, just makes sense that its more work for the old computer.
Ok, thanks dude
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Now I'm not sure if you're talking about 60 frames per second or a shutter speed of one sixtieth of a second (progressive scan or otherwise).

Some of the new camcorders will indeed shoot in the slowmotion mode, and the HC3 will record at 150 fps for short bursts. I imagine this would indeed be tough on the camera's recording system (hense the short bursts), but when feeding the signal to the computer there's no difference in the bit rate.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi tom, yeah I was referring to the 60 frames per second recorded to tape and then working with it in post. My hd gy 111 does not offer hd 60fps unless recording from the components out but I dont believe there is a compact unit that can store that data directly off the components out, I hope someone comes up with a unit though, it would sell very well I am sure.
Old January 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM   #6
Trustee

Your HD111 has a 480p60 mode. Don't be shy to try it out. Looks very close to 720p, and is great for intercutting butter smooth slo-mo's. Gotta try it!
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I will do, thanks for that, I have heard mixed feelings about shooting 576, here in PAL land, 480 in the U.S. Do you uprez or just stay SD. Do you mix your 720p with 576p or 480p in your case, is that possible or does everything have to be the same. Silly question but I just want to see what people do. Used to be straight forward, Standard def, 25fps, 4:3 or 16:9. Its great though, all these new possibilities.
Rob Brookes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems