Shooting in a Subway at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 19th, 2007, 04:42 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting in a Subway

Hi All:

I am trying to shoot with the HD100 (in 24p mode) in the subway, not on the train but in the station itself. The light is pretty dim. So I have tried a few recipes from the thread above but nothing really seems to work. The image is way too dark. I am trying to give it a cinematic look, yet also come away with an image that's viewable. Any advice or recipes?

Thanks in advance.

Best,
Tommy
Tommy Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't know what kind of action you have in your frame but you may try dropping your shutter speed to 1/24th. This will help and looks acceptable as long as there isn't fast motion.
That's my 2cents.
Council Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Major Player

How much gain are you using? You might have to bite the bullet and crank it up a bit. The other option is to bring in some of your own light.
Stephan Ahonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

You could go even lower than the 24p - try cranking it down to 7.5. You will get blur on movement, but will be able to use existing light.
Jason Nolte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2007, 11:14 PM   #5
Major Player

...hmmm, how about finding another station that might be a tad brighter? Also, if you have a permit to shoot there (trust me, I almost got arrested shooting in NY subway with Z1U), and also depending on what you are shooting, you might be able to bring a single light (like a 1k) and bounce it to get a little more light. Let us know how things are progressing...and good luck.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM   #6
Wrangler

I shot in a few subway stations and trains for a feature film without an issue.

24P, 1/48th, 0dB. My gaffer brought along a pocket par with the softbox attached and we used it when we needed a little extra fill. I don't even think I had to increase the gamma, but I may have. I can't remember.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems