Quality in Post. with HD111 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:00 AM   #1
New Boot

Quality in Post. with HD111

Hi, my name is Eric (the viking from Iceland :o)
I am getting redy to capture my Short-film, that I finist shooting last summer.
Any how, as you all know we have a wonderful workflow with the JVC PRO HD 111 and FCP. -NOT-

So I am going to use DVHSCap and then MPEG-Streamclip 1.8 (brand new version for you all shooting with M2 it can now flip the image 180deg in the prosses so you no longer have to do it in FCP, very cool.) Anyhu..

I did some tests on the DVSCap, and it turned out ok. Is it Okey to use this program for 24p capturing. Is this program capturing in full HDV quality.
Dose it not recompress it again? I don't thing so, but I need to be sure.

Then in MPEG-Streamclip, What is the recomended codec to save the files in. I was thinking uncompressed, but that is to big, or just FCP HDV 720p 24f
All comments are good.

Sorry about my Speeling I come from a Land far far away!
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Trustee

Hi Eric.

DVHSCap should be just fine as it captures the stream from the camera so there's should not be any transcoding. When using MPEG Streamclip be sure that you specify a frame rate of 23.976fps or your footage will be left at 60fps (duplicate frames). You can use AIC for codec, quality is good while being smaller than uncompressed.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Hi Eric.

You can use AIC for codec, quality is good while being smaller than uncompressed.
I'm using Lumiere to capture the footage, and then mpeg streamclip to convert it. I'm mostly shooting in 720p25, and used the dvcpro hd codec in mpeg to start editing the footage in fcp... I'm just wondering if there's something i'm missing when using that codec in contrast to aic?

And once more thanks for all pros here, especially figuring out different settings for the cam!
Juha Werkkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:16 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha Werkkala
I'm just wondering if there's something i'm missing when using that codec in contrast to aic?
Yes, some pixels :) DVPRO encodes only 960 pixels per line. So instead of havign true 1280x720 you get 960x720 with pixel shiftint which causes, as expected, artifacts.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:34 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paolo Ciccone
Yes, some pixels :) DVPRO encodes only 960 pixels per line. So instead of havign true 1280x720 you get 960x720 with pixel shiftint which causes, as expected, artifacts.
Thanks for the info:) Kinda good news in this end, since already lovin' the quality of the footage from the cam with dvcpro codec... so can't wait to do it right this time:)
Juha Werkkala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems