Do I really need Dvfilm to Change my 720 24p at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 24th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Do I really need Dvfilm to Change my 720 24p

Hello all looked for previous post on changing frame rates
Dvfilm shows
Mutate is a simple application (Windows only) which converts 24.000 fps Quicktimes to 23.976 fps Quicktimes. The conversion is done without touching the movie data but simply by changing the flags and rate constants in the .mov file.

I am using Vegas7 for edit!

Can I record at 24p and edit 24p export 24p Or do I really need to use the Mutate??? to make 23.976
Im not understanding the issue?
I almost feel that Dvfilm has the dv/hd market in there grasp!

I just Ditched HDV 60i so I didnt have to use Dvfilm for conversion!
Thx!
Any links or explaination would help!
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Steven,

When most people around here say "24P" they actually mean "23.98P," it is just easier to say 24P.
When you record "24P" on a JVC ProHD camera (and most other 24P cameras,) it is actually recording at 23.98fps (23.976 to be exact!)

There is a 0.1% difference in speed, and therefore it is important to make all of your sequences and outputs 23.98 as well.

The only time you would set your sequence to 24fps is when you are working with material transferred from film for eventual neg cut and print back to film. In this case your sequence would have to be 24fps to maintain proper sound sync for when the optical sound elements are eventually married to the picture.

If you do plan to do a film print from video source it is fine to stay in 23.98 through the D.I. and then the lab will take care of maintaining frame sync. The duration of your film will just be 0.1% shorter than the video version.
Old January 24th, 2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great! Thx Tim!
1 more question I'm not sure about?
When I am finished with editing at 23.98 I want to render a MPEG2 for a stadard DVD Will the setting also be 720x480 at 23.98(23.976) or do I render a 29.97
Last question for Now!
You are so helpfull! and I love your work!
Old January 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Houser
Great! Thx Tim!
1 more question I'm not sure about?
When I am finished with editing at 23.98 I want to render a MPEG2 for a stadard DVD Will the setting also be 720x480 at 23.98(23.976) or do I render a 29.97
Last question for Now!
You are so helpfull! and I love your work!
Thanks for the kind words Steven.

You can leave it as 23.98fps for mpeg2 encoding at 720x480. All NTSC DVD players will add the appropriate 2:3 pulldown when connected to a NTSC TV. If you play the DVD on a new "uprezzing" DVD player it will also automatically add pulldown for output to 1080i60 or 720P60. A progressive DVD player and progressive monitor combo will attempt to display a progressive mpeg2 stream without adding any pulldown.

DVD players are very smart, (assuming they are setup properly!)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems