Need lens advice for shooting in 4x3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old January 29th, 2007, 11:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need lens advice for shooting in 4x3

I'm a staff photographer at a regional sports network. Last March, we bought two HD100s and have been gradually increasing the number of shoots we use them on. Plus we're awaiting our new HD250s which should arrive any day. I can say that we now use the JVC's on about 90% of our shows. I enjoy the camera and have gotten used to it's quirks and limitations over the last year. There is still one major problem, however. Nearly all of our footage goes in to shows that are 4x3 format. We don't often letterbox our footage for a variety of reasons. And as you probably know, shooting 4x3 with a 16x9 camera wastes about 20% of the wide end of the lens.

So: When I shoot features/walking stand-ups/intros to shows, etc, I don't have a very wide lens to do this with. I do have a .7x wide angle adapter, but I get REALLY tired of taking it off and puting it on during a shoot. And what really frustrates me is the amount of dust the adapter collects that I cannot get rid of.

I guess what I'm looking for is some advice as to what lens or lens and converter combination might help me in this situation. I saw on B+H's website that Fujinon's 17x4.2 lens has the Vformat Correction feature (which compensates for shooting 4x3 in a 16x9 camera), however, it doesn't show that on Fujinon's website. I placed a call to our regional Fuji rep this morning, so he may be able to clear that up for me.

I know the 13x3.5 is available, but after the aspect conversion I'll be back at 4.2. If the 17x lens has the correction built in, it'll be the same plus I'll have the longer zoom to shoot sports highlights with.

I've tried to do my homework on this the best I could, but if anybody has a fresh take on this or some other options all together, I would be very grateful for your input.

Thanks,

nick
Nick Kesler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems