IDX Battery Kit Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM   #1
Major Player

IDX Battery Kit Question

I ordered a HD110 camera, and my dealer told me about the IDX battery kit offer and said I could get that too if I wanted- which I did. The dealer didn't have any camera's or batter kits in stock, so they had to order from JVC. They are listed as an authorized dealer on the JVC website. My camera eventually arrived, as well as the other items I ordered. All except the IDX battery kit. Now I know JVC says sometimes the shipment of the IDX battery kit can lag behing that of the camera, but how long should this really take? Last I spoke with the dealer, they say JVC is processing the order- but that was quite some time ago. Lately when I've called the dealer to ask about it they simply do not know when they batter kit will arrive. How long does this usually take? Is there anyone here from JVC who could maybe offer some insight?

They initally told me they excpected the battery kit to be here three weeks ago. I have a shoot coming up in one week that I will have to cancel if the battery kit does not arrive.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Major Player

If the battery kit doesn't arrive you might find you can hire a battery kit quite cheap from a company that hires HD100s. It is quite common for a HD100 hire kit to come with an IDX system. They might just hire you the kit itself.

Worth asking rather than cancelling the shoot?
Guy Barwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Trustee

In case you have access to electricity, you can run the camera off the adapter by plugging directly into the electrical outlet.

Depending on where you have to shot and what you have to shoot, using a direct line and using the stock battery, which will give you 30 minutes or so at a time, may work out for you temporarily.

Also, contacting the area sales rep directly, may speed up the process.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:12 PM   #4
Major Player

What part of the country are you in, Adam?
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Major Player

I also have another solution for you, Adam. I have 2 stock batteries that came with our 110's that have not been used (we use the idx kits), if you're interested. That way you could always keep a couple on the charger and 1 on the camera for almost continuous shooting. If you're interested, we'll make you a great deal since they are just sitting here taking up space. If you're interested, you can go to the website on my signature, hit contacts, and send me an email. If not, anyone else interested in them can do the same. They are JVC model # BN-V428U, 7.2v > 2800mAh. I know advertising stuff for sale is probably against the rules here, but if you're in a bind, we'll be happy to help you out. Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah
I also have another solution for you, Adam. I have 2 stock batteries that came with our 110's that have not been used (we use the idx kits), if you're interested. That way you could always keep a couple on the charger and 1 on the camera for almost continuous shooting. If you're interested, we'll make you a great deal since they are just sitting here taking up space. If you're interested, you can go to the website on my signature, hit contacts, and send me an email. If not, anyone else interested in them can do the same. They are JVC model # BN-V428U, 7.2v > 2800mAh. I know advertising stuff for sale is probably against the rules here, but if you're in a bind, we'll be happy to help you out. Thanks
Actually the stock batteries will only last you about 45 min. and take 3 hours to charge. You do the math. I had 3 of them and still couldn't shoot continuously for extended periods of time. Depends on the shoot.

Adam, the IDX batteries can take 2-3 weeks to arrive unless you have some special way to speed them up. I went through the same thing. You might consider renting a power system for your shoot in the meantime and canceling it if your IDX batteries arrive in time.
Point Zero Pictures
http://www.pointzeropictures.com
Miklos Philips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:35 PM   #7
Major Player

Depending on his time frame and IDX battery availability in his area, having 3 batteries will be much better than having to cancel the shoot. I'm just trying to help with options. If there is a rental option, then great, but if he gets backed into a corner, picking up a couple extra stock batteries on the cheap is a completely logical and viable idea. Getting on the area rep is a good idea too, assuming he purchased the camera in his area.

A few years ago, we purchased some cameras from B&H (New York) and we're in California. Within 10 days of purchasing, one of the firewire ports went out, so I called my area rep. He basically said, in a nice way, you're SOL cause I ddin't buy it in his area. So depending, the rep may not be able to do anything. It's possible that the batteries are on back order too because of the popularity of the deal.

I could care less whether I sell the batteries or not. The point is, some people in this industry would rather see others crash and burn for selfish reasons. Others, such as me and the rest of my guys, will do what we can to help other people out if they are in a sticky situation.

Another possible solution, Adam, is go and purchase a battery belt or external battery. We picked one up a couple of weeks ago, 15 amp/hour belt for around $100, and a $10 cable from Radio Shack. It plugs into the DC plug of your camera, while still having mobility. The one we got powers are cameras for about 20 hours.
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #8
Trustee

Two thoughts:

1. If you contact an area rep, contact the one in the area of the dealer. I live in California, and I bought my camera from back east. The area rep from back east that covered my dealer took care of my problem.

2. If you get two more stock batteries, you might get another charger, also. Then get two more batteries. With four batteries charged and on the chargers, you should be able to shoot continuously.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 01:44 AM   #9
Major Player

Thank you everyone for your responses. I have a friend who has a couple of the stock batteries, so I will just borrow from him. I am just more concerned about when the IDX kit will arrive. When I purchased the camera, I bought extra IDX batteries. They are just sitting here unused with no way to charge them or connect them to my camera.... very frustrating.
Old February 4th, 2007, 08:01 AM   #10
New Boot

IDX battery

I bought my GY-HD110U in December. No IDX kit yet. Adorama is the dealer, and they've been about as evasive and difficult to deal with as is humanly possible. I have no idea whether an IDX kit has been ordered from JVC for me or not. My emails and phone calls are ignored. It's completely unclear to me whether I'll ever benefit from the IDX promotion.

My question is this: Who do I complain to? Adorama doesn't seem to care.
Matthew Cecil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Cecil
I bought my GY-HD110U in December. No IDX kit yet. Adorama is the dealer, and they've been about as evasive and difficult to deal with as is humanly possible. I have no idea whether an IDX kit has been ordered from JVC for me or not. My emails and phone calls are ignored. It's completely unclear to me whether I'll ever benefit from the IDX promotion.

My question is this: Who do I complain to? Adorama doesn't seem to care.

Matthew-

That is the same exact situation I am in, only a different dealer. I too bought my camera back in December and still no IDX kit yet.

My dealer did tell me that they had to send in some paperwork to get the IDX kit, which they said they did, but as of today still no battery kit and I am unable to get any information from the dealer. Everytime I call they tell me I have to talk to the sales guy who handled my purchase, and he is consistantly out of the office when I call and does not return my messages.
Old February 4th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Major Player

All the more reason to buy from a very reputable sales firm, even if it costs you a bit extra. Although we have purchased from many of the DVinfo.net sponsors, who are great, we use Full Compass who have never let us down. They are wonderful. Many of those "New York" addressed companies (excluding B&H) are total scams and will hustle you til their heart is content. How much money are you really saving if it affects the quality of your business? The amount we could lose over a couple hundred dollars saved is trmendous. I'm all for a good deal, but not when it is at the expense of your livelyhood.

BTW, we ordered from Full Compass, 2 new JVC HD-110 Cameras in the middle of January, the IDX kits shipped with them - overnight.
Old February 5th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #13
New Boot

Good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit Hannah
All the more reason to buy from a very reputable sales firm, even if it costs you a bit extra. Although we have purchased from many of the DVinfo.net sponsors, who are great, we use Full Compass who have never let us down. They are wonderful. Many of those "New York" addressed companies (excluding B&H) are total scams and will hustle you til their heart is content. How much money are you really saving if it affects the quality of your business? The amount we could lose over a couple hundred dollars saved is trmendous. I'm all for a good deal, but not when it is at the expense of your livelyhood.

BTW, we ordered from Full Compass, 2 new JVC HD-110 Cameras in the middle of January, the IDX kits shipped with them - overnight.
That's good advice, of course. But Adorama gets good ratings and isn't a fly-by-night operation. Add to that the requirement (state government) that we get multiple bids and purchase at the lowest price available, and it's hard to avoid the Adorama's of the world.

I will take a look at Full Compass for the rest of our gear, though. Thanks.
Matthew Cecil is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems