Help Help! refurbished gy 100u at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 10th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #1
New Boot

Help Help! refurbished gy 100u

HELLO , guys i really need your help, im about to buy a 'REFURBISHED" JVC100u from B-H and im wordering if any of you have done so, if so,
how good is it ,have you been having any problems? or what sould i look out for' what are the risks to have, by buying such,now i know that this may have been fixed but would this camera have the split screen problem; any advice, suggestions would be very cool.. wise me up with what you know
i have been selling everything i have in order to buy this camera,i have research for more than one month 1/2 and the jvc is the 'THING' at that price it tops the rest around the same price or even more
i got fcp5.0 mbp pro intel.
independents, documetaries, is where im goin.
thanks
Israel Monrroy Cabrera
cheers
Israel Monrroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 10:29 PM   #2
Major Player

It's probably not bad. The refurbished units are supposed to be up to spec of a new unit, although going this route, you're still going to have to look at a few different options, such as a battery package. The stock batteries are not great, and it only comes with one. I don't know if you've seen the HD-110 Promotion, but it comes with a $1200 IDX battery kit(you should be able to walk out of B&H WITH it), which is nice because it will last at least a few hours. We don't use tapes (go to firestore), and our battery powers the camera for about 6 hours. You would be lucky to get an hour out of the stock battery. Buying a new camera would be "ideal", because if you by the refurbished package and add on a battery package, you've spent about the same amount of money for a used camera that's a generation old rather than having the upgraded version. Buying new, you shouldn't have to worry about the quality issue.

But if money is a concern, and you're scraping together funds just to get the refurbished package, I would say go for it.

The other nice thing, since you're in New York, why not just go check it out and make sure?
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Trustee

How much do they want for the refurbished 100?

Here is the 110, new, and it comes with the free IDX battery -- about an $800 option (click the rebate button), and some tapes and a case -- worth $150 (and some kind of case is necessary for this camera) for $5099.95:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

If you are not shooting where you have access to AC, an IDX or similar battery is all but a necessity. The battery also adds some necessary balance for shoulder shooting.

I personally wouldn't by a refurbished demo unit from B&H. First, I think their demos probably have been handled quite a bit, though I'm sure they are in good shape. Second, the refurbished prices aren't that much lower than a new unit.

How much is the refurbished unit?

The 110 also has some improvements.

NOTE: The offers for the free battery and the free tapes are good until March 31, 2007.

I think you would be happier with a new camera if you can do it, and the free items make up the difference in price, I believe.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #4
New Boot

price of gy-dh100u

guys thanks for your help you are fast -cool. Jack the price is $3895 one year warranty from jvc, i wiil try to look into geting the new deal... but i think i can`t unfortunatly; my buget is barely covering, these 100u[REFURBISHED] YOU said the included battery lasts one ONE HOUR?.... ......
i know that i woud be better of ,and it would have more life than the 100u ... the deal for the 110 sounds too good but... money money
Now is there a big diference from the 100u to 110? besides been new-- Wich is it?
is there any body here who has upgrade from 100u to 110?
wew i never thought i would buy jvc- but they are too good. Won`t you think?

Last edited by Israel Monrroy; February 11th, 2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old February 11th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #5
Trustee

From what others have said, the included battery lasts about 40 minutes. Some people have gotten a couple of extras from people who don't use them, though I think they have paid something.

I think you will need some kind of case for this camera. Since it's long, most cases people have laying around won't fit it.

If you are going to shoot documentary style stuff, run an gun, etc. I think you need a pro battery for battery life and for balance.

I know that money is a big issue, but it is worth seeing if you can get the 110 with the battery, case and tapes. You have until the end of March.

I guess there is time pressure because the refurb 100s will be gone.

At the least, sit down and make a list of how you will shoot, everything your will need in the way of camera and accessories to shoot this -- and compare this to what exactly you will have. Are there any missing items that you must have? If so, the 100, at the lower price, won't be adequate.
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Trustee

You might also find a used HD100 that includes a pro battery, case, etc. for $4000 or less that has almost no hours on it. You could post an ad that you are looking in the private classified section on the forum.

There are a number of people who have used the HD100 who have bought a 200 or 250 or have changed cameras. Of course, there are the usual problems of buying from a private party. But you might find something from someone who has a track record.
Old February 11th, 2007, 01:49 PM   #7
New Boot

private classified jack?

oohh you been helpful... i know how inportant the batteries are ,i have shot movies as actor and director on so on, and yeah extremely necesary.
now how do i get to the private classifies- i m new in the forums, may yeah i can find a good one there...
thanks for your time
really appreciate
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Don't underestimate the point Jack makes about the balance of the camera with a Pro Battery pack. For doc work you will have to have one.

When I first received my HD100 I was waiting for the battery promo, so I purchased a few extra small batteries just to get by with until the AB battery arrived. Well, the funny thing is, and I don't know why, but the time on the little batteries really varied. Sometimes they would last 40 to 43 minutes and sometimes they would only last 30 minutes. Maybe once or twice one would last over 50 minutes, but the point I'm trying to get to here is it's very difficult to shoot with those small batteries when you can't depend on how long there going to last. And for the record I always drained them empty before I charged them back up.

Now, when the AB system arrived I thought that it would balance little better on my shoulder, but wow! It was a lot better. I always have it on my camera now, most of the time it's on a tripod, but when I want to go hand held, it feels great.

The way the HD series cameras balance with a battery pack is just one of the many features that make these cameras superior in the sub 10k price range.

I believe that a refurbished camera should be fine. And I would venture say that the risk factor probably isn't any higher than if you bought brand new. Either way there's always a very small chance something will be wrong. But remember JVC customer support is legendary for taking care of it's customers.

I would suggest you think through your purchase very carefully and consider this, your going to need more than a camera to accomplish your goals. I would say at very minimum you should budget for a pro battery, some filters ( clear, pol, an ND ) carrying case or bag, tripod and on and on and on. Sorry. Don't forget mics.

Bottom line is, eventually your going to need more money to shoot at this level....

I hope this helps.

Good Luck!
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Israel Monrroy
now how do i get to the private classifies- i m new in the forums, may yeah i can find a good one there...
To get to the Private Classifieds, go to the top of this page and click on the big DVi.

This will take you back to the table of contents for the forums. Go down the page about about 3/4 and you will see the link to the Private Classifieds.

Note: the Private Classifieds doesn't show up unless you are logged in.
Old February 11th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
oohh you been helpful... i know how inportant the batteries are ,i have shot movies as actor and director on so on, and yeah extremely necesary.
thanks for your time
really appreciate
Sorry Israel, I didn't see this post before I finished my reply.... The phone rang and...

I will be selling my HD100 fairly soon, when do you need one?

Here's my email if you would like some info..

Sunpath@Linkline.com
Old February 11th, 2007, 03:50 PM   #11
Major Player

I've bought factory refurbished and been quite happy - a b&H floor demo would be another story....
{non-sponsor reference deleted as per dvinfo policy} has new hd100s for $4,295 free shipping and no tax.
There are other options for battery on a budget.
You might be comfortable with an NRG belt for instance. I was told by JVC that the IDX NP-1 carrier and batterries I have on my GY-DV500 would work fine with the HD series.
Old February 11th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #12
Regular Crew

We purchased a refurbished HD100 and have yet to run into any serious problems.
Old February 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #13
New Boot

100u quest [i love movies]

by some crazy reason i can`t find the "classifies" i joined in january, so may be this is an issue.
if chris hurd sees this, maybe he will be able to tell me.
i will email you Sam, and get info. accesories waiting for

a JVCHDPRO,
i have a Rode ntg 2 shot gun to use it as a boom
is this a good mic for indoors and outdoors?
for the boom i have a koala fluffy[windshok + a very long boom cable
man i can`t wait to start making movies!

if any body has access to the classifies and goes there and sees a good deal and a jvc send me their info
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:17 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Druckerman
But remember JVC customer support is legendary for taking care of it's customers.
I wouldn't classify it as legendary. Many of times, you'll call that Customer Service number and no one answers, or it's an hour + wait to speak to someone just for them to tell you they have no info.

We had a problem with one of our DV-5000's and it took 6 weeks for them to turn around - that after having the camera for only 2 weeks. Pretty ugly. They replaced our heads that had less than 10 hours with used heads having almost 1000.

But I do agree with Sam and everybody else about the battery issue. You'll be tired of the regular batteries before you know it, probably in the first week or two. I would still go for the new package and try and get an extra credit card or something to cover the difference - it's well worth it.

Just to give you an idea of the battery - I have a former employee that still does freelance work for us, but his job now is a cameraman at one of the major local affiliate news stations. Even with the IDX battery kit, he mentioned how much more front heavy the camera is compared to the full size standard def panasonic's they use. So with that being said, with no IDX or AB kit on, it is going to be VERY front heavy. Using the IDX kit, I like the balance, but he didn't. And we get hours and hours of use out of the IDX kit.
Kit Hannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
by some crazy reason i can`t find the "classifies" i joined in january, so may be this is an issue.
if chris hurd sees this, maybe he will be able to tell me.
Unfortunately a couple casual members with low-post counts attempted to defraud other members in the classified section in the past year. The solution to the problem was to require a minimum number of real posts to be granted access for selling (and I believe buying/viewing) in the classifieds. I'm not sure what the magic number of posts is.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems