Can't capture 24p HD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old February 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #1
Major Player

Can't capture 24p HD

Hey, guys. I'm unable to capture footage shot in 720p hd, 24p with the jvc hd110. I have the newest version of FCP. Is there a particular capture preset I need to use? I keep getting the error that no device is detected. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:43 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph
Hey, guys. I'm unable to capture footage shot in 720p hd, 24p with the jvc hd110. I have the newest version of FCP. Is there a particular capture preset I need to use? I keep getting the error that no device is detected. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
First, make sure it is Final Cut Pro 5.1.2 not just 5.1.

Second, there is an easy Preset for 720/24P HDV. Make sure that is selected.

Third, make sure the camera is in VTR mode with the Firewire Switch in the HDV position, not DV.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM   #3
Major Player

I was able to capture footage, however, i'm getting dropped frames... the first i'd say... 10 seconds of each clip isn't being captured. Is this common? If anyone has a solution to this problem, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks a lot,
-Doug Joseph
Old February 21st, 2007, 04:16 AM   #4
Major Player

I had a weird problem with FCP 5.1.3 too... I captured HDV25p footage from my HD111 and it played FASTER (sped up a little) in FCP. Project was set to 25p, so was the footage... I don't see where this could have come from. I also have several other little quirks... I guess I won't go the FCP route (I have iMac for testing only).
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:05 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala
I had a weird problem with FCP 5.1.3 too... I captured HDV25p footage from my HD111 and it played FASTER (sped up a little) in FCP. Project was set to 25p, so was the footage... I don't see where this could have come from. I also have several other little quirks... I guess I won't go the FCP route (I have iMac for testing only).
Well, if you are on a Mac, then Avid is the only other option, and they have Zero support for 24/25P from the HD100. Either way, if you can try downloading DVHSCap and MPEG Streamclip (both are free). You can capture with DVHSCap, then transcode the .m2t file into any codec with MPEG Streamclip. Yes, it can be time consuming, but it will work.
Steve Benner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:58 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:

You cant blame FCP for this problem. I capture no problem so there must be something not right with the setup you have.
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson
You cant blame FCP for this problem. I capture no problem so there must be something not right with the setup you have.
I know I should first blame meself :o) But this iMac is clean and new, and I have absolutely no problems capturing and playing back the same footage in Premiere/Vegas/Liquid/whatever. I will probably go with Premiere with matrox rt.x2 and HP XW4400 workstation.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
I know I should first blame meself :o) But this iMac is clean and new, and I have absolutely no problems capturing and playing back the same footage in Premiere/Vegas/Liquid/whatever. I will probably go with Premiere with matrox rt.x2 and HP XW4400 workstation.

What I am saying is thousands of us use FCP and have no problems whatsoever. Sure, there is an issue with yours but think about it before you move to a virus attracting PC running Premiere or whatever.
I dont know anyone editing professionally on Premiere. All the best.
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:15 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
It sounds like you captured with HDV - Apple Intermediate Codec, which will use a default frame rate of 30, even though it only captures the 25 frames per second that you shot. You can remedy this in a few seconds with Cinema Tools' "conform" function.

In the future you should use the HDV capture setting to capture native HDV 25P.
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM   #10
Major Player

So, is there anyway at all to get FCP to stop dropping frames? The footage is 24p, 720p...

Last edited by Douglas Joseph; February 21st, 2007 at 10:55 PM.
Douglas Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems