4:2:2 component out? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala View Post
So, if I understand this correctly, outputting straight through component is like a direct-to-disk, hence used only in controlled environment?
well if you want to haul a desktop machine around you can record direct to HD in component, or SDI on a 250 in the field. for controlled situations, this is ok, but generally speaking its more of a pain than anything else. good for studio key work as the only situation I'd really reccomend it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Fiala View Post
There's no benefit in capturing component from tape, right? Thank you all very much for answers!
generally not for most work except....

1. deck may do some chroma smoothing that produces slightly more appealing look visiually. sony DVcam decks do this via SDI. can't say for JVC/sony HDV decks.we are talking *marginally* better or should I say different results. again if you go to DVCpro though, you loose enough resolution that I'd not really consider this, not to mention 14mb/sec vs 2.5mb/sec, almost a 5X factor.

2. if you need to push color correction, then capturing to 10bit uncompressed/lightly compressed might be an edge in finessing color correction. only something to consider once the cut is locked and you're just reloading a fine cut.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems