AB light on 100A keeps shutting down the cam at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 15th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #1
Inner Circle

AB light on 100A keeps shutting down the cam

OK I'm using someones HD100A right now-BTW it's a wonderful piece of gear.
anyway it has the IDX plate with the E7S batteries and on the mounting plate there is a power tap.
Being the AB user that I am I placed my AB Ultralite on the cam plugged it into the power tap and with the camera OFF I tried the light just to make sure I had power and sure enough it worked. I powered up the camera, switched on the light and the camera and light promptly powered OFF. "Dang it" I said! Well actually it was something else but being a family friendly forum...I thought I blew the fuse in the mounting plate but found thru trial and error that simply by removing the battery and then reattaching it to the camera the camera worked again. Now I did this 3 times just to make sure it wasn't an anomoly and I tried 2 different batteries with the same result.
I would really like to use the AB light so if anyone has any thoughts about this let me know. Oh BTW the light is running a 35W bulb and the battery mounting plate says its good for a 50W device. Also both batteries were at 100% power. Like I said any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Which IDX battery are you using?

Edit- I see you wrote the E7S- never mind.
Justin Ferar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Got me.:-) I had to think about that for a second-for my other cams I use the Dionic90s so these IDX are new to me but I did some math and since the battery is 71w/h and the camera pulls 17w and the light with a 35W bulb pulls about 11 or 12W according to my math it's a total of 29W being used up. The battery should have enough to power it not for long but long enough.
I'm still stumped :-(
HELP!
O|O
\_/

Don
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Don, YOU NEED TO SWITCH THE TIP ON THE LIGHT, i think is a short in the circuit. invert the wiring position.
if you read the intructions that came with the plate and the battery you will learn what i'm talking about.
Hope it helps

William
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:06 PM   #5
Inner Circle

William-I just found the paperwork for the plate and lo an behold that's what it said! Thanks for the tip-I really wish i didn't have to do that because the 100 isn't mine and I'm only using for a short time. Since most of what I do is on another cam that uses the ABs I'd probably forget to switch it back and blow something up :-)
I'll figure something out though (like maybe getting a 2nd AB light)

Thanks again for the tip

Don
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Okis! Another Happy Customer!
William Osorio is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems