DV Rack with the HD100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 19th, 2007, 11:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

DV Rack with the HD100

Been looking at DV Rack HD 2.0 as a 720p25 HDV ingest option (given it doesn't look like Avid will be supporting the HD100 properly anytime soon).

Can anyone comment on how well DV Rack 2.0 works with the HD100 doing 720p25?

Also I noticed DV Rack 2 can supposedly record straight to DVCPro HD QuickTime files ready for fast import into Avid, has anyone tried this?
Shaun Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #2
Trustee

I have used DVrack for a couple of years, SD version, and I just upgraded to the HD version to use with the HD110.

If you are in a situation where you can be hooked to a computer (the legal limit disance is about 16 feet), DV Rack has some great features in addition to the ability to record the video.

I can't tell you about the formats, but DV Rack HD is available as a trial version:
https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/i...product=dvrack You can download it and try it yourself and see if it works the way you would like.

As you know, Serious Magic was just bought by Adobe. To me this is a very positive thing. I base this judgment on Adobe's acquisition of CoolEdit Pro -- a program I have used for years and now called Adobe Audition under the Adobe label. Adobe did a fantastic job turning a great program into a fantastic program, and with the last release, adding all the features that were still missing.

I expect that Adobe will do just as fine a job with DV Rack -- or at least I have no reason to expect they won't. Even if you don't use Premiere, the other Adobe products are a great package, and I'm sure DV Rack will be well integrated with some new features to make it even more useful than it already is when working with Illustrator, Encore, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Audition, etc.

Anyway, this possible integration is only a side benefit. DV Rack is a great program if it fits into the way you are working But go ahead and get the trial.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 05:20 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Wilson View Post

Also I noticed DV Rack 2 can supposedly record straight to DVCPro HD QuickTime files ready for fast import into Avid, has anyone tried this?
I think you need an HVX200 to achieve this. I think I read this somewhere.

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:24 AM   #4

HDRack has a small,but, apparent, time lag between what you see and what you record on the monitor. This is because of the processing time for m2t files.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:35 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ravens View Post
HDRack has a small,but, apparent, time lag between what you see and what you record on the monitor. This is because of the processing time for m2t files.
...and firewire latency.
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Major Player

I think Paolo Ciccone has been using DVRACK with the HD100 for some time now, and he seems to swear by it. Perhaps Paolo himself will tell you of his experience with DVRACK.
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM   #7
Major Player

For what it's worth, I've used DVrack (the HDV version) with the HD100U, recording 720p 24.

I can't imagine working without it. I recently had an issue where I had tape dropouts like mad (the camera's in a jvc center right now) rendering the dv tape unusable.

The dvrack .m2t files came out fine. Without it, we would've lost a whole day of filming. Plus, the whole suite of tools like the vectorscope, etc make it invaluable.

I don't know if this applies to you, but we are a small group of filmmakers working with very few resources, and this software has greatly extended the quality of our work.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Stevens View Post
For what it's worth, I've used DVrack (the HDV version) with the HD100U, recording 720p 24.

I can't imagine working without it. I recently had an issue where I had tape dropouts like mad (the camera's in a jvc center right now) rendering the dv tape unusable.
Hi Dennis,

Have you had success calibrating color and focusing with dv rack?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:13 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
Hi Dennis,

Have you had success calibrating color and focusing with dv rack?
To be honest, I just Paolo's TruColor settings, and depend on the focus assist in the camera.

To be more honest, I have a recent film graduate who works with me, and is more technically proficient than me. So he'd be in a better position to judge that question, and I'll ask him.

For me, I have the safety of the .m2t files on the laptop, and can judge the framing and the actor's performances much better on the laptop screen than on the camera.
Dennis Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Well I got an answer back from someone at Serious Magic - looks like the source needs to be DVCPro HD for it to go to QuickTime, HDV can only stay as m2t.

It's likely I'll end up investing in DV Rack anyway, certainly looks like a solid app, and I'm keen to see what Adobe do with it (I too was impressed with what happened to Cool Edit, and I was worried about that one at first). I imagine we'll here something about a new DV Rack at NAB.

Quote:
You can download it and try it yourself and see if it works the way you would like.
Unfortunately the trial is limited to SD so I can't test it's HDV abilities...
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:05 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Hey everyone,

Do you think that if I were to purchas DV Rack HD now, and Adobe suddenly (or later) came out with the drastically improved version, that I could easily and cheaply upgrade?

Thanks
Brian Orser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Unfortunately the trial is limited to SD so I can't test it's HDV abilities...
Really!!? It never used to be. I have used the trial myself and recommended it to many others.
Old March 20th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Yeah I had a go of the DV Rack 1.3 trial yonks ago which could do HD, but the DV Rack 2 demo can't.
Old June 24th, 2007, 12:00 PM   #14
Major Player

hdv rack focusing

but does anyone have any evaluations on the previous question of HDV Rack providing suitable images for focusing in the field?

Daniel
www.stock20.com
Daniel Rudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Rotation??

Does anyone know if DVrack has the ability to rotate the 720p 24 image 180 degrees upon capture? I have 40 hours of upsidedown footage (Redrock M2) that needs to be captured into Avid Liquid.

Quote:
Been looking at DV Rack HD 2.0 as a 720p25 HDV ingest option (given it doesn't look like Avid will be supporting the HD100 properly anytime soon).

Can anyone comment on how well DV Rack 2.0 works with the HD100 doing 720p25?

Jon Springer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems