GY-HD110u No supplied Firewire Cable? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old March 29th, 2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HD110u No supplied Firewire Cable?

Just got an HD110U and did not find the referenced 6 pin to 6pin firewire cable in the box. Doesn't this camera come with a supplied firewire cable or was it just ommitted from my box?
Also, any recomendations on a suitable laptop for using DV Rack with this camera? most laptops have 4 pin firewire etc. Also read that a 7200rpm hard drive is needed for HDV? Just want to be clear about it. Thanks for any help anyone can offer!
Jay Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:13 PM   #2
New Boot

No I dont think the firewirecable is included, it is not on the supplied accessories list in the manual. But you can find such a cable in just about any
computer store. If you havent read the posting " ALERT: Power OFF when connecting Firewire or switching HDV/DV " read it carefully (its one of the "sticky" threads just above here). Basicly what it says is that it is only too easy to blow your firewire connection on your HD 110, so first get a
high quality cable, second be aware of that with a 6 pin to 6 pin firewire-
connection there is a risk that the 12 volt supply voltage from your computer might get into your HD 110 and do damage. To avoid this always have both
your HD 110 and your computer turned off when connecting the firewire cable. Personally I use a 6 pin to 4 pin firewirecable (also aviable in any
computer store) with this I connect to my laptop (a Vaio with a 5400 rpm
hard disk that works with HD - but with little margin). when I connect to
my "normal" computer I use an adaptor 4 pin to 6 pin in the computer end
in this way I only need one firewirecable and by useing this adaptor i block the 12 volt as there is no 12 volt pin on a 4 pin firewireconnection.
Christian
Christian Stormbom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the warning regarding the 6 pin potential hazard, very glad to be aware of that!
How important is it to have the core filters on the cables?
Old March 29th, 2007, 04:31 PM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Webster View Post
Thanks for the warning regarding the 6 pin potential hazard, very glad to be aware of that!
How important is it to have the core filters on the cables?
There have been threads in the past about the core filters, and several of the oldest owners of the HD100 have said to definitely use them. Other than that I can't say much.

Regarding DV Rack, be sure the laptop has the required video capabilities and memory. There are specs on the DV Rack site. Many laptops don't come with proper video cards in the base configuration, and a configuration with a video upgrade is necessary. Also, even though a laptop may have the minimum required ram, it may not be enough if this ram is shared with another function (which was the case I had and had to add more memory). DV Rack will not run if the computer is below the required specs, though these specs are not at all unreasonable.

Regarding firewire cable, use a 6-pin to 4-pin for the laptop. You can also get little adapters that go from 6-pin to 4-pin if youre cable and ports don't match. Since the extra two wires carry power, and you don't need it with DV rack, you may save a problem with the 4-pin connection as mentioned above.

Regarding firewire length... the maximum legal length is about 16 feet. Some people have luck going farther than these, but sometimes it doesn't work... probably depending on cable, connection, interference, length, exact signal, etc. I believe there are "boosters" or "repeaters" that will let you go farther than the 16 feet.

Right now I use a 16 foot 4-pin to 4-pin very good quality name brand (though not more than a couple dollars more than the generic unbranded cable with bad connectors) cable and a 4-pin to 6-pin adapter into the camera. It works fine with DV rack.

Be sure to tie down the cables going into the camera (all of them, such as firewire, component, etc.) so they don't put stress on the camera's connectors, and so they can't get yanked sideways and damage the camera.

Last edited by Jack Walker; March 29th, 2007 at 07:21 PM.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for the input Jack.
Yeah, I am a bit worried about the connection integrity, I guess I am about to learn the hard way once again!
Thanks again.
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:59 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hey,
How come I have "tourist" after my post name???
That's kinda an isult around my parts, but maybe I'm doing something wrong too????
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Webster View Post
Hey,
How come I have "tourist" after my post name???
That's kinda an isult around my parts, but maybe I'm doing something wrong too????
The appelation changes with the number of posts you make. Yours will change with a few more posts.

The motherships thunder in with close to 10,000 posts each.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems