Noise on HD200/250 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 2nd, 2007, 07:40 AM   #16
Major Player

I tried too. It dosn't work.
E
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:01 AM   #17
Major Player

Funny, the link is to a .mov file, but when I right click to dl linked file in safari, it just downloads a html page with the .mov link in a frame. Maybe .mac trickery?
In any case, I just left the page open for a while, and the .mov eventually loaded.

This issue we are looking at is all very important stuff to those of with 200 series cameras and those considering them, so I hope we can keep this on the ball, and share settings that help, as well as consider the possibility and need for firmware changes etc.

I love the look and feel of this camera, but I can see that the noise I have in some shots would be an issue, especially if displayed larger. I also suspect that noise puts quite a bit more stress on the codec, which is already working like a demon! (I mean that in a good way!)
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:39 PM   #18
Major Player

Not just those who are intending to purchase - but those who have purchased expecting better results and have not got them as well
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2007, 09:44 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke View Post
I tried. It just says there is an error opening. There is no option to Save As.
It is in my public folder, so you can drag and drop form there as well.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 10:21 PM   #20
Major Player

HD200 struggling still(s)

Combing through this forum daily makes me feel like a seagull following a charter boat, just waiting for the fishermen to throw out some scraps...

I'm definitely keyed in on this noise issue because sometimes I've got it
http://www.gotagteam.com/images/Sach...mattBeach2.jpg

and sometimes I don't
http://www.gotagteam.com/images/Sach...es/flowers.jpg

Surely I've noticed the noise most often in the lower light areas, but in a clear blue sky at 2pm in the afternoon?
http://www.gotagteam.com/images/Sach...mages/gull.jpg

I'm sure anxious to learn what the hell I'm missing here...
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:24 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
It is in my public folder, so you can drag and drop form there as well.
Got it. I know what the problem is. It says I need certain components to play it and it takes me to apple's plug in website. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resou...btype=68647634

Problem is I don't know which one to download. Any suggestions?
Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:09 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke View Post
Got it. I know what the problem is. It says I need certain components to play it and it takes me to apple's plug in website. http://www.apple.com/quicktime/resou...btype=68647634

Problem is I don't know which one to download. Any suggestions?
You don't need any of those components.

If you have FCP 5.1.2 properly installed it will play fine. It was simply captured native QT HDV 720p24 and saved as a native QT HDV 720P24 file, so it is equivalent to camera original.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:46 PM   #23
Major Player

Yeah, the colors on the HD200 look better and more saturated throughout. But it's not a big surprise because the Cine-like and standard config of the HD100 color matrix were rather dull to begin with. That's what started Paulo and Stephen on their quest for better colors to begin with. It wouldn't surprise me if JVC changed the defaults on the new model based on what they found.

What would be interesting to see is if you could calibrate each camera with a DSC chart until they both read the same and then do the various gamma and scene tests. Also I find it much more helpful to point the camera at people and scenery when doing comparisons. Charts never give you what you really need to know -how it works in the real world and how the images make you feel.

Hopefully there is a fix for the noise issue. I too find it to be somewhat random. I've never seen it on sky that bad before... Could operating temperature be a factor? Humidity?
Chad Terpstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM   #24
Major Player

no - i definately think its a hardware problem - everyone whom i have met so far (that hasnt been shooting in very well lit situations - actually looking at those images - even some very will lit situations) has had noise problems. We need to get some kind of official finding on the topic - so i think Tim should make his best effort as soon as possible (if not Tim someone else - although Tim's expertise is always great) to do a comparison and make an 'official' finding
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #25
Major Player

any news Tim?
Old April 5th, 2007, 06:51 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
You don't need any of those components.

If you have FCP 5.1.2 properly installed it will play fine. It was simply captured native QT HDV 720p24 and saved as a native QT HDV 720P24 file, so it is equivalent to camera original.
This file will not play on my system either. Is there a direct link to the file so I can try in VLC?
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 05:10 AM   #27
Major Player

Please guys don't let this thread die

it's like so close to my purchase now, and I'm really still in the balance, everything in your head says the HD200 is the obvious choice, but if you image is going to be poor vs the HD110 under similar circumstances. Then it's hard to convince yourself to fork out the extra $2000.

Tim, without trying to pester you as I'm sure you very busy, are you at least part way into your findings? Can you give us a part update?

Appreciate your hard work and contribution to the community.

Cheers

Adam
Adam Letch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #28
Major Player

Ok, I've just had an example of very noisy image in a well exposed picture (a lot of sky, sun behind dark clouds. It's the mosquito quilt look. No gain, no slow shutter. Meanwhile other shots are smooth as silk. I can't figure it out.
Either there is some adjustment that needs to be made with the camera, or I have to figure how to avoid this with specific settings.
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #29
Major Player

yes very similar symptoms to my cam. I attempted to film yesterday mornings sun rise - but with the gain low and no slow shutter is just got some kind of muddled mess of an image far from what i should be expecting

Last edited by Tyson Perkins; April 12th, 2007 at 06:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old April 12th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #30
Major Player

could you possibly upload a still from your images Sean?
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems