HD110: Are all the kinks out? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 3rd, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1
New Boot

HD110: Are all the kinks out?

After reviewing much of what has been posted on this board about the HD100, I get the impression that there have been less problems with the HD110 than with its predecessor. Is that so, or is it too soon to tell? With a few minor differences it appears to be basically the same camera, but fewer problems, like the dreaded SSE, are being reported. Has there been a quality control improvement? Fewer new cameras seem to be leaving the plant with major quality issues.
George Huczek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #2
Major Player

George

I've had an HD100 since last June and so far haven't had any problems with it. I think all the reported bugs where ironed out before then. The HD110 is an update that adds image flip to the view finder/LCD, etc.

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #3
New Boot

George:

My first post here on these forums. . .been reading for awhile, finally decided to join in the discussions.

I just received my HD110U last week. According to the vendor from whom I purchased it they received it in their shop in January '07 from JVC. So I'm assuming its one of the more recent models off the assembly line.

Although I haven't done any serious shooting with it yet (first shoot is in a few weeks) my tests with it have been very positive and largely trouble-free. I have, however, seen some mild evidence of the dreaded SSE but it was only during the first few minutes of camera warm-up and only in extremely dark conditions. I've tried on a couple of occassions since to get it to repeat the SSE and haven't been able to yet. Still, I'm prepared to send it back to JVC for recalibration if it shows up again.

Other than that I've experienced no other issues thus far and, overall, I have to say I'm very impressed with the look and feel of the camera. I started off shooting with largely Betacam gear back in the day, then switched to DV when I started up my business. After shooting largely with a Canon XL-1 for the past 4 years it feels really good to be back with a manual lens and the mini-Betacam feel of the 110's layout and ergonomics.

For what it's worth that's my two cents, George.

Tim
Tim Ristow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:57 AM   #4
Major Player

Apparently the SSE issue has something to do with differing temperatures of the 2 sides of the CCDs (left and right), so allowing the camera at least 10 mins to warm up should avoid this problem. I'm lead to beleive that the A upgrade should no longer me needed as all cameras are correctly calibrated in the factory.

I've never noticed it in my footage.

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems