JVC general question - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 10th, 2007, 07:07 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp View Post
This camera takes somewhat longer to get used to... I've had virtually all DV25 professional Camcorders (all 3 brands, too) and a share of consumer stuff before that (Canon XL1, XL2, even a Pana MS4E, where are the days - and I'm not even 30). Unlike those camera's where the transition is relatively easy, the HD1xx was harder to adapt to: probably because of the HD and the progressive nature. Setting backfocus is a lot harder then with SD cams (and it takes a lot longer), progressive isn't forgiving on camera movements (and to make things worse: you see 50p in the viewfinder, where only 25p is recorded).

Not only will you need to read up on all technical details you still don't know about, you'll need to practice, practice, practice (and build something like a 10-year-experience-of-shooting-equivalent within the time you depart to India...)
Hi Werner,
I would like to butt in here and say a huge "thanks" for guiding me in the use of my JVC camera. As you know, I was about to ditch it because of the progressive nature of shooting and after your advice and much practise, I have grown to love the images i now get. If it wasnt for you, I would not have believed the difference in shooting style needed. I shoot entirely different and even though I shoot TV commercials and have always shot in SD, I now shoot in HDV at all times. "Thank You" for taking the time to help.
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #17
Major Player

No problem, happy to help...

And ans you state here yourself, practice is what it is all about - our newbie friend here will hopefully feel the same as he completes some time practicing...

By the way - can I use that response as 'testimonial' on my website? :-)

Last edited by Werner Wesp; April 11th, 2007 at 05:03 AM.
Werner Wesp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #18
New Boot

Problem with rendering

I shot a few footage with the JVC HD110. I shot on DV 24P format. The footage that I shot was then captured on FCP using DV NTSC capture. When I render my sequence the FCP takes too long. It took 30 minutes to render 10 minute clip. Something is wrong. Any ideas?

Do I have to keep the capture setting as DV NTSC 24P?

The camera makes a noise shooting even in good light, I can hear it like the rolling of tape, is it natural? But the noise is not recorded on tape, but my audio recorder with shotgun mic picks it up, though not so loud.
Kalsang Ringchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2007, 04:50 AM   #19
Regular Crew

If it's taking so long to render, it would mean your sequence settings are obviously clashing with your capture settings. Right click on a sequence, then a the bottom click "settings" (ithink) and check that it matches your capture settings.

Even easier, get your Easy Set-up right before capturing. Try the Editing on a Mac forum, you'll be able to sort yourself out in there.

As for the camera making a noise, that's perfectly normal when the tape is rolling, but it should never intrude on your mic's unless you've got them very close to the unit.

"camera makes a noise shooting even in good light".... now you've lost me there! Do you mean noise as in grain? In that case you might have too much gain. Check your gain settings and filters on the left hand side near the front.

Hope that helps!

Neil.
Neil Rostance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 07:38 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werner Wesp View Post
No problem, happy to help...

And ans you state here yourself, practice is what it is all about - our newbie friend here will hopefully feel the same as he completes some time practicing...

By the way - can I use that response as 'testimonial' on my website? :-)
Hi Werner,
you sure can. Happy to help.
Regards,
Dennis
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:50 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom View Post
wh=Watt hours. The camera pulls 17W and the battery is 71W fully charged. 17 divided into 71 = about 4 hours IF you have no other gear pulling off the battery and IIRC the 17W is without the LCD open and running- Figure about 3.5 to 4 hours of run time. Gotta have at least 2 batteries - 3 is better.

Don

I've gotten better out of my IDX. 3 hours tape running, plus 30 minutes on in standby with LCD open powering a Senhizer 48 phantom and still having 2 lights green on charge. Maybe they sent me a bigger battery, or the 2nd half is faster drain than the first half?
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #22
Major Player

I've noticed a faster drain on the second half. if you're talking about the ES7 endura battery.
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson View Post
As you know, I was about to ditch it because of the progressive nature of shooting and after your advice and much practise, I have grown to love the images i now get.
I'm sorry, but I am completely mystified as to why you would pick an interlaced camera over a progressive for fast motion. Interlacing is what destroys smooth motion. If you are talking about temporal resolution and motion blur, the shutter is much more important. The HD200 can record 720/60p, which is superior in every way to 720/60i.
Old May 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM   #24
Major Player

ProHD Handbook

Steven, as I live in Czech Republic, Europe, I wonder if you ship overseas? I would like to get my hands on your ProHD book.

I think I'm beginning to get a grip on my HD111, but I'm sure your book would get me up and running much faster. Thanks!

Edit: oh, please disregard my message, I've (finally...) found that your book is PDF download only. I will pick one for sure.

Last edited by Jiri Fiala; May 26th, 2007 at 03:07 PM.
Jiri Fiala is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems