Help with setting up two DR-100's (2 camera shoot) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old April 21st, 2007, 01:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Help with setting up two DR-100's (2 camera shoot)

I've got a two camera shoot coming up on April 23rd.

We will be using two HD-110's, each connected to a DR-100.
We will be editing in FCP, so we are recording QT.

We are shooting time of day in free run, so the cameras will have pretty good sync.
We must shoot Ext TC and the camera has to be on Free Run, according to Focus.

The file name is taken from the date/time, then a clip number is added.
That means both DR-100's will have identical file/clip names?

Is there any setting I can set so that one DR-100's file/clip names have a B or a 2 in there? (2nd camera), and the other has an A or 1 (master camera)?

Or, any other way the editor will be able to tell by file/clip name which camera the shot came from?

The only other way I can think of, is to set the Time of Day starting 12 hours apart.

thanks for any insight,

regards,

bt
BT Corwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT Corwin View Post
I've got a two camera shoot coming up on April 23rd.

We will be using two HD-110's, each connected to a DR-100.
We will be editing in FCP, so we are recording QT.

We are shooting time of day in free run, so the cameras will have pretty good sync.
We must shoot Ext TC and the camera has to be on Free Run, according to Focus.

The file name is taken from the date/time, then a clip number is added.
That means both DR-100's will have identical file/clip names?

Is there any setting I can set so that one DR-100's file/clip names have a B or a 2 in there? (2nd camera), and the other has an A or 1 (master camera)?

Or, any other way the editor will be able to tell by file/clip name which camera the shot came from?

The only other way I can think of, is to set the Time of Day starting 12 hours apart.

thanks for any insight,

regards,

bt
I know that the 110's will timecode sync if you hook them up via a firewire cable and then sync them. That solves the problem of getting frame accurate timecode. As far as the file issues for A camera vs B camera, your files should end up labeled the same in theory. My thought would be to use a program that you can process all the files from each camera to add an "A" or "B" to the file name. AKA: process all the files from A camera to add an A, and then process all the B camera files.

Does this make sense?

There might also be a way in the DR-100 to customized how file names are done. I haven't explored my FS-4 HD to findout, but it would be nice since the files are not as useful named as I would like.

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM   #3
New Boot

You can use AppleScript, Automator, or a shell script to rename all of the files.
-or-
You can just move the files into appropriately named folders.

When you import them into FCP, put them in separate bins.

I know how I'd do it, because I'm an old Un*x hacker and I know my way around the csh (command line). If you're not afraid of the terminal thing, then open terminal, "cd /Volumes", then change directory (cd) into the volume with the files (use "ls" to list volumes once in the /Volumes folder).

The command to rename all .mov files would look something like this;

for i in *.mov; do bn=`basename "$i" .mov`; mv "$i" "${bn}_A.mov"; done

What that command would do is to cycle through each file in the current folder with a ".mov" at the end, strip the ".mov" off of the name and add an _A to the end of the remaining part with the .mov appended, rename the file with the new name, and loop until all files had been renamed. The quotes around basename ... must be the backwards single quote that is on the same key as the tilde (~), or it won't work. The double quotes are necessary if there are any spaces in the file names.

It may sound complicated, but that's the fastest way I know to do it. If you're unsure, practice in a folder with one or two files you don't care about, so you can easily fix any funny names you may create. Just change the _A.mov to _B.mov for camera B!
Douglas Toltzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Regular Crew

thanks all!

Matt from Focus Enhancements emailed me with a good suggestion - change the date to 2008 on one camera.

I think I'll go that route.

But, Douglas, I'll save your reply - and give it a practice try.

thanks very much!

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Toltzman View Post
You can use AppleScript, Automator, or a shell script to rename all of the files.
-or-
You can just move the files into appropriately named folders.

When you import them into FCP, put them in separate bins.

I know how I'd do it, because I'm an old Un*x hacker and I know my way around the csh (command line). If you're not afraid of the terminal thing, then open terminal, "cd /Volumes", then change directory (cd) into the volume with the files (use "ls" to list volumes once in the /Volumes folder).

The command to rename all .mov files would look something like this;

for i in *.mov; do bn=`basename "$i" .mov`; mv "$i" "${bn}_A.mov"; done

What that command would do is to cycle through each file in the current folder with a ".mov" at the end, strip the ".mov" off of the name and add an _A to the end of the remaining part with the .mov appended, rename the file with the new name, and loop until all files had been renamed. The quotes around basename ... must be the backwards single quote that is on the same key as the tilde (~), or it won't work. The double quotes are necessary if there are any spaces in the file names.

It may sound complicated, but that's the fastest way I know to do it. If you're unsure, practice in a folder with one or two files you don't care about, so you can easily fix any funny names you may create. Just change the _A.mov to _B.mov for camera B!
BT Corwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems