Quick release shoe/front base at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 9th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Quick release shoe/front base

So after I added the IDX battery and Firestore FS-4HD to my 110U, the camera doesn't quite balance on my Sachtler Video 18 head! So now I am looking at using the quick release system to further push the camera forward on the head. I have a friend the is going to give me a Sony VCT-U14 quick release plate, but now I need the v-mount shoe to go on the bottom of the camera.

I emailed Carl at JVC (thanks for the reply!), but alas the parts if ordered from JVC are going to be at least $191 for the front base (part: SC32367H-001) and shoe (part: LW30353-001A-H). I know that this is the exact same part as on Sony/Panasonic/JVC cameras so I was hoping to save some money by either buying the cheaper sony parts, or finding them used.

So does anyone know what the two part numbers are for the Sony adapter? Or is it considered just one part by sony? Or where I might find one used? It just seems a little ridiculous to pay $300 for something you could probably piece together for under $150.

Matthew
Attached Images

Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Major Player

Brother. I believe I may have a spare...

Yup, I do. Email me.
Eric Gulbransen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Don't assume the sony plate will work on your camera. It may be less of an issue with the 100 series which only uses the front toe section, but when I bought my camera, I tried to find a more economical solution than the plate made for these cameras (include with 250 btw). However similar the plates look and function, there are differences in dimension and mounting. I was hoping that the plate for my JVC GY-DV500 would work, but no. It's made for a different length between front and back clips.
For a HD100, I beleive the camera plates are totally useless (even potentially risky for disengaging), since they don't hook into the rear. I was shocked when I first saw one (poorly setup mind you). If I were you, I would just look for an simple metal extension offset plate to attach to your tripod quick release. These are commonly used for prompter and various jib and other rig setups. A machinist could make one in 2 minutes. Just a plate with threaded holes for camera and tripod plate so you can offset mount the camera within range of your tripods balance settings. You'd probably just keep it attached to the tripod plate if they live together.
I have a spare toe clip too. It came with the JVC plate, but the HD200 already had one mounted. The black section has the SC3 number, and there is a triangular metal toe screwed to it. Or is it the receiving part you need?
I'm actually looking at removing a bit of metal from mine so it can slip into the IDX v battery mount. I have the powerlink models and it would make a neat removable wireless or firestore plate.
Good luck rigging! let us know when it's solved!
Old May 9th, 2007, 03:46 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
Don't assume the sony plate will work on your camera. It may be less of an issue with the 100 series which only uses the front toe section, but when I bought my camera, I tried to find a more economical solution than the plate made for these cameras (include with 250 btw). However similar the plates look and function, there are differences in dimension and mounting. I was hoping that the plate for my JVC GY-DV500 would work, but no. It's made for a different length between front and back clips.
For a HD100, I beleive the camera plates are totally useless (even potentially risky for disengaging), since they don't hook into the rear. I was shocked when I first saw one (poorly setup mind you). If I were you, I would just look for an simple metal extension offset plate to attach to your tripod quick release. These are commonly used for prompter and various jib and other rig setups. A machinist could make one in 2 minutes. Just a plate with threaded holes for camera and tripod plate so you can offset mount the camera within range of your tripods balance settings. You'd probably just keep it attached to the tripod plate if they live together.
I have a spare toe clip too. It came with the JVC plate, but the HD200 already had one mounted. The black section has the SC3 number, and there is a triangular metal toe screwed to it. Or is it the receiving part you need?
I'm actually looking at removing a bit of metal from mine so it can slip into the IDX v battery mount. I have the powerlink models and it would make a neat removable wireless or firestore plate.
Good luck rigging! let us know when it's solved!
If the shoe for the bottom of the camera is correct, it should work much better than just putting the tripod quick release on with the 1/4" screw. Why? Well, with the 1/4" screw, you are only connecting the camera with the quick release plate at 1 point. With the shoe mount, you are putting the stress out over 4 points. Even though it is a small area where all the stress is happening, I feel like 4 points are much better than 1. I would also imagine that since the JVC engineers designed it to take such a plate, it should support it just fine (knock on wood.)

I thought about doing the extension bar, but if I did that I could not use the camera on my shoulder because the bar would be in the way. I wish I could do this because it would be cheap and easy.

For attaching my FS-4HD to the IDX battery mount, I went to Lowes and bought a large metal wiring box cover and then used a jig saw with a metal blade to cut it to the shape I needed. Then I used the two, tapped, screw holes for the wireless receiver bracket to mount it to the adapter. Works like a charm and with a little black spray paint looks nice. However, it makes the back end fairly heavy..sigh...

Matthew
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #5
Major Player

...and how does the camera plate attach to the tripod plate? with a screw. You might be able to get a second screw between these plates, but it doesn't always work out that way. I agree that if the offset plate extends past your shoulder mount it will get uncomfortable, and removing it will be inconvenient to a level that compromises many types of shoot. Have you checked how much you need?
Most of us 200 users will probably end up with the 2nd toe, and it looks like you have one coming to you already. hope it works out. I'm still not clear about the 2nd part you need.

I'm also still curious about the adapter you made. Did you cut out a V to fit into the batterry mount socket like I'm envisioning, or is it mounted to the camera/batterry plate?
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
...and how does the camera plate attach to the tripod plate? with a screw. You might be able to get a second screw between these plates, but it doesn't always work out that way. I agree that if the offset plate extends past your shoulder mount it will get uncomfortable, and removing it will be inconvenient to a level that compromises many types of shoot. Have you checked how much you need?
Most of us 200 users will probably end up with the 2nd toe, and it looks like you have one coming to you already. hope it works out. I'm still not clear about the 2nd part you need.

I'm also still curious about the adapter you made. Did you cut out a V to fit into the batterry mount socket like I'm envisioning, or is it mounted to the camera/batterry plate?
I'm not worried about the screw breaking or anything. What I am worried about is the plastic that the one screw goes into in the bottom of the 110u. If I put on the v shore, then there are four screws that go into the plastic, not one--therefore spreading the weight over four points, not one. Do you see what I'm saying? It would be nice if the JVC was like a normal broadcast camera and connected at the back of the quick release plate also (I think the battery adapter rests on the plate, correct?)

The two parts I was talking about, you might be thinking as one. One part is the V shoe, and the other part is the black piece that the v goes on (JVC just has it as a lot of little pieces.)

Attached are pictures of my HD mount. See if they make sense.

Matthew
Attached Thumbnails
Quick release shoe/front base-jvc1.jpg   Quick release shoe/front base-jvc2.jpg  

Quick release shoe/front base-jvc3.jpg  
Old May 9th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #7
Major Player

I have the HD200, and the 2 areas of the camera we are talking about are different. I'm very happy that the rear of the HD200 does dock into the camera plate, like other broadcast cameras. The front metal shoe is deliverd on the camera stock, so there is a metal threaded hold for mounting. A plastic threaded hole to mount the camera DOES sound frightening.

Re the part I have (that is included with the JVC plate), it sounds like it is all you need (if it truly fits well into the sony plate), and that is why I asked about the description. It looks like Eric is offerring you one, which I hope works out, since I'm still interested in modding mine for the rear mount, wasteful as that might seem.

Your pictures answer my question. The IDX mount is different on the 200 series, since it has the rear extension and is built for the included pro battery mount (no slot for the wimpy batts). This system however does not have the metal plate behind with the holes for mounting an extension. This is an expensive option for us. I'm still thinking about fabricating something myself, but it will involve opening up the batterry plate mount, and getting some metal extension to put a bracket on. I do expect to get a HD - hopefully sooner rather than later, and I'll need a place for the wireless too.
Since I have the enduras which piggyback, hooking on the back of the battery seems a good option for the wireless receiver. The toe will fit snugly in the v mount with a little metal removed, and it should be pretty neat.
Old May 10th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #8
Inner Circle

You could use a Ronford quick release. I use one on my Sachtler Horizon head when shooting with an Aaton so that the camera can be fore/aft balanced.

I've also used it on the HD 100 when using my old Ronford F 4 head (which is great).

http://www.ronfordbaker.co.uk/gen_access.html
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Gulbransen View Post
Brother. I believe I may have a spare...

Yup, I do. Email me.
Hey Eric, I PMed you, but haven't heard back. Just wanted to make sure you got my msg.

Thanks,

Matthew
Matthew Rogers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems