Firmware update for HD200/250 'minimizes' FCP ingest issues - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 12th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler View Post
Well, the update went fine over here, but it sure doesn't help that ridiculous 7 second delay in recognizing the dv start/stop. It's more infuriating than I can to get into. Seriously - I can't stand it.

Is anyone else having HDV capture delays on scene change? Please, don't tell me to roll 10 seconds before each shot. I could care less what's happening in the scene - I want a clip AT the start/stop break. I'll capture whatever way does that...without buying a card I'll just have to replace in a year....*sigh.

You can shorten the gap to about 2-3 seconds if you adjust the pre roll & post roll in the Audio/Video Settings. Select the "Device Control Presets" tab, then click on the HDV firewire profile and hit the EDIT button to change the settings.

After saving the new profile, make sure it's selected with a check mark next to it.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jaco View Post
You can shorten the gap to about 2-3 seconds if you adjust the pre roll & post roll in the Audio/Video Settings.
I think we're talking about the same thing - the video is rolling the entire time, right? I'll certainly give it a shot, but I'm not talking about Batch Digitize - I'm referring to Capture Now where the tape just rolls in and clips are made at each stop/start mark...
Old May 14th, 2007, 03:25 AM   #18
Major Player

Yes, shortening the pre/post roll to 1 second works for "capture now" as well to help shorten those gaps.
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:08 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Yes, shortening the pre/post roll to 1 second works for "capture now" as well to help shorten those gaps.
Well, that *will help things a bit, but it does leave some room for improvement....
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:32 AM   #20
Major Player

So have you tried it yet?

It helped to make my gaps 2-3 seconds instead of 5-7 seconds.

I don't even capture in HDV anymore anyway. I use AIC simply because it gets rid of that GOP, and gives faster rendering times.
Old May 17th, 2007, 11:39 PM   #21
Major Player

JagYouAre

Quote:
So have you tried it yet?...I don't even capture in HDV anymore anyway. I use AIC simply because it gets rid of that GOP, and gives faster rendering times.
I should have just done it, but I plain forgot! I just put together a short piece on a '67 black Jaguar on a mountain road. I've got a lot of work to get to Top Gear, but it was pretty cool. I shot it 24p again, but tortured myself using DVHS and Streamclip...for some reason.

I actually have no desire to use HDV - it was chunky in the timeline, in fact, the only reason I wanted to was because it was "native" and I wanted to test and see if there was any reduced artifacting - which I'm not sure AIC introduces. I can't tell much of a difference.

What's interesting is that the transcoded footage is marked 59.94 - yet plays fine in the timeline. When I capture HDV 24p via AIC, the footage gets marked that as well, but plays super fast (hm, like 60pfs!) and when it captures, it stutter/spurts the entire time....so there's a correlation and some other problem...

I'll post that video on the Jag tomorrow.
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
So have you tried it yet?
I finally got around to changing that preference - it helps - it's probably going to work for me. Not perfect, but it is much better.

Here's the thread on that '67 Jaguar (test) shoot. Here's a link to page on the site.
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:12 AM   #23
Major Player

Just out of interest, what gear are you guys using? I'm new to FCP (Avid in the past) but I just finished a 90-min documentary with about 3000 edits (including audio) in native HDV1 and then 10-bit uncompressed. Everything was incredibly slick and responsive on a single timeline. The project became a bit sinister in size but editing performance was just fine. Also, aside from the shot-change breaks I had no issues conforming the timeline moved over from the Avid offline.

I'm running a MacPro 2xdual2.66 with 3GB RAM and a RAID0 eSATA stripe. I realise this is a pretty new and fast set-up but it's by no means cutting edge.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:32 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antony Michael Wilson View Post
I'm running a MacPro 2xdual2.66 with 3GB RAM and a RAID0 eSATA stripe. I realise this is a pretty new and fast set-up but it's by no means cutting edge.
I'm FCP as well, Dual 2.5 Power PC. What was your frame rate? I would expect it to go smooth...

Did you bring the captured footage from Avid as well, or did you conform it recapture in FCP?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 04:30 AM   #25
Major Player

It was conformed from an Avid offline, so shot breaks presented no problem because I was just recapturing decomposed clips from the Avid, none of which ran up the ragged end of the shot. It's also worth mentioning that during the shoot we deliberately left ourselves an extra 5 seconds head/tail on each shot on top of the usual head/tail margins, based on advice from JVC and others. With a new fast Mac, plenty of RAM and under these controlled conditions there were no problems at all. I can see how trying to capture an entire tape in one hit is a pain but this is something we would rarely try to do from something like HDV or DV - from DigiBeta yes but not from a purely acquisition format. I do understand that others choose to work differently and capture an entire tape for whatever reason. However, many other NLEs that support HDV have this sort of problem on shot breaks - Edius is a good example. Liquid seems to behave much better on HDV capture than any other NLE I have used FWIW.

We were working with 720p/25 HDV1.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:03 PM   #26
Tourist

Delay in capturing

YES!!! I am getting the delay as well, and it stinks. I have the 110u and at 1st thought it was my Mac slowing down but its not. JVC help!!
Steven A. Ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM   #27
Trustee

leaving at least 5 secs of preroll when shooting is video 101. I've been shooting for 20 years and would never dream of intentially shooting without preroll, thats just bad shooting and asking for trouble. my personal habit is that if I am shooting HH, I hit the trigger before even getting the camera up to my eye. by the time I've framed, focused and irised 10 secs may of rolled by and I never miss a shot.

what I have found is that if you do mark a real I and O in capture, you can capture the entire clip. its when you simply try to capture the tape without marking IO that you get the 5-7secs break.

Steve Oakley
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Shooting pre-roll is simply not always the best option. I shoot candids on incentive trips, usually rolling 6-8 hours of tape in a 3-4 day period. I pull hundreds of shots from every tape. If I were to pre-roll 5-10 seconds, not only would it add dramatically to my digitize time, I would spend an extra few hours every day sifting through material. Time that I don't have on a quick turnaround edit.

I have to be able to capture tapes in their entirety and then sort through shots. Trying to mark I and O with the speed of firewire is not an option when you're pulling hundreds of clips.

Also, when you're shooting for people's actions and reactions, you have to be able to pull the trigger as you see it occuring. The other option is just to always be rolling.

So while shooting pre-roll may work in certain shooting instances, it does not work for all.
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #29
Major Player

Has anyone had the chance to test out this update yet? It would certainly help with timelapse shots. We were doing a bunch of those, rolling 10-20 minutes at a time. When using HDV in FCPro, the shots would be broken up. I think that's what this addresses, not the clip start delay in FCPro.

That is the real killer problem for us as well. We can't use AIC or MPEGstream Clip because they don't support HDV Timecode. We do documentary and the sound bites from the tapes are transcribed and logged into the scripts for the editor. We need to maintain TC throughout the production process to stay in sync with the script. When hundreds of clips are in the bin, having TC is a god send.

I don't know that everyone has that same need for timecode, but because of it we are suffering through the clip start delay and trying to shoot on Firestores on each shoot.
Dave Beaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Oakley View Post
leaving at least 5 secs of preroll when shooting is video 101. I've been shooting for 20 years and would never dream of intentially shooting without preroll, thats just bad shooting and asking for trouble.
Totally. Just to be clear, I'm advising an EXTRA 5 seconds pre-roll on top of the usual 5-7 secs (or whatever) margin that people are used to. Also, it's not such a bad idea to let the camera roll on in short breaks between takes since DV tape is pretty cheap.
Antony Michael Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems