DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/)
-   -   Weird Split Screen Happened (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-hd-series-camera-systems/93697-weird-split-screen-happened.html)

Joachim Hoge May 10th, 2007 05:27 AM

Weird Split Screen Happened

I had a weird thing happening during a shoot last week. Half way into an interveiw with one of Norways great stage actresses I had a split screen effect appear.
It lasted about 10 seconds (ruined the shot) faded away and happened once again. I thought it was the viewfinder (silly me). I shot another 5 hours on the camera afterwards without any problems-
One can clearly see the screen split right down the middle and it has different colour temprature on either side.

Have any one experienced this before?

I managed to "hide" it the second time it happened by re-framing so the split didn`t cross the actress face

Chuck Anschutz May 10th, 2007 07:06 AM

Apparently this glitch happens. Others know more.

What camera model were you using?

Steve Benner May 10th, 2007 07:55 AM

This is referred to as "SSE" or "Split-Screen Effect." It is a fault in the configuration of the CCD technology. What model of ProHD are you using? This typically only happens with HD100/101 versions and only in either Low-Light or with the gain cranked high. JVC can re-calibrate it for you.

Thomas Weilguny May 10th, 2007 03:42 PM

I´ve had it happen on my hd110e (high gain / lowlight)

Earl Thurston May 10th, 2007 04:18 PM

Try changing the settings on the camera so nothing is "auto", including knee. And rather than using manual white balance, use one of the presets (3200k or 5600k). I found I haven't seen SSE since doing those things.

Steve Benner May 10th, 2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thomas Weilguny (Post 676840)
I´ve had it happen on my hd110e (high gain / lowlight)

It does happen with the HD110's, just not as frequent. The 200 Series has better electronics which is likely the reason that it does not happen.

Mike Marriage May 10th, 2007 05:19 PM

I still have it on my HD111, despite it having just gone in to JVC for calibration.

It is only really noticeable at 12dB gain.

It is worst in low light, with flat backgrounds or when one side of the frame has a very different exposure to the other - eg a table lamp in only half the shot.

Re white balancing often gets rid of the problem.

Joachim Hoge May 11th, 2007 02:14 AM

Hi Thanks for the replies.
It was a 101. The only setting on auto was the knee.
The scene was well lit and shot at f2 and a half (no gain) and withe balance was preset 3200.
As stated before; it occured twice during that shoot, and hasn´t happend again since.

And it faded in and faded out.

I´m checking the camera as I´m writing this, and even on 12db I can´t see the SSE now

I do like this camera, but I won´t be buying one for myself.
We have 3 at the production house I´m working and I´ve lost count on the times they´ve been to service. One even died on me last week when abroad. Thankfully at the last night and I managed to get my hands on a pd150 for the last hour of shooting.

We have the 110 101 and 200

Joshua Clarke June 6th, 2007 02:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
While looking through the footage of a project I shot this weekend, I've noticed a very similar occurence. I've attached a screen to show you. It's faint, but you can see a line down the middle of the frame that separates the image, leaving the left side a bit grainier.

I shot at f2 with the AE Shift at +3. I did not notice it through the viewfinder or on the LCD, but here it is.

John Mitchell June 7th, 2007 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge (Post 677156)
Hi Thanks for the replies.
It was a 101. The only setting on auto was the knee.
The scene was well lit and shot at f2 and a half (no gain) and withe balance was preset 3200.
As stated before; it occured twice during that shoot, and hasn´t happend again since.

And it faded in and faded out.

I´m checking the camera as I´m writing this, and even on 12db I can´t see the SSE now

I do like this camera, but I won´t be buying one for myself.
We have 3 at the production house I´m working and I´ve lost count on the times they´ve been to service. One even died on me last week when abroad. Thankfully at the last night and I managed to get my hands on a pd150 for the last hour of shooting.

We have the 110 101 and 200

Joachim - my first HD100 had a fault in it where one half of the screen actually suffered from multiple drop outs. It sounds more like the camera you had was faulty. Because the sensor is in two parts you can get SSE but usually only when the camera hasn't been set up properly and in a low light situation. It can manifest itself at other times but your problem sounds too pronounced.

I'm surprised at your experience with service. I've been working mine hard now for a 18 months with no problems (since that initial one). Andrew Young dropped his in a river in Madagascar, dried it out over a fire and was able to keep shooting with it.

Jeremy Clark June 12th, 2007 12:39 AM

I also own a HD100U and sent it in upon purchase last year to fix the split screen. After getting it back, JVC "A" tagged it as having been repaired, but it is still obvious against flat backgrounds like snow or sky.

Carlos Rodriguez June 12th, 2007 08:49 PM

I only notice it on my 110 (not serviced) when I'm pushing hard on the gain in very poor light (outside in the street with little light at night)

Gregg Bond June 24th, 2007 05:03 PM

After a really good trawl around the (well lit) UK Broadcast Live show last week I was suitably impressed by the sales pitch for the HD110/111 on JVC's stand and am looking to get one over Sony's Z1E workhorse (which we currently rent), mostly because of the ergonomics and interchangeable lenses.

However my main focus is event based work and I seem to spend my entire life attempting to get a nice shot whilst the lighting team are trying to brain me with a moving head image scanner (so nice of them). This naturally makes getting a well exposed shot (ignoring white balance for the moment, why do they love that particular shade of cerise?), trying at the best of times.

After some investigation I came across the split-screen issue and found that it extends to the 110 series of cameras as well if they are pushed into difficult lighting scenarios. To that end is this considered a difficult scenario for a JVC?

http://i30.multiplay.co.uk/imgs/i30over_1.jpg

Ignore the tilt, the stills guy was being creative, or falling over from lack of sleep again.....

Any help/suggestions/persuasions to look harder the 200/250 cams please let me know.

Cheers
Gregg

Daniel Weber June 24th, 2007 10:27 PM

That type of shot may cause SSE. I had never experienced SSE until I did some indoor shots with some lights in the background when ever I titled up the camera. When the light source was in the shot, like in yours, SSE showed up. Even at 0db gain. JVC is looking at my camera at the moment.

If you do event stuff, I would take a look at the JVC (Firestore) DTE recorder for your camera. Will save you lots of time in the long run.

Dan Weber

Gregg Bond June 26th, 2007 04:11 AM

Many thanks for the reply Daniel, the more I look at it the more the Z1E and something like a PAG Orbitor (giving us basically the same or better ergonomics as the JVC) makes sense