Buying an HDxxx a good idea? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old May 20th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #1
Space Hipster

Buying an HDxxx a good idea?

I've been frequenting these boards for a while now, and the information I've learned has been invaluable.

I've always liked the JVC line of HDV cameras because they're so much closer in configuration to broadcast-style camcorders that I'm used to. I like the removable lens, and all the manual controls. The company I work for has, among other cameras, a Sony Z1 and I can't stand the darn thing. It takes great HD video, but it's controls and menus are maddening. Give me a lens with clearly marked f-stops!

Now, I want to purchase my own camera, and I was leaning toward the JVC line. However, after reading about all the horror stories many of you on this board have had regarding workflow, I'm hesitant to go JVC. The company I work for is moving to G5 Macs with FCP 5.1.4. I'll be riding their backs and use FCP for my own projects on the side. If I went with, say, an HD250, it looks like I'll have many issues with NLE.

To you, the users of JVC ProHD, what is your honest recommendation to someone considering purchasing this system? Should I save a bit more (and go deeper in debt) and go Sony XDCAM HD? Will a Firestore fix all the NLE issues? Can the HDxxx live in harmony with FCP?
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 09:45 AM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen View Post
To you, the users of JVC ProHD, what is your honest recommendation to someone considering purchasing this system?
Test it yourself. Take it for a spin before you commit. This is my recommendation to anyone looking to buy any camera.
Quote:
Should I save a bit more (and go deeper in debt) and go Sony XDCAM HD?
That is for you to decide.
Quote:
Will a Firestore fix all the NLE issues?
It will nullify FCP issues by directly recording 720P24, 25 & 30 to Quicktime HDV. Otherwise it records native m2t.
Quote:
Can the HDxxx live in harmony with FCP?
Yes, it does in my production chain. (there is a much more complete 'grey area' answer in some other threads on this topic.)
Old May 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #3
Trustee

I believe one needs to start with details on who will use the camera, how they will use the camera, what they will shoot, in what circumstances they will shoot, additonal equipment that will be used when shooting, the post workflow, and the final delivery and use of the footage.

Then each of the possible cameras need to be compared to this and a pros and cons list made for each.

I think the right camera will become obvious. While all the cameras produce excellent pictures, the cameras are radically different from each other when you get them in a shooting and production scenario.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM   #4
Major Player

I bought the HD 100a last year. I use PPRO2 with Aspect HD.
A few software bugs aside I have not had any problems with the camera or the workflow.....
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM   #5
Space Hipster

OK, now let's narrow the cameras to the 200 and 250. What is the benefit of the 250's HD/SD-SDI output? Is that more of a benefit to transmitting video, or a studio rig? I wouldn't need the studio configuration, but the time code in/out is nice. The 200 is a bit cheaper.
I got to demo a 250 today and the pics on an HD monitor were stunning! Even in low-level flourescent lighting, the amount of detail was incredible. Especially in 60p. I also hear FCP 6 should digitize the 720/60p video, with little issues. Let's hope.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Major Player

In my opinion, the HD-SDI out is worth the additional cost. There's a lot more professional support for HD-SDI than there is for analog component hd. If you're working in or with a broadcast studio then you'll need that connection option on a regular basis.

I also think that the 250 has added re-sale value because of the hd-sdi connectivity. I think that from an investment standpoint the 250 is worth the additional up front expense.

Both are great cameras but my money would go towards the 250 for the added value.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:33 PM   #7
Space Hipster

Thanks, Ben. That's sound advice.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

HD-SDI is nice in a pro studio environment.
But do you have a mobile HD-SDI capture solution < $ 25.000 ?
If the answer is "no" (also for the next 5 years) go for the HD200.
I think current mpeg2/720p/4:2:0 camera's will be worth zero $ in 5 years.
Buy a new one with better specs after 5 years.
Vincent
Vincent Mesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Mesman View Post
H
I think current mpeg2/720p/4:2:0 camera's will be worth zero $ in 5 years.
Buy a new one with better specs after 5 years.
Vincent
I don't agree. Only because I sold a DV500 after the HDV/HVX200 craze and it stil retained good value.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #10
Major Player

I went with the the 200 instead of the 250 since the price difference was significant, and I didn't havfe direct needs for the 250 features. HD-SDI is a great protocol, but the hardware associated with using it trivializes the price of the camera.... Certainly in a broadcast environment it could make sense. The Studio configuration as well. TC sync is nice, but not always essential. The 200 can perfectly sync TC with other ProHD cameras through FW. Also, with modern NLE systems, dealing with a small offset after doing a manual time of day sync is not a big deal for editing multicam.

Then again, my current impression is that the 250 might be available at a bigger discount than the 200 from your dealer. The 250 demos are turning up more often as well. I suspect the pricing difference is more based on market differentiation than the hardware cost. It really is a personal decision based on what the actual price difference is and your planned use of the camera - and that means immediate use practically, since with technology it usually doesn't pay to anticipate what you might want a year from now....
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:52 AM   #11
Space Hipster

I'm now leaning toward the HD200. In my case, I don't see a need for the added expense associated with HD/SDI. I won't use the camera for studio work. It may allow optimal data flow into an NLE, but there's no way I'll ever use my camera as an edit deck. Besides, JVC's running a pretty good rebate offer on the 200, so I might as well take advantage of it.
However, if there's a killer deal on a 250 out there, I could go either way.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems