Camera back from JVC. Still having problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 15th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #1
Major Player

Camera back from JVC. Still having problems

I received my HD100 back from JVC last month right before heading out of town on a shoot. I decided to use another camera and test the JVC when I returned.

Last week I did a quick test with the HD100 shooting a continious 5 minute clip. I then tried to capture it and the FCP broke it up into 3 clips even though the timecode was not broken.

I had to leave town again, so today I did another test shooting a shot clip and then a longer clip. The short clip (around 1:30) captured fine. The second clip aborted capture in the middle of it because of a "stream error". I took a look at the spot on the tape that caused the problem and noticed a severe drop out. I then noticed several more dropouts as the camera played the clips. I could see the drop outs in the capture window in FCP as well as on my monitor which is hooked up via component HD from the camera.

When JVC worked on my camera in May, they replaced the tape transport.

Any ideas or is anyone else having these problems? I am using Panasonic MQ tapes. I have not had problems with them until recently which led me to believe that it was the camera, which I still think it is.

I emailed Ken Freed my local rep, but he said that I need to work directly with the repair guys at JVC to fix it from now on.

I am not getting a good feeling about this whole situation.

Do I need to spend $1800 to get a Firestore to be able to use the camera? Then I read about people having problems with the Firestore.

I am about ready to pull my hair out. I tried to find some JVC HDV tapes to buy but can't locate any online.

Open to suggestions,

Daniel Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Personally, I count on 1-5 drop outs per 60 min tape. I use the cheapy pannasonic tapes. sometimes they ruin great shots. bad timing.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Tapes Online

Daniel here is the info to order online::::::

BH Photo New York::::
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nutes_HDV.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...utes_Mini.html

Total Media New Jersey:::
http://totalmedia.com/catalog/catalo...ID=&bustype=01

cheers

William Osorio
William Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #4
Major Player

Daniel,

Perhaps your camera is not the problem. Have you seen this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=93647&page=3?
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brown View Post
Daniel,

Perhaps your camera is not the problem. Have you seen this thread http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...t=93647&page=3?
Tim,

The problem is the camera when I can see dropouts on the tape when played back from the camera to a monitor.

I had the camera for 12 months and shot only about 25 hours on the camera and never had a problem. Then all of a sudden it was dropouts every few seconds and lots of timecode breaks.

I am using fast drives (FW800).

I have shot over 250 hours on a Sony Z1 and have never had a dropout!!!

This camera should not be having this problem. Why did it work fine for a while and then start acting up?

JVC service "fixed" the problem by putting in a new tape transport. The sheet they sent me said that they worked on the camera for a total of 2 hours (they had it for close to 3 weeks at their repair facility in NJ). They didn't even address the SSE issue I had with it.

I appreciate them fixing it under warranty even though I was 15 days past my warranty expiring. I would just like the camera to work as advertised!!

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just reviewed footage I shot on thursday for a big client and the HDV-30p footage shot on Sony DVCAM tape has tons of dropouts. My camera is an HD100A, an upgraded "B-Stock" camera with 23hours on the head. I shot two other times with this camera and had no problems.

Today, I started testing the settings and none of the HDV settings record without dropouts. Then I put the camera into DV settings and they all recorded fine with no dropouts. Because of this, I am almost saying it's the camera not the tape, as I have only used sony tape stock in it. I cleaned the heads too. I've been shooting on another hd100 for a year now and only used sony dvcam tapes in it, with very little problems.

Try putting your camera in DV mode and see if you have the same problems. I tried HDV30p, 24p and had dropouts. and then did DV 60i, 24p and had no dropouts.

I'm still under warranty, so my camera is going back next week.

Let me know,

tup
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Major Player

Daniel,

Sorry that the info I posted was of no help. It seems that this problem has been quite the enigma for so many HD100 users and I only wish that there was a clear-cut resolution for what some of us has experienced. Unfortunately it seems that any "solution" will be based on our individual workarounds and not from some global fix. Many early testers said the 100 had its quirks.

Tim
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup Wright View Post

Try putting your camera in DV mode and see if you have the same problems. I tried HDV30p, 24p and had dropouts. and then did DV 60i, 24p and had no dropouts.

I'm still under warranty, so my camera is going back next week.

Let me know,

tup
Tup,

When my camera came back from JVC it was in SD mode not HDV. This leads me to think that they only tested it in SD mode and not HDV.

I have emailed JVC and am waiting for a response.

Not holding my breath.

I didn't pay $5000 for a camera to be a guinea pig for a unit that won't work properly. I feel bad because I convinced a good friend to purchase a 200 model last month. I hope that he doesn't have any problems or he won't be a friend any more.

Really wish that I had purchase another camera right now.

Dan Weber
Daniel Weber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems