New ProHD tutorial DVD? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 19th, 2007, 03:55 PM   #1
Major Player

New ProHD tutorial DVD?

Posts split from this thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=88724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
I'm working on a DVD now that will cover the whole ProHD line, including the DR-HD100 & the HZ-CA13U. I was working on an in-depth tutorial style book, but I've realized through my participation on the forums that many people simply can't learn quickly or effectively from the written word. The DVD format allows you watch the whole program in a couple of hours, or jump straight to an area of interest for your specific model. I will also likely add either subtitles or overdubbing for French & Spanish and possibly Portuguese, Cantonese, Japanese & German. It all depends on how much time & money I can afford to invest in translations.

This DVD will be a supplemental 'module' to to a larger educational DVD of Digital Cinematography techniques, tips & tricks. I plan to produce more modules in the future, covering other cameras, NLEs, and possibly even 3D Stereoscopy (a hobby of mine.)

Look for the official announcement at NAB.
Tim, is there any current news about this DVD (or the series of modules)?
David Knaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 11:45 AM   #2
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
We've mentioned and requested a scene file editor before. I doubt JVC will develop it on their own. It will take a third party (like Blue Barn's work on the XL2) to program one for Mac or PC.
I have some great ideas for the design, but I don't have the programming skills (or time) to create it.

I'm working on a DVD now that will cover the whole ProHD line, including the DR-HD100 & the HZ-CA13U. I was working on an in-depth tutorial style book, but I've realized through my participation on the forums that many people simply can't learn quickly or effectively from the written word. The DVD format allows you watch the whole program in a couple of hours, or jump straight to an area of interest for your specific model. I will also likely add either subtitles or overdubbing for French & Spanish and possibly Portuguese, Cantonese, Japanese & German. It all depends on how much time & money I can afford to invest in translations.

This DVD will be a supplemental 'module' to to a larger educational DVD of Digital Cinematography techniques, tips & tricks. I plan to produce more modules in the future, covering other cameras, NLEs, and possibly even 3D Stereoscopy (a hobby of mine.)

Look for the official announcement at NAB.

Hi Tim, I'm a part time narrator for dutch programs, if you'd like, I can dub it in Dutch for you. All it would cost is a copy of the DVD for me. Let me know ?
Jan Van der Heyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

The content is already shot, edited and authored into a DVD. The packaging artwork is completed in English, French and Spanish. I've just finished most of the legal mumbo jumbo and will be proceeding with subtitling in French and Spanish for the NTSC Region 1&4 version.
I need to add a few up-to-date pieces of information that have come to light this week (Lo-Lux for example.)
I hope to have the replication order filled within the month. A PAL (region 2-6) version will follow shortly after the NTSC version and I'm still determining what additional languages to concentrate on for subtitling.

The DVD menu system is very in-depth with built-in redundancy. The idea being that we don't all take the same logical path to find the information we're looking for. For example, if you are looking for an explanation of the switch positions of the audio channels, you can find it in "audio" or "external controls." The external controls menus are my favorites because they literally have photos of all sides of the camera and you can simply highlight and select the specific item you are interested in.
We of course are going to great lengths to provide "play all" buttons on the main menu (to play EVERYTHING is one sitting) as well as each individual section (to play everything in that section in one sitting.) This is actually the most difficult aspect of authoring the DVD because of all of the scripting going on "under the hood."
We've also kept the design of the menu system artwork very simple and easy to navigate, much like DV Info Net. You won't find any time-wasting animated menus. The menu system is logical and responsive, and each page always includes a DVD@ccess quick link that will take you directly to the ProHD section of dvinfo.net. (This feature requires a computer with internet access.)

The DVD covers the HD100 series, HD200 series, BR-HD50U, DR-HD100, HZ-CA13U COPLA, accessories, first-time setup & precautions, every single menu item in every camcorder, a primer on depth of field & cine lens adapters, an overview of the KY-HD250U studio adapter, backfocusing, battery systems, advanced image controls, some time-saving shortcut key combos, tips and tricks, tutorials and lots more.
I've been working on this for a long time to try to make it as "complete" as possible. Of course at some point I have to let the product live as it is and all new information will be provided here at DV Info Net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs
Tim, is there any current news about this DVD (or the series of modules)?
"Best laid plans." I'm tackling this series one DVD at a time. Keep in mind that the other wranglers and I are all working professionals who volunteer in our spare time at DV Info Net. Therefore, everything we do or produce takes more time than it should. I hope to start working on the next module (Digital Cinematography) when this one is completed, but I have to do it in the midst of my day-job. Unfortunately, the ProHD DVD has taken much longer than I originally anticipated to author. The end result is well worth it, but at this rate I can probably only produce one or two per year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Van der Heyden
Hi Tim, I'm a part time narrator for dutch programs, if you'd like, I can dub it in Dutch for you. All it would cost is a copy of the DVD for me. Let me know ?
Thank you for the offer Jan, but I don't think I'll have enough bandwidth on the DVD for dubbed languages.

However, I would welcome your input on the Dutch translation for the subtitles.

In fact, if any ProHD users on this board consider English their 2nd language and would like to edit a translation in your first language in exchange for a free copy of the DVD, please let me know. There are many nuances that only a ProHD user will 'get' and I think this is the best approach, considering the menu system in the cameras is English. The translations are all being completed by an automatic translator, so I'm sure there will be some editing required.
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, Tim. This product sounds absolutely brilliant! I can't wait. And don't worry, I'm fully aware that you do these things in your "spare time". Another thing I'm happy about with this product is that it gives myself and other members a chance to contribute something back to you (by purchasing the DVD) in return for the constant stream of helpful and technically accurate advice which you have provided this forum over the last 2 years.
Old June 21st, 2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Major Player

^^ Definitely. I'd be interested - let us know when they hit the UK shores!
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:44 AM   #6
Major Player

I'll Buy DVD tutorial

I'll buy one for sure.

I've learned a ton from Tim about the HD 100 just from this forum.

Thanks Tim, Look forward to seeing it.

Peace.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:17 PM   #7
Regular Crew

dvd learnings for the HD100 im all for it
please put my name down when its available
MEKHAEL
Mekhael Trepanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 05:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

New ProHD tutorial DVD

Definitely interested. Tim has been a wealth of information!
Jay Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #9
Major Player

Hi Tim,
Please put me on the waiting list too.
I want to buy a HZ CA13 adapter and I hope that your training DVD will help me to decide. Unfortunately there are very few information on this matter.
Good luck,
Eugen
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #10
Wrangler

Thank you everyone who has sent me an email to offer their services as a translation editor. I apologize if I haven't emailed each of you individually yet.
I will get to them all eventually.

I have received offers for many different languages, and some I hadn't even originally considered.

I'm still looking for someone to take a peek at the French translation. I'd actually love to get two opinions on this one: someone from France, and a Québécois. I have a couple friends who speak Français, but they know nothing about the ProHD system.

The translations should be ready by the end of next week, or shortly thereafter.
Old September 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Major Player

Update?

Hi Tim.

I fully appreciate that you are probably flat out on other projects right now, but is there any update as to when you reckon the ProHD tutorial DVD might be ready? Even a rough idea?
Old September 2nd, 2007, 01:18 AM   #12
Trustee

Tim,

I think you left your money on the table......

S.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #13
Wrangler

Will have an update for you after IBC. The NTSC version is in 'beta testing' right now.
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:24 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks, Tim!
Old September 4th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knaggs View Post
Thanks, Tim!
hi Tim
My english is good, but my spanish is MUY BUENO!!
It tell me as I can help
greetings for all the users in English, Spanish

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems