My HD101 Short Film Wins Its First Festival at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old June 24th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My HD101 Short Film Wins Its First Festival

My short film "Love, War & Auditions", shot at the beginning of the year with my trusty HD101E, just scored its first festival win after having a few finalist placings in other festivals. It took out "Best Capital Region Film" at the Snowyfest Film Festival here in Australia.

The $1000 prize money it adds to the coffers is very welcome ;-)

What makes the win even sweeter is some of the films it was up against. I originally shot LW&A for a big Australian short film comp called Tropfest. In that comp it didn't even rate the shortlist. But in Snowyfest it was up against, and beat, two Tropfest shortlisted films and one Tropfest Top 16 finalist.

Just goes to show how subjective film festival judging can be :-)

If you want to check out the film, here's the link:

http://www.caliburnproductions.com/LWA.html

Cheers
Pat
PJ Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Major Player

congrats! what color settings/special equipment did you use?
Carlos Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Carlos.

The colour settings were Paulo's True Colour v3, with a little extra tweaking in post (Vegas 7)

Not a lot in the way of extra gear. Sound was caught with a Rode NTG-2 on a Rode boompole, straight into the camera.

Lighting. Exterior was just a flexifill to fill in the shadows a bit. In the "scene dock" part of the theatre, a couple of redheads, shooting through diffusion screens, created the overall fill, then a dimmed-down Dedo was used to bring out the faces slightly. Inside the actual theatre, The main lighting was the actual stage lights they had set up as a general wash (I was given use of the theatre free for the day, so didn't have a lot of control over that aspect) A diffused redhead was used to bring out the director's face more.

Dolly shots were done with the Australian-made "Wally Dolly". Not sure what an equivalent US product would be. And that's about it for equipment used :-)

Cheers
Pat
PJ Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Wow! Congradulations! I'm at my day job right now, so I'll check out your film when I get home tonight.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:17 PM   #5
Major Player

Great work. Congratulations to you. The story was well told and the camerawork was smooth, clean and professional. I hope to see your work on the big screen someday!

G'day!
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #6
Major Player

Yeh - well done mate; very well made short, however i can see why it didn't get into Tropfest (not on the basis of its quality- of which yours is at a very high level) but just on the fact that it doesn't really fit the classic Tropfest mould from which the judges never really move away from...
Tyson Perkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

PJ, very funny story, good acting and the DP/Camera/Light work superb. Congratulations.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #8
Trustee

Hey Pat, congratulations. Very nice story, very funny. I truly enjoyed it.
Old June 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM   #9
New Boot

PJ, one word : excellent !

nice work and I hope to see more of you ( films I mean ;)
Jan Van der Heyden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems