New Feature with HD100/200 and Mini 35 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 1st, 2007, 02:16 AM   #1
Major Player

New Feature with HD100/200 and Mini 35

Okay, so I am in post with my first feature. We shot with the HD100 and 200 using Tim's Bleech Bypass and the P&S Mini35 adapter. Still have about 7 days to go of actual shooting so its not quite done yet.

It turned out to be a lot more days and work than I expected, but hey, that's Show Business for ya'll. Obviously I am not at liberty to show the whole film online, but I did cut a rough scene for you who are interested and I will update as we complete the project with other clips, and a trailer soon.

Note that it is temporary sound and it has not been color corrected yet.

Check it out here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fezWp_J8i34

(yes, its youtube, but I can't have high quality clips floating around online at this point.) Hope you understand. Its still good compression and quailty for youtube, that is.

Enoy, and feel free to comment or ask questions.

Duke

Last edited by Brian Duke; July 1st, 2007 at 12:44 PM.
Brian Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Wrangler

Glad you got that movie made Brian! Congrats!
Old July 1st, 2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Very nice very nice indeed.And nice audio.What kind of mic are you using?
Hope to see more footage soon.
Good day.
Jimi King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:44 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi King View Post
Good day.
Really looks the part Brian - nicely lit too.
David Scattergood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:02 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Duke View Post
Okay, so I am in post with my first feature. We shot with the HD100 and 200 using Tim's Bleech Bypass and the P&S Mini35 adapter. Still have about 7 days to go of actual shooting so its not quite done yet.
Great piece...The conversation flows naturally.

Since you use, HD100 & HD200, my question for the workflow would be, did you capture it with the tape or with the Firestore or any other direct to disk method? What about the online for the post? I saw several camera work movement, I want to know also did you find any artifacts when the camera capture your shot.
Farishad Latjuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi King View Post
Good day.
We use boom and wireless TR50 mics for each actor. I generally end up just using the sound from the wireless. Just my preferred sound. It sounds more crisp and "movie like" to me. One thing I believe sets a cheap indie and/or student film apart from a so called Hollywood film is the sound, so I make a concerted effrot to get good sound, even if I have to do ADR.
Old July 1st, 2007, 12:38 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farishad Latjuba View Post
Great piece...The conversation flows naturally.
Thanks mate

Quote:
did you capture it with the tape or with the Firestore or any other direct to disk method? What about the online for the post?
We captured onto the Firestore and lucky enough we had a onsite assistant editor that would then log the media every other hour.

Quote:
I want to know also did you find any artifacts when the camera capture your shot.
I am not much of a tech person, nor do I really spend so much time in the area as I probably should, but the answer is I didn't see anything that stood out. I concentrate on story, performance, and the overall look of the film. I.e. composition of the camera and light. Pixels, resolution, artifacts, compression, and so on isn't my area of expertise. Personally I think there is too much time spend on that and less time spend on casting good actors, writing a good story etc. But that is just me. I know it obviously has a place, but I leave it up to the DP and color corrector to deal with those issues. I can't wrap my head around a lot of that stuff. Probably due to my severe case of ADD. =)

Thanks for all the comments.
Old July 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Brian, I think it's awesome. I liked the story, editing, camera movement. How did you get this great quality in youtube? What file/settings did you use to upload? It looks really good even highly compressed. I've been following your films and you are very talented.
George David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:27 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George David View Post
What file/settings did you use to upload? It looks really good even highly compressed.
HEy David,

Thanks for the kind comments and viewing. I just use Quicktime export conversion via FCP6 and upload. Just a smaller size. I think Youtube just seems to be compressing it nicely so it keeps a pretty decent quality for viewing.

Duke
Old July 2nd, 2007, 04:22 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Can't wait to see the full length version... when is it gonna be on theaters in Europe? ;)
Keep us posted!
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio Barbosa View Post
Can't wait to see the full length version... when is it gonna be on theaters in Europe!
We can only hope =)
Old July 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM   #12
Major Player

I thought it looked very very good, the pacing of the scene seemed excellent, the dialogue natural- way better than most indie films, or for that matter even most studio films.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:47 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Fantastic job-How was your experience with the 200 as compared to the 100? Pros/Cons? Really nice work.
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:50 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes Roberts View Post
Fantastic job-How was your experience with the 200 as compared to the 100? Pros/Cons? Really nice work.
Thanks for the comments.

I really didn't see the difference between the two, except that the 200 has 60P for slowmo and better connections. I would get the 200 over the 100 at this point. No need to go backwards. Plus the 200 has 2:35.1 frame maker for the display for those of us who are addicted to true wide screen cinema =)

No cons as I saw it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems