JVC vertical mounting ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Tourist

JVC vertical mounting ???

I've been using the JVC HD110 for awhile and love it. my latest ambition is to shoot some rising smoke but have the camera vertical to take advantage of hdv 16:9, like pictured below:

http://www.pohlvideo.com/temp.jpg

but now i found this in the manual (pg. 6):

"Use the unit in an upright position.
If placed on its side, heat release efficiency will deteriorate,
adversely affecting the tape transport. Depending on cir-
cumstances the tape may also be damaged"

so... what's a good way of doing this? it will be indoors but perhaps keep a fan blowing on it? ice pack? should it face "tape side" or "lcd side" up? anyone try this before with success?
Ben Pohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM   #2
Major Player

I've never tried this, and I'm not a JVC rep, so use this advice at your own risk. But, if it were my camera I would get a good fan and have it blow over the rear portion of the camera during the shoot. If I had a fan on it I wouldn't worry about any heat problems. Without a fan, I'd be really concerned.

I've felt the back of the unit under normal shooting conditions and it really heats up so I think the manual is right and you would ruin the tape at the very least.

Ben
Ben Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM   #3
Trustee

i think its ok if its not prolonged shoot. otherwise tether to your computer or dte and use those instead of tape. You wont be using the transport that way.
Ted Ramasola is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems