"Downpour" - CineVera Picture's latest scene at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"Downpour" - CineVera Picture's latest scene

Check out our latest project at http://www.cineverapictures.com/clips/downpour.html

It's a scene about an argument in the rain. We'd love to hear what you think.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:29 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Posslenzny View Post
Check out our latest project at http://www.cineverapictures.com/clips/downpour.html

It's a scene about an argument in the rain. We'd love to hear what you think.
is this a short film? Looks good. I would do ADR if I was you and tone down the melodramatic music. Otherwise it is good. Just not sure if this is a scene from a movie you are doing or a shortfilm.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It's not a short film. We just like filming things, and this is way easier than producing a short. We just focus on the cinematography, so the more we shoot, the better. But you're right, ADR is going to happen this week. This was more of a test to shoot in the rain.
Attached Thumbnails
"Downpour" - CineVera Picture's latest scene-rain.jpg  
Old July 3rd, 2007, 04:36 AM   #4
Major Player

Brian

Excellent work. Its good to see this type of stuff from the HD100. great camera work and lighting.

Was this using the Brevis? what scene settings were used?

Drew
Drew Curran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:11 AM   #5
Major Player

Yep this was the Brevis. Hopefully you can't tell that the motor lost charge at the end of the night due to a charger malfunction and a few shots are with the diffuser static... :-(

The settings were PTC3 but with standard gamma to resolve more latitute. Call me crazy but I like the look of it better for low key scenes.

This is just a scene unto itself. Not enough for even a short film. But we're shooting them for a number of reasons actually. For the love of it is definately up there. After just a few hours of time spent we can create a cinematic experience that we're proud of and looks great.

Making a demo reel is a huge reason. Even if we get one more "wow" shot from 6 hours of shooting and a few hours of prep then it's worth it.

And one of the most important reasons is practice. We both learned a few things about how to light rain, using different key sources, etc. Nick learns more about directing, the actors act, and the grips & AC's get more experience and become more valuable for real shoots. And we're going to be much faster at shooting the more we do it. So it's a win-win situation.

I hope you like the results.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:26 AM   #6
Regular Crew

slaps always hurt worse in the rain
Chuck Anschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
It's not a short film. We just like filming things, and this is way easier than producing a short. We just focus on the cinematography, so the more we shoot, the better. But you're right, ADR is going to happen this week. This was more of a test to shoot in the rain.
The cinematography is really good. The acting, audio and editing are a little weak.
Stephen L. Noe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #8
Major Player

I'd try cutting a version without the dialogue. You don't really need it.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:43 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark OConnell View Post
I'd try cutting a version without the dialogue. You don't really need it.
Interesting. We did another scene last week, where we covered the dialogue with music, and people said they wanted to hear it. Do you think it'd be better if neither of the actors said anything?
Old July 4th, 2007, 02:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Interesting. We did another scene last week, where we covered the dialogue with music, and people said they wanted to hear it. Do you think it'd be better if neither of the actors said anything?

It all depends on your goal. If you are just testing your camera and ligts then it doesn't even matter. If you are showing it to possibly festivals, investers and clients etc then ou should concern yourself with it. I.e. write more interesting material and get serious about the cast.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems