JVC HD Series with Sachtler at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 10th, 2007, 06:04 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC HD Series with Sachtler

Anyone try either the HD100/110 or HD200/250 with the sachtler DV-6SB tripod system? it has a payload of 2 - 20lbs? i'm looking at getting one of these but would just like to know if anyone has any feedback on how well the pair work together? Thanks
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Brain,

I have a 100, loaded with the 17x lens and a double NP-1 battery box on the IDX adapter; also have a lens support I fabricated, total weight 11.6#, and 24" long. The DV6-SB works quite well, as well as any Sachtler I've owned. (Previously I had a Video20P for an HDCAM I owned then).

I've heard good reports about O'Conner, but I've never tried one. The Sachtler gives you reasonably smooth pans and tilts, and handles and balances the weight of the camera well. There are enough adjustments to make it balance and perform well. At the end of a pan, you sometimes have to hold it still by keeping pressure on the pan handle for a few seconds to give the fluid cartridges time to equalize so it doesn't move back a bit. But it is a true fluid cartridge, and not greased friction plates, like some of the Bogen/Manfrotto, Vinten etc. heads.

Don't know about the sticks; on the Video20P I used Sachtler's Heavy Duty Carbon Fiber Sticks, and they were awsome. But I now use the Miller Solo DV carbon fiber sticks: lighter, good for packing in and field work, quick to set up, but probably not as stable in torsion as the Sachtler sticks. Depends on what you do and where you work. If I hang a sandbag on the Miller sticks, set them at the medium angle, and they are very stable; it's what I do for studio work.

Hope this answers your question.

Gary
SaltAire Cinema Productions
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Last weekend I rented a HD200 for trial and used my Vinten Pro5 with a new Manfrotto 519 Head - it features two springs for balance and it works perfectly with the HD200...

ULI
Uli Mors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:56 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Gary, Thanks for the information. That's just what i needed to hear, because i was trying to decide between the DV6 or the DV8 SB, there's about an $800 difference between them. You are right about Manfrotto, i'm using the 501 head with a Canon XL1s and I don't really care much for the head. Thanks again Gary, oh yeah, you've spelled my name wrong...
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #5
Space Hipster

I'm using a Cartoni Focus head with my HD200. It works just fine. I also use a Sachtler Video 20, but the springs keep wanting to zero the camera. Not real bad, but more noticable than on the Cartoni.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Brian,

A product of dyslexic fingers. My "Brain" not connecting with my Brian.

Sorry,

Gary
Gary Morris McBeath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems