JVC Reliability Problems? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems
GY-HD 100 & 200 series ProHD HDV camcorders & decks.

Old July 14th, 2007, 03:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

JVC Reliability Problems?

I'm in the market for a new camera and the JVC HD110 is what I've been looking for (specifically a shoulder mounted HD capable camera for less than $5,000).

After searching the forums I'm reluctant to pay five grand for a camera that seems to have more than its share of problems. I've also searched for Canon A1 and Sony V1 issues and have not seen anywhere near the number that the JVC camera has.

So my question is...For those of you who own a 110 have you had any problems with it and if you had it to do over again would you purchase the camera again?
Kevin Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM   #2
Major Player

When I first purchased my camera, I of course took and home and tried it out to see exactly what this thing could do. I also tested for the dreaded split screen effect, and to my horror, I found it!

"Oh no!" I thought, "Not the split screen problem!"

I had just got the camera, and even though I heard good things about JVC's service department, I didn't want to go for however many weeks it would take to fix it without my camera.

Depressed I called JVC. They informed that the split screen effect can still occur in some special circumstances. The circuit that callibrates the two halves of the CCDs needs to see a scene with a sufficient level of detail to get the two halves to match up. Just turning it on and pointing it at a flat colored surface with no texture makes it exremely difficult forthe callibration circuit to do its job. Also, the circuit can have a difficult time in extremely low light or extremely high gain before the camera has warmed up.

Sure enough, I only got the split screen effect under these circumstances, and didn't get it at all after I gave the camera sufficient time to warm up (about 5 minutes). Even with a flat colored surface with no texture, I have no split screen problem as long as I quickly point the camera at something that has a bit of detail first.

I imagine that because the CCDs are native resolution, with no pixel shifting or upscaling, that the chips would be prone to more manufacturing errors. Because their are simply more pixels on the chips, they need to be manufactured to much higher quality than lower rez CCDs. Sometimes, I think, CCDs slip through JVC's quality control that give people some of the problems we read about. Once you have a camera with quality chips the camera seems to be extremely durrable and dependable.
Adam Grunseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #3
Major Player

I too read about all the problems people were having. I for one (knock on everything) have not had a problem with mine. I have been using it on and off for over a year. Had a couple drop outs, nothing bad, but most of my problems were of the NLE (adobe) type. The camera has worked just fine. I hope it continues to give me good service, so far so good.
Jon
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM   #4
Major Player

I have had several JVC HD cameras now and both were very reliable. The SSE seems largely like ancient history now.

The virtues of the camera far outweigh any issues. A dealer told me that JVCHD200 series is even more reliable.

Isnt just the only shoulder mounted camera in your price range?

Rob C
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #5
Major Player

My HD100 has worked fine for over a year and a half.

I shoot event video so I use it to shoot & capture footage into my FCP system.

For a 5K camera, it puts out the best looking picture hands down. Progressive is the way to go. Don't get fooled by the 1080i sales pitch. Do some research on 1080i vs 720p

Download some clips from all the cameras and see which one has the most film like characteristics.
Scott Jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:02 PM   #6
Major Player

just a teaser of what you'll get.....if you get a jvc :-)
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=98890
Jon Jaschob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Castiglione View Post
A dealer told me that JVCHD200 series is even more reliable.

Rob C
Has there been many "return for repairs" for the HD200/250 cameras? Just from reading some posts it looks like the HD100/110, still has alot of issues. I'm looking for a Camera that is going to work for the next 5+ years. I really like the JVC HD series, they look nice, they produce nice pictures, and i personally like the shoulder mount form factor... so it is going to come down to either an HD200 or a Panasonic HPX500, which is going to cost more $$$. I have some reservations about the JVC though, just from hearing that people are having to send their cameras back for repairs in under a year. like i said i want a camera, that is going to be very reliable. I don't want to be out of commission for periods of time, because i have to send camera away.

So i guess my question is has there been any HD200/250 owners who have had to send their cam back for repairs?
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Major Player

I have been using my HD-100 for over a year now, and it's been a great performer. The only single issue I've ever encountered was the flip-out lcd panel started to fail, showing only all-white whenever it was rotated past 90 degrees or so. Fortunately, JVC's standard 1-year warranty was still in effect - shipped it off, came back pretty quickly, all fixed up and that was about 10 shoots ago now.
Eric Darling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:20 AM   #9
Major Player

Well this dealer guy (who sells quite a few of the cameras) told me that nine out of ten HD200s were fine right out of the box whereas the figure was appreciably lower for HD100s.

Rob
Robert Castiglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #10
Major Player

Hello
i have the 110 i have nothing but good things to say about it
i had a XL1S and also a FX1 the JVC 110 is the best of the lot
i have had no problems with it
i got A DR HD100 with a IDX BATT/SYS
get the right toys with the 110 and you will have a great outfit

thank you
JOE
Joseph A. Benoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:17 AM   #11
Major Player

I've had a lot of issues with both a HD101 and HD111.

Looking for a replacement now because I am fed up of it. If it was reliable, I would love it though.

I've had SSE on both cameras, a lot of dead pixels, random crashes and faults and worst of all an audio glitch when using phantom power. I've seen it on 3 separate cameras.
Mike Marriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 05:46 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Here is a link to an interesting article.

http://www.ai-interactive.com/print.asp?id=276

Since this was published, Jim FRATER now has a HD250, v-lock battery pack and wears the camera on his steadycam rig.

Last edited by Bob Hart; July 15th, 2007 at 05:47 AM. Reason: error
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Marriage View Post
I've had a lot of issues with both a HD101 and HD111.

Looking for a replacement now because I am fed up of it. If it was reliable, I would love it though.

I've had SSE on both cameras, a lot of dead pixels, random crashes and faults and worst of all an audio glitch when using phantom power. I've seen it on 3 separate cameras.

Wow, that really sucks.

Our HD100s and hd200 are solid machines for the most part. Never had a single crash, or audio glitch.

It seems dead pixels happen with every camera that uses ccd's. Of the four prohd cameras we have, each has had a dead pixel but the pixel compen feature covered each one up.

SSE was really bad on one of our hd100s but we had it calibrated and it's back to normal now. IMO, the SSE issue is ancient history in my mind because I never see it.

Our only issue is that rotten FCP segment capture! It's not much of a problem if you spend the money for a DTD.
Old July 15th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Well i think that an HD100/110 is pretty much out of the question for me, now to focus on the HD200/250. This is a question for those of you who own or have operated the HD200/250s. Have you in your experiences with these cameras, have had any problems that would cause one to reconsider laying down $9,000 - 12,000 on the camera? Has there been any issue with SSE with the HD200 series? blown FW ports? (well this can't be faulted to the camera but to the operator), Audio issues? Crashes? I've heard that there is a small amount of fan noise but that is a small issue, I just want to feel assured that if i spend that much money i will be satisfied with my purchase and not left thinking i should have spent X amount of dollars on a more reliable camera..... thanks to all for your input
Brian Ladue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15th, 2007, 03:00 PM   #15
Major Player

I worked 3 months for a production company this spring that had a 101, a 110 and 200.
We had a lot of problems with the 100īs. One of them seemed to be in service for most of the time I was there (not the same on)
I even had the 101 die on a shoot when we were abroad. Had to borrow a PD150 to finish the shoot.

I donīt think we had any problems with the 200 in my time there though.
I really liked the 110, and was going to buy one for myself, but the reliability of the camera put me off.

So now I really donīt know what camera to get and I will have to get one in August for a documentary.

Iīm leaning towards the Canon now, but I love the "pro" lens on the JVC as I mostly work on "big" cameras. Decisions, decisions
Joachim Hoge is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HD Series Camera Systems