Specs for new GY-HM100 ProHD Camcorder - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old January 12th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #61
Trustee

I too am very excited about this camera.....the biggest draw is the FCP ready to edit files....but the price is a bit high for the actual specs. The design is straight from the HD10U and GRD HD1.....2 great sized cams.....I really hope they come in at a lower price point considering the HMC150 is $3200+

Can't wait to read 1st impressions!
(I'm hoping blacks aren't crushed and whites aren't clipped- and good dynamic range!!!)
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #62
Trustee

The detachable handle is very appealing. This camera would be great for shooting MOS or with separate sound.

As mentioned in the intro to the presentation, I like the multicam possibilities with this camera. I will be looking for an inexpensive and wireless way to put in synch markers to the cameras and to a small separate recorder.

I don't see the need for timecode synch, but rather synch markers that can be dropped in at intervals or the press of a button from a wireless transmitter.

It would be very nice to have an option to flip the screen to the top of the camera (like a Z1U) when the handle and sound input module are removed.

Stripped down, I think this camera could be great for some high action Merlin shooting, being both heavy enough and light enough for outstanding Merlin use.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #63
Major Player

This looks like the HD version of Sony's PDX 10 which i used to own. It looks like a great travel cam for doco work when you wish to look like a tourist. I'm very tempted.

These have probably been posted before, but here's a couple of links with more info.

MacVideo - Camera Technology - Features - JVC introduce the GY-HM100; the world's first camera to record high quality native QuickTime files for immediate editing within Final Cut Pro

MacVideo - Camera Technology - Interviews - Craig Yanagi, National Marketing Manager, JVC USA, talks about the GY-HM100
Dom Stevenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:32 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez View Post
I too am very excited about this camera.....the biggest draw is the FCP ready to edit files....but the price is a bit high for the actual specs. The design is straight from the HD10U and GRD HD1.....2 great sized cams.....I really hope they come in at a lower price point considering the HMC150 is $3200+

Can't wait to read 1st impressions!
(I'm hoping blacks aren't crushed and whites aren't clipped- and good dynamic range!!!)
Agreed about size of the cam. Its form factor reminds me of the Panasonic DVC30.

As a legal videographer, I wonder if the HM100 has a date/time stamp feature for use during documentations and depositions. If it does, I'd prefer to go with a QT native format camera like the JVC than transcoding MPEG4 like with the HMC150.
Mark L. Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #65
JVC America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Whalen View Post
As a legal videographer, I wonder if the HM100 has a date/time stamp feature for use during documentations and depositions.
No, the HM100 does not have a date/time stamp feature.
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #66
Trustee

Perhaps someone has answers to these questions:

Where is the built-in mic? I can't see it. Is it on the body or on the detachable handle?

Are there provisions for recording directly from the camera to the BR-HD50? Perhaps directly from the SDHC card connected to a computer to the BR-HD50. For ongoing projects or long-term backup, it would be convenient to use the tape deck one may already have.

Last edited by Jack Walker; January 14th, 2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old January 14th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #67
Trustee

Hi Craig -

is there going to be a "L" version of the 700 ? basically just a body only ? then one could move over all their 100/200 parts. then you guys could offer a lower price which might be much more attractive in the current economy.

I'm sure the new glass will be better then the current stock lens, and the VF also improved, but I could live with what I have for a while, and upgrade down the road.

I do hope the camera will have either a built in AB / V mount, or accept the old adaptors.
Steve Oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi View Post
Thanks for the info, Craig. That said, are you aware if the pending HM700 will have that feature?
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #69
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Yanagi View Post
But the files themselves are date stamped on the card with a "Date Created" date and time (to the minute.) This shouldn't change no matter how many times the file is copied.
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #70
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
But the files themselves are date stamped on the card with a "Date Created" date and time (to the minute.) This shouldn't change no matter how many times the file is copied.
Understood, Tim. But both the Federal and state rules of evidence mandate that a date/time stamp (with seconds) be a visible component of the original recording. That goes for depositions as well as other legal video documentary functions.
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #71
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark L. Whalen View Post
Understood, Tim. But both the Federal and state rules of evidence mandate that a date/time stamp (with seconds) be a visible component of the original recording. That goes for depositions as well as other legal video documentary functions.
For that purpose there would be no workaround. You can't visually date/time stamp the video with any of the other cameras in the JVC lineup either.

In fact I can't think of any modern professional cameras that can do this.
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #72
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
For that purpose there would be no workaround. You can't visually date/time stamp the video with any of the other cameras in the JVC lineup either.

In fact I can't think of any modern professional cameras that can do this.
For clarification, the terms 'date/time stamp' and 'date record function' are synonymous.

In SD, the Sony PD-170 and DSR-250 have this feature, as did the Panasonic DVC30. As far as HD, I'm aware of some cameras that do: the XHA1s and XHG1s, HVRZ1U, HMC150, HPX170.
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #73
Trustee

Where is the internal mic on the JVC GY-HM100U

Here is the product page, specifications, showing that the camera has an "internal mic" (See Section HD Video Recording, Audio Recording):
JVC Professional Specifications page

Does anyone know where the mic is located? Can it be seen in the pictures? Is it on the body or the handle?

Thank you.

(As a side note, the specs indicate that this camera is both NTSC and PAL, with all the shooting modes for each. However, on the JVC page there is a "U" after the "HM100." Does this mean that there are actually going to be two models of this camera? one for NTSC and one for PAL?)
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM   #74
Regular Crew

The mic is literally in the first photo of the links you sent... its on the top of the lens. Follow your link, then on to pictures, then blow the 1st one up.
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #75
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Pallenberg View Post
The mic is literally in the first photo of the links you sent... its on the top of the lens. Follow your link, then on to pictures, then blow the 1st one up.
Thanks! I think I see it now, the raised band with little holes in it on top of the lens.

It looks like one can take the handle off and still record sound as a reference track to match another recording (of a clap or whatever).

I can't tell (and don't know if it's been said) if the lens shade comes off or not so a a wide angle or fisheye can be put on. Skate boarding and other sports looks like a possible market, and the fisheye and extreme wide angle are popular.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems