Still no HM100 in the US? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 9th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
For the 5 or so people in the world who now own the HM100...would you say the "performance per pound" (PPP) of this camera is unmatched by any other camera, bar none? I'm willing to put up with some quirky stuff like the iris being controlled by a wheel on the rear and the focus ring being an infinite spin if its image is amazing. Or do you think the Scarlet will blow this camera out of the water with the PPP equation above?
I think you are comparing apples and oranges here. Scarlet is supposed to be cheap indy movie camera, HM100 is "cheap" ENG camera. Your decision should be based on your type of work. If you are into indy fiction RED should be considered more. On the other hand if you do ENG or shooting for paying client HM100 or 700 is most likely your choice. Like anything, it's a tool, so pick a tool for the job. IMO HM100 is overpriced for what it is, but I need it for a job fairly soon.
Seems that the "ingest" process of RED into FCP is kind of pain. HM100 is seamless and since I need to do daily edits on short time line this is much better tool for a job.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:01 PM   #17
Major Player

I hear what you're saying. My concern is more with the ergonomics, thus the strange "performance per pound" stat, which really says it all. If a camera is too heavy to hold for a day, then I'm not really interested. That's why I've pretty much avoided all the latest stuff that one holds out in front, rather than on the shoulder. Those would be back-killers to me. If the HM100 is only 2 pounds and delivers a big bang for that 2 pounds, as opposed to Scarlet's what, 5 pounds? for a comparable image, then I'll go with the 2-pound wonder.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #18
Major Player

HM100 is 3.1 lbs with cards and battery and sound handle. In my case I also have to add wide angle lens attachment, so it might be roughly 3.5 lbs. I think ergonomics will be decided by the shape and weight distribution. EX1 is not that heavy, but hell to hold for any longer periods. I try to avoid hand-held shots anyway.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2009, 06:24 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
If the HM100 is only 2 pounds and delivers a big bang for that 2 pounds, as opposed to Scarlet's what, 5 pounds? for a comparable image, then I'll go with the 2-pound wonder.
I've shot with this for 2 days, about 2 hours on the card. I don't know about the RED scarlet. I do believe the RED's use CMOS, which I think provide better images 'for the buck' than CCDs, with a bit more 'organic' film look rather than 'videoish' (some may disagree though...)

The unit without the sound module is 2 lbs 3oz without the sound module/handle. It will be my 'B' camera and I won't use it for primary sound. If I want better controls and I don't mind the extra weight and infrastructure, I'd still probably use my EX1. All the little things I've taken for granted, such as the information displayed on the LCD, is sorely missing from the JVC. These are things, I think that are 'software' and could probably easily be added to the JVC maybe someday there will be but I doubt it. So far jury is out on my impression of the images of this camcorder. I wasn't totally blown away by the little I've reviewed the images, I wasn't blown away by the first images from my EX1 either until I learned how to use it. I'd say image-wise my new $1000 Canon HFS100 probably has a better image, though I haven't done a A/B test yet.

My 2 main reason for getting the HM100: CCD's and XDCAM EX workflow. For some special applications where movement is an issue, the CMOS is too 'jelloy' and CCDs aren't.

If you don't care about the CCD or the larger 'workflow' required by RED, the RED will most likely be a better image than the HM100. However the Scarlet is vaporware and will be until it comes out. I'll be posting more as I use it more and more.

The XDCAM EX workflow, in my opinion is the best 'bang for the buck' out there and that should be a determining factor, especially if you shoot and archive a lot of hours.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems