HM100 - detail setting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HM100 - detail setting

I have been playing with the details setting and find that -10 (or OFF) is better than any ON setting - especailly in low light.

Anyone else care to share their thoughts on this?
Matt San is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Matt.
Just ordered my HM100. Will check this out on arrival, and report back.
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hey col - did u get to demo it before hand? if so what did ya think?
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #4
Trustee

This is usually true for most cameras. By default most cameras go a little extreme with their edg sharpening to make them punch a little bit more. This does give the sense that the images is more detailed and jumps out more but it isn't natural.

I would be very interested in seeing how thse JVC cameras look with the detail off. I am a compositor by trade and I always prefer to get raw non sharpened images to work with. This makes it easier to rotoscope and key subjects so they don't have a thick white or black ring around them. To pull off the detail off you usually have to start with a pretty high res camera. This is why this works so well with the SON EX series of cameras. Those cameras already use native full resolution chips. The JVC does use pixel shift so they may not be as detailed but I would really like to see what they do look like with no extra electronic detail added.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:34 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Matt.
I had a Demo in Exeter last week. I was well impressed. JVC have done some amazing things to squeeze all that quality from 1/4 inch CCDs. I only got to play with it for about an hour, the rep turned up late and had to get to his next appointment. I wasnt best pleased, having driven 65 miles to get there. I have a couple of Transcend 16 gb cards, and need to buy a couple more. Transcends have gone way up in price over the last couple of months, and I can now buy Sandisk ultra 2s for about £6 less than Transcends, from 7 day shop. I know that they are rated as class4, but they are also the most popular card being used with the EX1. I figure that if they are fast enough for the EX1, they should be ok for the HM100. any thoughts appreciated. All I want now is for that box to arrive, and I can start to put it through its paces.
Cheers
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Ive just sold my EX1 - decided the hm100 will suffice for all my limited needs. I use Transcend 16Gb cards in both cameras and so far not a single glitch.

Regarding what Thomas says - I didnt like the over sharpened look on the EX1 either - like he says - it can look like a black marker pen is drawn round everything and when you do pans etc and stop - you go from unsharp to sharp in a very un-natural way

So far the hm100 with details off is giving me a less 'sharp' picture but much more natual looking- especially where movement in frame is concerned. But everyone will have their own opinion.

BTW - detail setting -9 to -1 all looked the same to me and +1 to +9 looked the same too (checking via HMDI on 42" plasma)

only OFF had any real noticable difference to me.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
I know that they are rated as class4, but they are also the most popular card being used with the EX1. I figure that if they are fast enough for the EX1, they should be ok for the HM100. any thoughts appreciated.
Class 4 cards won't function at all. The camera checks the speed the moment you insert the card. If you put a class 4 card the HM100 or HM700 it will give you a message saying "wrong media type" or something to that effect.
Class 6 is required. Transcend still seem to be the best price vs. reliability I've seen, especially if you buy the bundle that comes with the SDHC USB2 card reader.
Of course for guaranteed reliabilty you can look into Hoodman's 16GB "RAW" SDHC card.
Old May 5th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dashwood View Post
Class 4 cards won't function at all. The camera checks the speed the moment you insert the card. If you put a class 4 card the HM100 or HM700 it will give you a message saying "wrong media type" or something to that effect.
Class 6 is required. Transcend still seem to be the best price vs. reliability I've seen, especially if you buy the bundle that comes with the SDHC USB2 card reader.
Of course for guaranteed reliabilty you can look into Hoodman's 16GB "RAW" SDHC card.
Tim.
Thank you very much for the reply. I have just ordered 3 more Transcend 16gb cards. I was just being mean and trying to save a few £s, never worth it in the long run. Once again, thanks very much.
I dont doubt the Hoodmans reliability for one second, but at that price, I think the Transcends will suffice.

Last edited by Colin Rowe; May 5th, 2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Addition
Colin Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 07:50 AM   #9
Regular Crew

just wanted to bump this up people... has anyone else experimented with the detail setting at all?

i've been shooting a lot and doing some googling but would love a bit more info on what i lose/gain by turning the detail right down?
Marty Mulholland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I shoot mosly 720 60p. I find -5 to -8 is good. I get less "edge shimmering" and a little less noise.

In 1080 60i, I can only turn detail down to -3 to-5 or the picture gets real "soft and mushy".
1080 60i at 0 is real noisy to me.
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems