Price stability for HM100U? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 12th, 2009, 08:29 AM   #1
Trustee

Price stability for HM100U?

Hey guys- B&H has the HM 100 in stock at $3495 and since this is a hobby for me- I'd hate to pay full price to find out a month later they're selling at $2999 or so~.....what has been JVC's pricing history as to price reductions on new models in the past?
I know there's always a premium on "hot" new models and as such prices usually are on the higher end of the scale for the luxury of owing the latest/greatest....but what do you guys think of the current pricing of the HM100U?

I'm loving the FCP "immediate use codec"- just wondering how "hot" this camcorder will "really" be after reviews are released....the 1/4 chips are a bit on the small side and while I know advances in sensor technology is always improving, JVC's have (in my opinion) always had a problem with overexposures in highlight handling~ hope this cam fares better and keeps it value and not experience severe price drops because of lackluster performance reviews......

......what do you guys think?
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Steve.
I appreciate your caution. I think we all know that whenever we invest our hard earned cash on expensive electronic goods, we know that something better and cheaper will pop up in the near future. As for JVC pricing, I know little of this. I do know, having tested the HM100 out, and subsequently ordered one, that this camera is a little marvel, capable of producing outstanding quality footage. I have used Sony cams for the last 28 years, but had no hesitatation in going with JVC on this cam.
Old May 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Trustee

OK, did you notice it's handling of highlighted areas- how did you feel about it's highlight clipping- is it able to reproduce details in high keyed areas?
Old May 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM   #4
Major Player

I didnt see anything to cause me concern regarding any of your points above. Perhaps a few of the guys who have had a couple of weeks practical use of the cam will chime in on their findings. I only had the cam for about an hour at the demo. I do know that it gives a far better picture, IMO than any other cam I have used or tried out in this price range. BTW, just checked out your website, awesome work.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #5
Trustee

Thanks Colin.....I'm keeping an eye out- thanks again.
Old May 12th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #6
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Steve,

JVC has structured sales on the new HM series camcorders where all dealers have to sign a contract that they will not sell the camera's for any lower than what they are calling the "Solid Solution Price"

No Authorized Reseller under the terms of their dealer agreement are allowed to circumvent the dealers minimum sell price. This is very similar to the way Sony Professional has regulated the sells on their EX camcorders.

With this in mind, I do not foresee JVC changing their policy anytime soon to allow the dealer network to sell the GYHM100U camcorder under the $3495 price as advertised.

I would like to point out as well that in my opinion you get a lot of bang for your buck on the purchase of the GYHM100U.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
866-827-3489

Last edited by Scott Cantrell; May 12th, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009, 01:06 PM   #7
Trustee

Scott, I see.....while I was hoping for a lower price point- it's good to know those that purchase wont see their purchases devalue anytime soon.Thanks for that info.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems