HM-100 Matte Box Musings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 16th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HM-100 Matte Box Musings

So, I'm thinking of a matte box for the little HM-100. I'm quite taken with the Genus, but I already have a Vocas MB-350 so a smaller Vocas might be a good idea...

Nobody seems to have any configs listed for the HM-100, but I would need a clamp-on situation for the wide-angle adapter as it has no threads to mount a matte box adapter. I just need at least one 4X4 rotating filter holder (polariser) and provision for a flag. Loads of choice out there. Anyone tried anything already or have any thoughts?

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Wrangler

There was one configured at the NAB09 booth with a cute matte box and rod system. It probably had 3x3 filter trays. Unfortunately I didn't take a photo so I'm going solely from memory. I remember trying to remove the top handle from that system but the matte box was in the way.
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Picked up a Vocas DV Matte Box II Wide Angle (2 stage with flag and barsadapter) from eBay at a reasonable price so will report back later once I've sorted it out. Very happy with this as the rotating filter slot will be perfect for my polariser, and the flag is needed with the JVC wide angle adapter. Will need a bit of modding as it came off an XL-H1, but no problem.

Cotty
Old May 21st, 2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Day off today so spent it as any good filmmaker does messing about with gear. Nabbed a Vocas DV Matte Box II Wide Angle from eBay and it arrived this morning. The barsadapter mount it came with is for a Canon XL-H1 so after an hour eyeing it up and measuring, I chopped it in half and cobbled together a half-decent custom mount for the HM-100. Pics below. Needed to get the camera another centimetre higher, so was racking my brain sorting a jig out but couldn't find anything in the tool shed - then realised the Manfrotto 501 quick release plate I use is perfect size and could be modded...popped to camera shop and came away with another one. You can see it just below the camera and above the barsadapter mount. Below the mount sits another quick release plate for use on the tripod. The matte box takes 2 4X4 filters - one static and one rotating. The flag is a useful addition. I use a larger Vocas box on my DSR-450 and it's bulletproof. Really happy with this setup - should be perfect for mountain scenics next week. With the wide angle lens and all that metalwork attached it weighs in at over 5 1/2 lbs ! Still a lot easier to carry than the 22 lbs of the 450 with a Hytron 140 aboard, but this config with the HM-100 is strictly for tripod-mounted work. A smaller clamp-on hood and a radio-mic receiver will be used for run-n-gun. Thought you might like to see the pics.

Cotty
Attached Thumbnails
HM-100 Matte Box Musings-box1.jpg   HM-100 Matte Box Musings-box2.jpg  

HM-100 Matte Box Musings-box3.jpg  
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Very, very neat Steve
Old May 27th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Total weight or just the mods?

Is 5.5 pounds the total weight including the sweet new little camera?

Thanks for sharing and explaining ... and I'll be even more interested in your run-n-gun set up, as I might just have to copy that for the new HM100 I just ordered a few hours ago! :)

So whose premium screw-on multicoated circular polarizer would you recommend for the front of the stock zoom without adapter?
I want whichever brand than can handle some occasional salt-spray and rodeo dust abuse.
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Walker View Post

Thanks for sharing and explaining ... and I'll be even more interested in your run-n-gun set up, as I might just have to copy that for the new HM100 I just ordered a few hours ago! :)

So whose premium screw-on multicoated circular polarizer would you recommend for the front of the stock zoom without adapter?
I want whichever brand than can handle some occasional salt-spray and rodeo dust abuse.
I used the camera up a mountain this weekend, the Vocas box handled very well, and the Schneider Tru-pol polarizer was fine. I also used the camera with the 77mm rubber lens shade (wrapped some tape around the wide angle temporarily) and all well.

As for round screw-on types, I have used Tiffen in the past on still cameras, they seem to be fine.
Old May 31st, 2009, 09:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Walker View Post
Yes, combined weight. Handheld, made my arm ache shooting for more than 10 mins, but do-able.
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems