GY-HM100 remote control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old May 19th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HM100 remote control

I am getting ready to purchase this unit. The one hold up for me is that I have an Advantajib camera crane that would I would like to use this camera with. Normally we have a LANC port for remote control of the zoom and record functions, but no such luck with the HM100.

I would appreciate hearing from an existing user on the range of the remote control, how it functions, and how directional is it. I worry that the sensor location on the front of the camera means it would not control the unit if located behind the camera. Does anyone have other alternatives to the IR remote?

Thanks, Dan
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I was thinking of rigging up the HM100 on my vehicle, on a jib, etc. It's light weight and profile lends itself to this use, then I thought... how was I going to able to control it without a wired remote? This is a pretty big missing feature...

I think I might be able to rig up a fiber optic cable (I'll use a toslink cable) using some gaffer's tape from the IR remote to the HM100's sensor. Not sure if it will work... but it might. I'll keep you posted.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM   #3
Major Player

OK, I did the test. I took a standard toslink optical cable a pretty long 17 ft one, you know the kind you use for optical digital inputs and outputs on all kinds of digital audio receivers, etc.

I just used black gaffer's tape to tape one side to the JVC HM100 Remote control IR LED, and then on the front of the JVC HM100, and it worked fine for zooming and starting and stopping recording, and I assume anything else the IR remote can do with the camcorder.

I needed to put the toslink output about 1" away from the HM100 IR receiver, closer didn't seem to work too well.

Not as convenient as a wired remote, like lanc, but doable.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Dan & Keith,

I'm not a JVC Cam user (at least not since before VHS came to the market, I used a JVC Cam and Reel to Reel video recorder unit before then), but I've been making and using the "IR Remote to Cam, by Fiberoptic cable" mod for many years, on my Sony and Canon Cams, plus a few for friend's Cams. When used with a Lanc control, you can have a Remote for each hand, as I do when using my dual control handled Tri-Pod.

This Mod has worked very well for me and my friends. I set it up for "Plug and Play" using Tos-Link connectors - both straight and right-angle units. I set up the Remote on a small base with velcro, so it can be "Plug and Play" too.

Check my posts for Pics and other explanation, or I can send you Pics.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thanks to Harold and Keith for their contributions to the thread. It's really great news for me to know this "fix" is available. I am ordering two cameras next week. Harold, could you publish some information on this thread describing your modification. I am sure the JVC community will want to see the mods in action. You mention LANC, how does this work over the IR link?

Thanks, Dan
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Dan,

The LANC, is a wired remote control, while the IR is by light. You can have both types attached at once - but only one should be used at a time or you'll get some funny actions. I'm ambidextrous, so I can easily use two remotes set up at once - just as I use two Computer Mouses, one for each hand. You can also use two IR Remotes in the same way, just use a TosLink spliter. I've made a dual 2' to 4' extendable control handle setup that I use a Remote attached to each handle. These Mods are cheap and easy to make up.

You can check my posts for Pics and explanations. This site seems not to allow multipule postings of the same pics.

Harold
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #7
Major Player

Harold, thanks for your posts on this. From what I can see, the main thing you have done is to add a toslink coupler at the remote control and the camera receiver end to facilitate plugging in the toslink cable and making the system more modular and reusable. I think its a pretty good idea. Thanks for your contribution.

Somebody else, I think Alistar Chapman also used a technique of putting a bit of reflective material so that you could aim your IR remote control a the camera and it would reflect into the IR receiver port, this is a simpler but probably less reliable solution as well.
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM   #8
Major Player

Hey Keith,

The "reflective" method is tricker to set up and use, and ambient light can really mess with it.

The direct IR light thru the FiberOptic cable is a much better all around solution.

Harold
Old May 27th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Did It

I took the plunge today and ordered a matching pair of HM 100 cameras. I got the JVC wide angle lens, a polarizer and UV filter, Petrol bag, AT875 mic, spare battery, and SDHC cards for both units. I will pick up the TOS links soon and start modding a carry bracket for the remote control to use with my crane and tripod. Thanks for the help on this one.

Dan
Old September 20th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #10
New Boot

Re: GY-HM100 remote control

I know the HM-100 doesn't have a LANC port but I found this remote zoom device on B&H that also accommodates an A/VR port:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/732729-REG/Vivitar_VIV_RC_800_8_Button_Remote_Control.html

Will it work with the HM-100 A/V out port? or is there another way to use a remote zoom? Why didn't JVC think of this?

Thanks.
Stephen Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems