Which case for your HM100 + mounted short shotgun? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 1st, 2009, 12:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which case for your HM100 + mounted short shotgun?

What bag do you like and what else fits in it?

I'm in a small town and can't see things first hand, etc. ... I need one for run-n-gun, quick deploy with the JVC wide lens and a longer-than-stock short shotgun (AT875 for now, NTG-3 later) already mounted on the handle. Preferably something comfy to have on my shoulder/ against my body for walks and some hikes.

And does anyone have their HM100 in a Pelican case yet or know which size would be good?

Temporarily, I've got a super portable set-up -- a surprisingly good bag:
http://www.megamacs.com/item/Iomega-Canvas-Carry-Case-for-Camera---Camcorder,-MSRP-$70/view,2287115/criteria,iomega/

- only $20, and it's got truly nice 1/2" dense/minicell?/movable foam and
- H100 body w/ hood detached fits in it almost perfectly without the handle/mic
- comfy shoulder strap with sticky rubber on it
- internal mesh pocket, and the nice exterior pockets perfect for HM100 charger, batts, cables, etc.
- quality metal hardwear & nice zippers
- VERY light and compact
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Regular Crew

also ...

... hopefully sometimes for the shotgun on a proper shockmount atop the HM100?
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Sooo ... Nobody's using a case for the HM100? You use invisible tech tool force fields?

Seriously ... I live somewhere 6 hours from any decent/pro camera store with real bags and cases for real pro gear. I'd like to protect my HM100 better soon and could benefit from your experiences of what fits well and what doesn't (specs are only useful to a point), and I have no idea what brands are typically best for looking at.

THANKS!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM   #4
New Boot

my case...

i´m using Kata GDC CC-192 + Kata rain cover GDC CRC-14.
Works fine for me, not too big, not too small.

Kata | CC-192 GDC HDV Case | KT CC-192 | B&H Photo Video

Kata | RC-14 Compact Rain Cover | KT VA-801-14 | B&H Photo Video
Jurgen Schubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Walker View Post
What bag do you like and what else fits in it?

And does anyone have their HM100 in a Pelican case yet or know which size would be good?
Just been on a trip to NC with the HM100 kit in a Pelican 1510 roller. Camera with wide, audio handle not attached, tripod plates, bits and bobs, Vocas matte box, rails, radio mic trans + receiver, MKH-416, supplied camera mic plus softie (soon to be replaced!), spare cam batt, spare AAs, leads, rain cover, and still room for Wintogreen Lifesavers ;-)

The 1510 is carry-on and with all this it only got opened up once (Newark, domestic USAir shuttle) otherwise sailed through London Heathrow and Charlotte security, and Newark on return.

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys ...

STEVE: Do you prefer the foam version or the one with movable dividers?

JURGEN: What kind of forces would the Kata withstand before it would start collapsing inwards and the camera could get impacted? -- A small child sitting on it? A full-grown man?
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cottrell View Post
Just been on a trip to NC with the HM100 kit in a Pelican 1510 roller.
How much did it weigh and what airline(s) did you fly across the Atlantic?

Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2009, 06:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Kata CC 193

I use a Kata CC 193 which is very nice but also a lot bigger than is needed for the HM100. It would work great with 2. I wanted some extra room for audio equipment (mics and field recorders) and a couple Canon HF11 small cameras I take with me too.
Elvis Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Thanks, guys ...

JURGEN: What kind of forces would the Kata withstand before it would start collapsing inwards and the camera could get impacted? -- A small child sitting on it? A full-grown man?

hi Shaun,
it will collapse - even with a small child sitting on it.
Sorry - not made fot that.
Jurgen Schubert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Thanks, guys ...

Moveable dividers every time. Foam gets messy when you change your mind a lot ;-)
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Walker View Post
How much did it weigh and what airline(s) did you fly across the Atlantic?

Thanks!
The thing about taking carry-on luggage is that if it looks heavy - it *is* heavy. When I'm at a check-in desk or walking past the gate, I never roll it, always carry it. I never weighed it before travel - carry on weight is rarely measured unless you look like you have lead samples in your case! I used to take a LowePro Stealth backpack LOADED with gear a few years ago (Canon EOS 1DmII plus a shedload of lenses) and when passing by check-in or gate staff would only have one strap of the pack over one shoulder. Looks like it's casually thrown over the shoulder with only a pack of Lifesavers inside (despite the pain of the strap cutting into my shoulder). No way on God's Earth would they be checking that load!!!

Going on board the plane, always be much earlier rather than much later with camera-gear as carry-on. Be standing a few feet away from the gate desk when they call your zone or range of seating rows. The first thing you do is get your carry-on camera gear (in my case the Pelican) into an overhead locker ASAP. Everything else is secondary. Once done, the second carry-on ('personal item') like a computer case or briefcase can be stuffed under seat in front or jammed into overhead as well. The point is, if you're last on and patrolling up and down the plane looking for overhead space, and there isn't any, the steward(ess) will gladly take your Pelican case and have it checked into the hold......

I flew British Airways (always do - the food is good) and yes, across the Atlantic. BA also do 4 classes of travel instead of the normal 3: 'World Traveller' (Coach), World Traveller Plus, Club (Business), and First. World Traveller Plus is more width and legroom but a lot less costly than Club. Got upgraded once from Cattle, er Coach and never looked back. Latest trip in WT+, got upgraded to Club :-) But still no extra room for carry-ons, so still be early!!!

HTH

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems