Need Advice - HM100 Best Latitude Settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 16th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #1
Major Player

Need Advice - HM100 Best Latitude Settings

Right now I have it set to Cinema Gamma and Cinema Matrix, auto knee. I'm using Cinema, well, just because I have an EX1 and I have that set to Cinema as that type of image is pleasing to me. I haven't really experimented with the HM100 too much, I'd thought I might be able to short cut the experimentation by getting some experienced advice here.

I'm finding there is too much contrast, if I have a lot of lights and darks in the scenes, there is detail lost in the darker parts.

Can anybody recommend a setting that preserves shadow details but where I don't blow out the brighter areas? I don't mind doing some adjusting in Post, I just want to be able to capture a wider dynamic range. I'm also not expecting miracles, just the best the camera can provide.

Thanks all.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I also seek ideas and tips here -- especially when it comes to Knee and Gamma Curve, I'm clueless.

Where might one find a good online tutorial describing gamma and knee?
Shaun Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:01 PM   #3
Major Player

What are your options for image control. This will help me help you.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The HM100 doesn't have too much in the way of controls. Probably knee at 85% with Cine gamma and then adjust your exposure and gamma level so that you are capturing as much as possible. Then in post take what you have captured and make it look like you want. Adjust the gamma level to the left if you want more information captured in the light areas and move it to the right if you want more information in the shadows.

You can use the gamma level to make the recorded image look more like what you want but it is mostly for adjusting the amount of scene information captured to the flash card.

I would also suggest turning off detail level and maybe turning down the saturation a little if you are going to create your look in post. Sharpening is a good last step and if you have any strong/bright colors you don't want them to clip.
Elvis Ripley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 11:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew

HM100 settings options ...

For latitude & look we have:

KNEE: Auto/100/95/90/85%
(would 85% knee instead of Auto lead to overly flat images in really flat lighting like deep shade?)

GAMMA: Off/Standard/Cinema

GAMMA LEVEL: -5 to +5
(how is this different from Gamma??)

COLOR MATRIX: Off/Std/CinemaVividColor/CinemaSubduedColor
(matrix settings mainly affect color saturation, or contrast, too?)

COLOR GAIN: Off and -5 to +5
(is this like saturation boost or drop, and what would the difference between 0 and Off be?)

... and for eyeballin' it help, Zebra can be adjusted from 0-100 on the bottom of the range, and 85-Over for the top ... I'm trying mine engaged at 90-Over for now.

Last edited by Shaun Walker; June 17th, 2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Walker View Post
KNEE: Auto/100/95/90/85%
(would 85% knee instead of Auto lead to overly flat images in really flat lighting like deep shade?)
The knee specifically targets the response of the highlights. 85% is a reasonable setting for most situations, especially if you don't like the look of hard video clipping.
Quote:
GAMMA: Off/Standard/Cinema

GAMMA LEVEL: -5 to +5
(how is this different from Gamma??)
GAMMA specifies what response curve to use and GAMMA LEVEL moves the whole response curve up and down within the IRE range, effectively controlling the mids. So toe is for blacks, knee is for highlights, gamma level is for mids (but it does have a mild effect on the blacks & highlights.)
Quote:
COLOR MATRIX: Off/Std/CinemaVividColor/CinemaSubduedColor
(matrix settings mainly affect color saturation, or contrast, too?)
The matrix sets how color is mapped into ITU709 colorspace and it can affect saturation independent of the color gain control (as with the subdued color mode.)
Quote:
COLOR GAIN: Off and -5 to +5
(is this like saturation boost or drop, and what would the difference between 0 and Off be?)
Yes it is saturation control. The difference between 0 and off? Very little.
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, Tim. Nice to start understanding my video gear more. I know my pro still gear and Photoshop stuff soooo damn well that the mysteries of my little semi-pro video cam are frustrating and I should read up more on things somewhere and play around with settings A LOT :)

How does Knee work? Would Auto be better sometimes in flat or low lighting?
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #8
Major Player

The knee control compresses the highlights so there is a more gradual transition into over exposure. Basically it tries to emulate the soft shoulder of the response of film. The lower the setting the more the effect. I would try the various settings in a high contrast situation and see what looks best. As far as gamma goes, try a setting that pulls up the shadow detail slightly, without introducing too much noise in the shadows. This will give you the most latitude. Carefully applied you may be able to get a couple of extra stops.
Brian Tori is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems