JVC HM100 Review Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Trustee

JVC HM100 Review Video

A video I did with some footage. Watch in HD in vimeo.
Slight flickering of the dark scenes is due to conversion from 25P to 30P (Yes, Vimeo doesnt like 25P)

JVC GY-HM100e Shoot Out on Vimeo
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #2
New Boot

Great Shoot out Sean! That candle test was a real eye opener. It's amazing how much CMOS can do in low light.
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Not CMOS, the HM 100 works with CCDs.
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am certain he was referring to the comparison candle section with the EX1 - which is CMOS.
Rick Bolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:18 PM   #5
Trustee

I hope it helps ppl like me who wants a B cam!! The HM-100 is really handy as a highly portable B Cam. The light smear is quite irritating but CCD has no jello and I use it for steadicam work which is great!
Old June 19th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
I hope it helps ppl like me who wants a B cam!! The HM-100 is really handy as a highly portable B Cam. The light smear is quite irritating but CCD has no jello and I use it for steadicam work which is great!
I am afraid why you are not using HM100 as a primary camera? Is it not as good as your existing primary camera which you are using?

Please put more clips from your HM100, I am not able to see your Vimeo link, I am not sure why?

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:25 AM   #7
Trustee

Hi Kaushik. I still prefer the EX1 as the A cam for the fact of the diff in sensor size. EX1 is 1/2" Vs 1/4". I shoot events and weddings so low light is very much desired and unfortunately, a physically small camera reflects as unprofessional in my part of the world!

I'm not sure why you cant watch the vimeo stuff. I am aware there are problems from my country but if you are in the US it should be ok.
Old June 20th, 2009, 01:40 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Seah View Post
Hi Kaushik. I still prefer the EX1 as the A cam for the fact of the diff in sensor size. EX1 is 1/2" Vs 1/4". I shoot events and weddings so low light is very much desired and unfortunately, a physically small camera reflects as unprofessional in my part of the world!

I'm not sure why you cant watch the vimeo stuff. I am aware there are problems from my country but if you are in the US it should be ok.
I know if you go with small tiny camera for wedding and etc. People can think something bad, but I guess you should tell them that you please see my final product do not see my equipments!

Yes, if you have more shoot in low light then you need big sensor, but I guess HM100 would be fine, what is your opinion? And you can tell your customers that before it was not possible to make smaller camera with more innovative features but now days it is possible to make compact camera like HM100. I would say you start using it frequent and you would be fine, people are more concern about your final product not equipments.

I am proud owner of HD7, and I have done some night videos with it, I hereby invite you to see some my work:

This is my latest video: Reliance Broadband+ Launching Event on Vimeo

This is event video: Rhythm Pulze, Annual Show 2009 on Vimeo

Birthday video: Birthday on Vimeo

Vegetable & Flower Market: Vegetables & Flowers Maraket in Ahmedabad on Vimeo

My city: Ahmedabad, India on Vimeo

My only video with Canon HV20: Just Married on Vimeo

And this is my profile link: Kaushik on Vimeo

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:34 AM   #9
Major Player

Looks like is "candle test" HM100 at 12dB was the same as EX1 at zero gain. I don't know what is worst? Jello effect of CMOS or light smears of CCD? I guess it's pick your evil.
After watching side by side shots, EX1 is better, however it also costs two times more. Thanks for great work comparing the cameras!
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
Trustee

Good pt Robert. Its hard to make a choice bet the jello and smear. There is indeed no perfect solution so pick the best that suits the application. For half the price of the EX1 I am impressed.
Old June 21st, 2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Major Player

I was shooting a bit with one and I need one soon. EX1 costs almost two times more, but the quality isn't two times better. My 3 biggest gripes about HM100 are aperture control dial and lack of wide angle (like 28mm in 35mm equiv) lens. I know you can add converter, but that adds weight and bulk.
My third is the microphone! I swear my cell phone has better sound quality. On a $3500 unit it's just a slap in a face.
Zoom, focus and other issues (LCD has low res) I can get used to. Fix these 3 things and it will be an outstanding little tool.
Robert Rogoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2009, 08:07 PM   #12
Major Player

Show me one camera that comes with a decent mic... Just one... Doesnīt really make sense either since you usually take you audio equipment with you when you move on to a new camera, donīt you? I think the camera has itīs flaws but I also think people need to stop comparing it to the Ex1. Itīs in the price bracket of a Canon XH-A1s and a Panny HMC 150. And compared to them the HM100 does pretty well IMO.
Matthias Krause is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems