Any suggestion for on-camera monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old July 22nd, 2009, 11:58 PM   #1
Major Player

Any suggestion for on-camera monitor?

I'm looking for an inexpensive on-camera monitor (under $400)
the tiny LCD on the HM100 is very hard to see at least for me it is.
Is the Datavideo TLM700 7" LCD Monitor any good for outdoors monitoring
any other recommendation?

thanks again,

-k
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Major Player

well what ever you do, make sure you can return it in 10-14 days for a full refund if you don't like it.

I haven't seen much under $800 that would want to use (DC powered). Marshal is the brand to look at as a baseline. Most camera top monitors are not HD or even close, usually only slightly better resolution than a good camcorder flip out screen. Many are not as bright or contrasty either as odd as that sounds.

Something to think about. Much of my work in the field is stationary and there is 50% of the tme has power, so I drag along a 19" Sony HDTV that I picked up on a whim some time ago. works great.. I have it mounted on a $100 monitor stand so I can roll it around tethered to the camera. I'm sure we will start seeing some decent AC/DC portable HDTV's soon and that could be an option as well.
Alex Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Humphrey View Post
I have it mounted on a $100 monitor stand so I can roll it around tethered to the camera.
Do you by chance have a photo of the monitor on the stand?
Do you have a link to the stand, where it can be bought?
Thanks!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually I'm considering the new Marshall V-LCD70P-HDMI-JM.
Kind of pricey for me but I'm unable to carry anything heavy
so I always end up paying more for camera accessories. Any of you guys have this monitor?
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:32 PM   #5
Major Player

I have had very good results with my Ikan V8000HD and have heard good things on here in a thread about the SmallHD monitor.
Old July 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM   #6
Major Player

hey Brian thanks I'll have a look.
Old July 26th, 2009, 05:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I wanted a very small LCD monitor, cheap and cheerful, for using with the HM100 when it's up on a handheld mini-jib, and also for velcro-ing to the side of a big shoulder camera when filming car interiors (British right-hand drive) so got one of these:

3.5" Mobile Freeview TV & Multimedia Player > Advanced Portable TV

I would love to be able to get one of the Ikan Director's:

ikancorp.com: Director LANC Control

and at some point I probably will - but no LANC on the HM100 !! To be honest if you start spending money like that, a Teletest (or similar) wireless setup is the way to go.

HTH

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Steve - I can see how your model is useful for a jib/boom/crane application but for on camera monitoring it wouldn't be much of an improvement over the one attached to the camera, would it?

One of the many features I like about the Ikan monitor is the standard thread allows me to attach it to the camera shoe via supplied stand (deluxe model), use israeli arm and bracket to hang it off the camera (purchased separately), or thread to a spare tripod and set it close to main tripod. I am thinking about getting a Gorillapod Go-Go! to expand mounting options...
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
Steve - I can see how your model is useful for a jib/boom/crane application but for on camera monitoring it wouldn't be much of an improvement over the one attached to the camera, would it?
Excellent point and it would help if I read the original question properly but my excuse is red and spanish so there!

------> ;-)

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Trustee

You might look at this: VariZoom | VZ-TFT7 7" LCD Monitor | VZ-TFT-7 | B&H Photo
which fits your camera and price point, I think. We have a couple of similar Varizoom monitors and they have been very satisfactory. Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cottrell View Post
I wanted a very small LCD monitor, cheap and cheerful so got one of these:

3.5" Mobile Freeview TV & Multimedia Player > Advanced Portable TV
Steve, I'm after a cheap and cheerful monitor to plug onto the top of my Sony V1 purely so that when I'm standing right of camera as a videojournalist, I can check shot composition while I'm interviewing ... this looks splendidly cheap and cheerful but I can see no spec on the website for any kind of A/V input to the device. So how are you getting signal from the JVC into the LCD? There's info about how the TV can send A/V OUT to a bigger telly but nothing about inputs...

Thanks
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
You might look at this: VariZoom | VZ-TFT7 7" LCD Monitor | VZ-TFT-7 | B&H Photo
which fits your camera and price point, I think. We have a couple of similar Varizoom monitors and they have been very satisfactory. Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
I'm looking for something that I can adjust to get accurate colors.
One nice feature of the Marshall is that it provides false colors which helps with adjusting iris.
Old July 28th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #13
Trustee

Hey, Marshall is nice stuff, but I don't think you will find any in the under $400 range you mentioned, at least new. Their 7 inchers go for around $900 street price and go up from there....BTW< a collegue has a monitor from these people, looks like nice kit (metal case, lots of controls) but maybe heavy to mount on-camera per se. http://www.manhattanlcd.com/ /bvaughan

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; July 28th, 2009 at 03:00 PM.
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johns View Post
Steve, I'm after a cheap and cheerful monitor to plug onto the top of my Sony V1 purely so that when I'm standing right of camera as a videojournalist, I can check shot composition while I'm interviewing ... this looks splendidly cheap and cheerful but I can see no spec on the website for any kind of A/V input to the device. So how are you getting signal from the JVC into the LCD? There's info about how the TV can send A/V OUT to a bigger telly but nothing about inputs...

Thanks
Dave
Dave, I had a senior moment - for some reason I got it into my head that this device had AV in - as you have rightly discovered, it only has AV out! ACK. I sent it back.

My search continues - otherwise it would have been perfect. No end of 7 inch screens with AV in, but finding a simple monitor with AV in, and runs off its own batteries, that is small and under a hundred bucks - that's the difficulty. It has to be small enough to be literally velcro'd to the side of a big camera, or to be attached anywhere for easy viewing - even worn on the wrist!!

I will let you know when I find it.

Cotty
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems