Best mode for my project? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old September 14th, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best mode for my project?

I could do with a few opinions with the following as I'm not in a position to decide myself (lack of knowledge) and don't have the facilities to do much testing now (living in a Land Rover for the next year or two - only a new matt screen MBP with me).

I have a HM100 and will spend the next year or two traveling in Africa making a few films, the main one will be something like 'The Long Way Down/Around' but without the celebrities/entourage/support crews ;-)
YouTube - Long Way Down preview

So I will be shooting in loads of different settings, usually with a lot of sunshine, but also needing to use full auto a lot when suddenly ducking inside. There will be a lot of handheld shots, and hanging the camera out of the vehicle when driving etc.

With limited resources I'll do my best to sell the project onto TV afterwards (most likely European/NZ/Oz based) and will sell it on DVD as per my previous MiniDV efforts in both SD and HD (I expect to make my money back from the DVD sales, if not a good profit after a few years). When (if!) the film is ready I expect Internet sales to be a better option as well.

So what mode do I shoot in considering what we know about the HM100 so far?

One opinion from a experienced film effects guy I know who tested my HM100 was "I'd recommend the 50 fps lower res mode (1280) as the stabilisation seemed to work a lot better, and the 50 fps gives you no noticable judder on fast camera moves."
John McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Best Mode

I just came back from a week in the back country of Killarney in Ontario, Canada. We were in and out of canoes, trekking up cliffs etc. I used 720p60 and was really pleased with the results. Their was very little motion blur and/or judder and it captures fast action really well. As a general purpose, all circumstances, run and gun setting, this is my choice.
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Dan.

The other point I should have made is I need to buy two small consumer sized cameras that hopefully shoot in the same size/mode. Not sure if many of them do 50p?
John McDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems