SDHC Where to buy? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old January 5th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Major Player

SDHC Where to buy?

Hello everyone. I have a problem. It is impossible to find SDHC class 6 cards in Canada. Almost everywhere I can find them online say they can't won't ship to Canada. I have some Transcend ones that I really but I don't know where to get them anymore. Does anyone use any other brand of SDHC card or know anyone that will ship to Canada. I know B&H will but I think my shipping company is charging way too much. Thanks in advance
Old January 5th, 2010, 06:29 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sdhc

Try Tiger Direct. TigerDirect.ca- Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, PC Components & Electronics they have lot's of class 6 SDHC in stock and quote both Canadian dollars and shipment.
Dan Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2010, 12:58 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Dan. Has anyone used Centon, A-Data or Patriot cards in their cameras yet?
Old January 6th, 2010, 01:53 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I use Transcend 8&16 GB Transcend ( Chinaversion not Taiwanese),
Panasonic Goldseries 8 GB, Verbatim (not so good),
Eric Deyerler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Cards?

In the US, Fry's Electronics has some good cards. Patriot is the best of the cheap cards. No problems yet in my HM100. Adata won't stay recording at 35mps XDCam-EX speed. Transend seems good too. Got those from eCost.com.

alan
Alan Halfhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Bellows View Post
Thanks Dan. Has anyone used Centon, A-Data or Patriot cards in their cameras yet?
I use a Patriot Class-4 32GB SDHC card in an HMC40, without issue. I've also used an A-Data Class-6 4GB SDHC card in the HMC40, a couple of times, without any problems either. The HMC40 records AVCHD at a maximum bitrate of 24Mbps though, not 35Mbps, so Class-4 would likely not be suitable in a GY-HM series camcorder.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2010, 01:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

While the HMC40 may support Class 4 SDHC cards, the JVC GY-HM700 will not. It specifically rejects cards which are not Class 6 or better. (And if you don't have the latest firmware, it may reject higher ratings as well.) The data recording rate of the GY-HM700 is higher than the rating of Class 4, which is why Class 6 is a minimum requirement.

(I see that you did refer to this issue, Robert, but I wanted to make it absolutely clear lest someone run out and buy the wrong card.)
Bob Richardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #8
Major Player

I have noticed on a lot of sites that the Transcend 32GB are sold out or discontinued. Does anyone know what this is?
Old January 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM   #9
Tourist

I picked up two 16Gb Sandisk class 6 (30 Mb/s) cards at Henry's. Futureshop also carries the same one at times.

Gregory Mate
Gregory Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Class 6 cards at Amazon

I bought Transcend 16 GB class 6 cards from Amazon.com at a pretty good price plus they give you an option of eco-friendly packaging. So far I've had no problems with them but I have no knowledge of their shipping policy to Canada.

Good Luck,
Dan
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Class-6 doesn't mean 30MBs (although that SanDisk card probably is a Class-6 card - that can achieve reads at up to 30MBs). The SDHC specification requires that Class-6 cards be capable of writes at 6MBs. SanDisk's advertising is perhaps a bit misleading. By boldly advertising their card's read speeds, some folks might get the impression that those cards are actually quite a bit faster than cards from other manufacturers, which actually provide similar or better performance, but simply advertise their proper classification according to SDHC specifications.

Writing speed is what is critical to reliable recording, not reading speeds.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Have you tried B&H?

bhphotovideo.com
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #13
Regular Crew

SD Cards: Any experience with ADATA SD cards?

I am seeing a bunch of ADATA SD cards popping up on ebay-Purported to be 32GB and class 6. Comments or history with these?
Thanks
Tracy
Tracy Foust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:26 PM   #14
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Tracy, I have tried selling ADATA and have had bad results. Various issues from the cards not formating correctly and one issue where client had recorded and then went to obtain the footage, it wasn't there.
Tapeworks had switched from selling Transcend to ADATA due to the availability from Transcend. Evidently, they were having problems with obtaining a part for manufacturing them.

I have recently been able to acquire the new Transcend Class 10 cards.
These have been working great! The spec's read out 16MB/s write speed and 20MB/s read.

Tapeworks has been updating our website and I have not made a product page for this yet. I will provide it as soon as available.

Transcend 16GB SDHC Class 10 card
Tapeworks Price: $59.00

At the time I purchased these for sell, the 32GB's were not available. I will have to check and see if this has changed and add info as it becomes avaialble.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
866-827-3489
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 05:47 PM   #15
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Tapeworks now has a product page for the Transcend 16GB Class 10 card which can be ordered online Transcend TS16GSDHC10 16GB SDHC Class 10

The product page is not accessible through navigation of our website TapeWorks Texas but will be soon!

For additional specs on this card, visit Transcend's website
Welcome to Transcend Website - SDHC Class 10 card (Ultimate)

Transcend has not come out with the 32GB Class 10 version at this time, but do plan on it in the near future.

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems