Survey - Is YOUR GY HM-100 defective. (simple test) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old October 18th, 2010, 05:46 PM   #16
Trustee

Problem solved!

JVC upgraded the Camera version to 1.11 and the issue is FINALLY solved!

Good luck to all the folks with past and future ruined footage!

Case closed.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:36 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Got mine updated to 1.11 today at JVC in CA.

Problem fixed. Thanks JVC and Cliff
Andy Urtusuastegui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 09:14 AM   #18
New Boot

Re: Survey - Is YOUR GY HM-100 defective. (simple test)

Yes.

I have shot a lot of important background material for a fully financed documentary on this camera.

About to go into post-production....

So many clips have it! OUCH!

've shot about 40 hours on this camera, with the intention of cutting it together with A-Cam material (Sony EX1).

What is the solution to this?
Hermann Nietszche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:44 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Sorry Hermann, there is currently no way to repair footage already shot. It would involve someone (JVC) writing a new program with an algorithm specifically designed to correct the problem. It would take a person with the sophistication of the MPEG LA group to figure it out.

The only way out is to reshoot after you've updated your firmware, or with another camera.
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 05:20 PM   #20
Trustee

JVC NEEDS to publicly post this problem on their site.

As far as your footage; Did you shoot it at a 1/30 shutter speed? If you shot it higher, than you should be OK.

CT
Old April 4th, 2011, 04:51 AM   #21
New Boot

Hi Cliff

How do I find out which shutter speed it was shot with?

Thanks
Old April 4th, 2011, 05:32 AM   #22
New Boot

I just checked the firmware and apparently I have the latest version of the software...

It was all 1920x1080 25p footage... there is so much of it messed up- I can send you a link to some of the footage if necessary

any thoughts would be really appreciated,,, its an observational documentary in africa so i won't be able to reshoot the stuff... it would be a disaster if i've lost the footage
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #23
Trustee

Hermann,

I totally found this problem by accident. (not shooting anything important) I was just paying around with shutter speeds, high and low. I was just testing noise levels in low light. When it saw interlacing fields, I thought it was my monitor and I dismissed it and put my camera away thinking everything was fine.

Two weeks later, I was doing a side by side test with my EX1r and saw the problem again. I then realized it was NOT my monitor because my EX1r footage looked amazing. I shot some more stuff ant 60 shutter and then thought "Nah,..my camera looks fine, this is just some freak glitch."

Finally I did one more low light side by side with my Sony FX1000. I hit 30 shutter and saw it again! That's when I realized that I was not imagining the whole thing. I could recreate the problem easily, 30p video at a 1/30 or lover shutter speed. Take her above that, problem magically disappears.

I sent 3 samples and two screen caps to JVC. At first they didn't exactly believe me in New Jersey, but when the camera got to JVC California, they had the solution. (the two offices need to talk about this)

The key fix is that the camera must have "Cam Version 1.11" You cant upgrade this yourself. Its takes a special cable plugged into the camera mainboard.

Are you running Cam Version 1.11 or higher?

Can you see the interlaced lines in your progressive shot video?

One more thing,..all of my experience comes with the NTSC side of this mess. I cannot even say for sure that your PAL camera even has our problem.

How does you video look?

CT
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:46 AM   #24
New Boot

I use PAL version (HM100 E). I also have 1.1.. No problem what so ever.
Finnur Bardarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:48 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Can anyone using the HM100E please tell me if:

1. you have firmware beyond 1.07 installed

2. and if so you actually were able to download it from a viable web page

3. and if so... where?

I went through the JVC Europe landing and followed instructions and it would only let me download firmware version 1.07 which I already have.

Or is that it for the HM100E ??

Cheers
Steve Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 08:25 PM   #26
Tourist

Steve, I have firmware version 1.10 which came with my JVC GY HM100 when I purchased it in June 2010. This was the latest UK firmware update at the time and solves the interlacing when shooting in progressive issue. Current US versions of the camcorder have 1.11 which also solves this issue.

Please note that you will not be able to download either update. If you are having problems with the interlacing issue you will need to return the camcorder so JVC can update the firmware. Luckily for me I purchased my UK camcorder after JVC were notified of the problem.

Note that this issue was previously addressed by Mark Slocombe (CreationVideo) who posted the following back in September 2010:

''I've just been at JVC hq in London with Mike Turner, the chief engineer. He advised me that there is a software update that eliminates the problem where interlaced frames are recorded whilst shooting in progressive modes. It is a free update to version 1.10. but needs to be done by JVC.''

Like Mark, my camcorder, which obviously had the software update applied a few months before, has CAM Version 1.10. Arm is 1.05 and EEPROM is 052.

Hope this is of help.

Last edited by Mark Sefton; May 20th, 2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: additional information of help
Mark Sefton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2011, 07:22 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermann Nietszche View Post
it would be a disaster if i've lost the footage
I have some expertise with digital filters and custom image processing. Have you been able to salvage your footage?
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #28
Regular Crew

I have bought my JVC GY-HM100 in july 2009. I have (luckily) filmed in the automatic mode most of the time.
When I read about the "interlacing" problem in this forum a month ago, I checked the camera:
1080p30 1/30s > interlacing problem
1080p25 1/25s > interlacing problem

So, my camera "has the problem too".
I have brought my camera to the shop, and I am discussing now with them the warranty rules in my country ...

My opinion is that JVC should have organised a "call back" action. Now I do have the problems and the costs.
Anthony Schrijer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #29
New Boot

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with some gy hm 100 footage and I was wondering if there is a link with what is being discussed here.
In this footage for exemple, there is a "comb-flickering effect" (I don't know exactly how to call it)... Anyone knows what it is (shutter, OIS, something else?) I'm shooting 1920/1080 50 i

YouTube - ‪exemple b roll with default gy hm 100‬‏

My hm 100 version is 1.07.

Thanks,
Fabrice
Fabrice Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2011, 01:17 PM   #30
Regular Crew

@Fabrice
This is definitely not the "interlacing" problem that is discussed in this thread.
The problem described in this thread ruins your video completely (like a raster or sunscreen over your image).
You will see it clearly in these modes (if you have the camera fault):
1080p30 1/30s
1080p25 1/25s
Anthony Schrijer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems