Color Distortion Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old February 21st, 2011, 12:14 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Color Distortion Problem

Hey all,
I just shot with the JVC GY-HM100 for the first time over the weekend. We shot 1080/24p with 2 cameras. One of the SDHC cards has color distortion problems that come and go periodically. I've attached a photo of the problem compared to a photo of correct color. In the bad one, her skin is all green. This varies from a few lines to almost complete green and orange coverage. We double checked that the full auto white balance was turned off (not sure if that would do anything like this, but I wasn't sure since I've never used that type of function before). When viewed in the camera, you can still see the color distortion (albeit barely because the lcd monitor is so small and fiddly).

Has anyone ever heard of this problem before with this camera? Do you think it's an SD card issue? Only one of the 4 SD cards we used (2 per camera) that night had this problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Color Distortion Problem-color-probs.jpg   Color Distortion Problem-color-ok.jpg  

Old February 21st, 2011, 11:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Color Distortion Problem

Well clearly there were little green men in their glowing spacesuits behind the cameraman... no? :)

Seriously though, I haven't experienced this problem myself, but I think you might be on to something with Auto White Balance. I try to avoid using it. This camcorder is also a known poor low light performer and your scene may have caused the Auto White Balance to hunt a bit, although it should work with that amount of light.

Another thing you should be aware of is that the firmware NEEDS to be updated to CAM VERSION 1.10 to avoid an interlacing issue.
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...sive-mode.html

Get that done first and ask them to test for your issue while they've got it there under warrantee. Due to my being on the west coast of Canada I had to sent it all the way to Toronto on the east coast to have it updated, at my shipping cost of $70+insurance. It took three weeks for me to finally get it back! So make sure you get all your problems resolved at the same time if you have to ship it somewhere.

Did you delete the data on the offending card? If so, do a bunch of test shots with it in different scenarios and see if you can reproduce it. I buy budget end class 6 memory myself and I have a card that transfers data more slowly than the others of the same type. I won't use it anymore, it's not worth it. Some shots are single opportunity and you don't want to even risk having a memory card issue.

Best of luck with figuring it out, not sure if I really helped at all...
Jordan Hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2011, 05:32 PM   #3
New Boot

I was just about to post a similar problem I am having with my new JVC also. Same type of issue. Kind of pulsates from green, yellow to red bands horizontally across my video. First I thought it was the auto system so I switched to manual mode. Didn't fix it. I am shooting in front of a green-screen 90% of the time. Lighting seems decent enough. Thought it may be my White Balance so I redid it using the Auto White Balance on the front. No luck, same issue. I did notice that when I zoom in on the person things get better.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Stephen Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #4
New Boot

What firmware version do you have ? You must have 1.10 or 1.11. Mine came with 1.11
Finnur Bardarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:49 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada

Are you folks shooting under fluorescent (non sustainedRGB fixtures) lights? If you are shooting at 24P, you are likely using 1/48th shutter which will allow the non-sustained Red/Green/Blue cycle of the fluorescent instrument to "roll over" occasionally - one of the issues with using consumer lighting equipment instead of pro gear.

IF using consumer fluoros (including overhead ceiling lights), you should be using a shutter speed that is a factor of the voltage cycle rate (NTSC 60Hz therefore 1/60, 1/120 etc... PAL 50Hz therefore 1/50, 1/100 etc).
Old March 10th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Not sure about the firmware update as I checked these out from a rental house.

As far as lighting, we used 1 750w tota with an umbrella and 1 500w omni with diffusion. We shot 24p with 1/60 shutter speed.
Old March 10th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #7
New Boot

My firmware is 1.11 & I shoot at 30p & 60p. I have professional lighting top & sides. Same setup I use with another camera (Canon) without any issues.???? That's why I am scratching my head. I shoot Manual & I like using the Sport & Portrait mode functions. Makes it quick to change between video types for me.
Stephen Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #8
New Boot

what seems strange that this is not universal problem most have had this problem solved with simple firmware upgrade.
Finnur Bardarson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems