Indoor light advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old March 19th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #1
New Boot

Indoor light advice

Hey everyone, I've had had hm100 now for a couple of months and love it. Just bought a small on board led light. Now, on sunnydays shooting footage inside houses and apartments are ok, but on cloudy days even with the small led 60watt (bescor led-60x) I still get grainy footage. I know this cameras low light isnt the best- using 720 60p shutter 60-80 gain tried using 3-9 wb set to 3200k.

Heres a sample of one I did a little while back on a sunnyday-
YouTube - Poplar Plaza Apartments Remodeled 1 bedroom $1350 Sunnyvale/Cupertino Border-

Shooting indoor apartment ads and house ads are becoming tricky, since I can't carry a ton of gear and have to deal with I have to work with. So with low light on cloudy day, what settings would you suggest.

So far, I try to keep the shutter no less than 1/48
I try to keep the gain down as much as possible
White balance set to 3200k- I have 10 minutes or less to shoot a apartment.
Thanks Matt.
Matt Maglodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #2
New Boot

Re: Indoor light advice

Have you tried to put the gain up to 9. I have changed my presets to 3 - 6 - 9 and find 3 giving a good result with no grain at all even 9 could handle this without grain.
Finnur Bardarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #3
New Boot

found more grain than normal... or my normal. Not sure if wide angle lens makes it worse. Its something I can live with.
Old March 20th, 2011, 01:15 PM   #4
New Boot

That is strange, the video looks little distorted with this wide angle could be the cause. Your shot should be perfect in this light. ND filter off ?
Old March 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #5
New Boot

the video I posted is shot on a good sunnyday with my first crack with a wide angle- I discovered the aftermarket lens hood causes a vingnitting effect... I think thats how spell it anyway. Nd is off when shooting indoors.
Old March 21st, 2011, 09:11 AM   #6
New Boot

if this is not a standard problem with you camera and you do need to deliver you film in time. This Plugin can help dramatically to reduce noise. I work in FCP but there are versions for other applications Neat Image - best noise reduction for digital cameras and scanners
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:23 AM   #7
New Boot

Hey everyone it's been a while. I have had really good luck with my old hm-100. I find my self just shooting in full auto with very little manual adjustments, although I'm getting better at indoor.

Here is my latest video... lighting conditions were not ideal, but thats what makes it fun.

Bridge City Boiler 95% Efficient Boilers San Francisco - YouTube
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Hi Matt

I actually do a lot of rental videos for two realtors over here and a neat trick if a room is really dark is a simple light stand I put in the room and it has a ES fitting and a 85W CFL spiral bulb and it lights up the room really well with just bounced light off the ceilings!! My clips are mainly to establish property condition before a new tenant moves in and they are easy to do..most of the time I just turn on the room lights and open drapes/blinds and that's enough!! The light stand however does get me out of trouble with very dark rooms.

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2012, 01:45 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks for your response, I have a small light that I use for indoors, but it's the gain that I always hate to turn up, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

I just shot this footage, outdoor, full auto on 720/30p check it out

best buy black friday 2012 - YouTube
Matt Maglodi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems