GY-HM100 for documentary at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM150, HM100, HM70 recording AVCHD MP4 & QuickTime .MOV to SDHC cards.

Old June 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GY-HM100 for documentary

Hello,

this is one of the which camera to buy threads. I am planning to shoot a documentary with plenty of nice landscape plus talking heads. This is my very first foray into commercial documentary filmmaking and the plan is to sell the movie afterwards as a release mainly on DVD or on iTunes if I figure out how to do it.

I basically was already set on the camera with the Canon XA10 or Canon XF100 but I currently cannot get my hands on those cams. I had one on pre-order for quite a while but no luck so far and I have to start shooting mid July.

So based on the tight schedule I had again to look around for a cam and I am now looking at either the Panasonic AG-HMC40 or the JVC GY-HM100.

JVC is currently running a promotion in Germany and I can get one with the wide angel adapter plus extra battery and a JVC bag for Euro 3000.- (Firmware 1.11)

Now for me that is really a lot of money and In any case I will order last minute and see if the Canons become available but if not - which one should I get?

For me the main question is if the camera is worth it or if I should buy the Panasonic instead (about the same price with the accessories)

Thanks a lot for any feedback.
Best
Andreas
Andreas Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: GY-HM100 for documentary

I would buy JVC GY-100 tomorrow again if had to. I am so happy with this camcorder.
Finnur Bardarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #3
Major Player

I looked into both the Panasonic and the JVC. I almost got a second hand JVC for $2000 but was beat out by someone else.

That said, most people I queried liked the Panasonic more both for image quality, low light and handling.

I was interested in the JVC because it is PAL/NTSC switchable which is very handy for my work.

I ended up buying a Panasonic GH1 (hacked) and have been using it for my broadcast work (news reports in HD). However, if I were to buy a cam today it would either be the X100 or the new Sony NX70 (if I could find either in stock).

Here's some answers to my questions about the HM100:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/jvc-gy-h...broadcast.html
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnur Bardarson View Post
I would buy JVC GY-100 tomorrow again if had to. I am so happy with this camcorder.
Hello,

why are you so happy and can you compare it to the Panasonic? Did you test the Panasonic? Why is the JVC better?

Best
Andreas
Old June 16th, 2011, 07:10 AM   #5
Major Player

We tested JVC extensively, and while we appreciated all the manual controls that we got, what turned us off was the fact that the iris did not open and close smoothly, but the exposition would change in visible steps, which might sometimes be an issue.
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Schmidt View Post
Hello,

why are you so happy and can you compare it to the Panasonic? Did you test the Panasonic? Why is the JVC better?

Best
Andreas
I studied many cameras. It is irrelevant to talk about the best camera. GY-HM100 has all what I need. Good picture quality, the size and many other things. Specially the seamless workflow with Final Cut Studio.
Old June 17th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #7
New Boot

Take at look at this MacVideo - Camera Technology - Interviews - Vaughan Smith: Return from Afghanistan
Old June 18th, 2011, 03:23 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi all,

thanks a lot for all your feedback. I was lucky yesterday and could get my hands on a Canon XA10 which I preferred but is really very hard to find anywhere.

If I would have to choose between the Panasonic HMC41 and the JVC GY-HM100 I would have gone with the Panasonic but that was a very close call.

These camera decisions are quite important for me because I have a very tight budget and I cannot afford to buy the wrong stuff in that price range.

Best
Andreas
Old June 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #9
New Boot

I am sure you will be happy with your new camera
Good luck
Finnur
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:58 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnur Bardarson View Post
The best I've used.
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 150 / 100 / 70 Series Camera Systems