GY-HM700 Pre-Production Model Test from Germany - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old February 14th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #46
Major Player

The only thing has has kept me from buying a JVC 100/200 series camera in the past has been the lack of the 1080/60i format. I would have been an owner of one long ago had they offered that and have been surprised as the newer models came out over the years without it. This new camera is definitely getting me to thinking about jumping the Canon XL ship I've been on since my first XL1s back in 2004 and now the XL-H1a.

Having shot a Sony XDCAM/Fujinon 18x lens on several shoots last year, I've become a fan of the glass not to mention the workflow that tapeless recording offers. (I've added a Firestore FS-C to my bag since) If this camera's low light performance is as good as my XLH1a, then I'm going to be shooting one this year for sure. I'm anxiously waiting on some low light video clips posted to see how it performs.

On the 14x4.4 lens issue. I understand that a lot of the JVC shooters are excited about the wider lens but for me I need reach more than wide angle performance. Maybe I can do some swapping with one of you who has a 17x or 18x lens and wants the 14x?
Old February 14th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #47
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Withnall View Post
I was that close to going to the Sony 270 but if this JVC can compete on price I'm in.
Check out the reviews on the 270 at B&H. Underwhelming user responses. I had been VERY seriously considering the 270 before I bought into the HD200's. No regrets though as virtually everything I've bought for the 200's moves right over onto the 700.
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #48
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Roemich View Post
If you want kitschy stabilized lenses with auto focus, go elsewhere. I want the option for REAL lens choices from my choice of suppliers with decades of experience building broadcast lenses.
Shaun, wouldn't you consider this to be a real lens, despite the fact that it has auto focus and image stabilization (not to mention a 100x zoom)? Just playing devil's advocate here...

Canon DigiSuper100AF
Attached Thumbnails
GY-HM700 Pre-Production Model Test from Germany-digisuper100af.jpg  

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM   #49
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
I think I can safely give you that one Chris. I think I may be allowed to save a bit of face by pointing out that the lens in question costs more than the cars that most of us drive and more than some of us paid for the houses we live in, thereby placing it "in a different league" than the $1k to 3k kit lenses we are all discussing here.

Besides, one does not mount that lens to a camera. One mounts a camera to that lens... <sly grin>

And, in rereading my post, I believe that my intent at the time was that I wanted a real CHOICE of lenses. Not back pedaling here, just have become increasingly less a fan of servo actuated focus rings like one finds on the Sony Z1 et al which are speed sensing/damping and don't allow for ACCURATE and REPEATABLE focus adjustments on the same level as manually actuated rings that physically move the lens elements.

And as one who has used box lenses in live sports and live television applications, I personally have never found a need for auto focus. When a box lens equipped camera is operated and focused using a studio kit monitor ESPECIALLY nearing the end of the telephoto range (possibly with peaking actuated), it is readily apparent when one is in focus and when one is not. The image stabilization of such a lens is paramount however with focal lengths approaching or exceeding 800mm.

BTW:A favourite pastime of mine is playing devil's advocate...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems