Downloadable HM700 35Mbps clips for testing in your NLE - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #16
Wrangler

Yes. The workflow for FCP and .MOV is super simple.

1. Copy files from the SDHC card to the hard drive. (You can skip this step if you're in a real hurry.)

2. Drag and Drop files into FCP bin. (There is no need to use "import" menu or Log & Transfer)

3. Start editing.

If you are editing into a new sequence FCP6 will ask you if you want to set the sequence to the same settings as the source clips. I recommend doing this but then go to Sequence settings-->Render Tab and set the render codec to ProRes422.
Old April 19th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #17
Major Player

I know these tests are not for testing the camera.. but... can you tell us something more now.... ? I bought a HM700 and I am finding some noise. Also the 17x Fujinon lenses seem to have quite a magenta/green fringe. Were you able to test it? I'd love to see some footage done by a professional DOP. Thanks, Marcello
Marcello Mazzilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2009, 01:42 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Just tried downloading XDZP1 XDCAM EX Clip Browser from the UK site but you have to register and there appear to be problems on their registration page.
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 11:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Dave Tyrer;Just tried downloading XDZP1 XDCAM EX Clip Browser from the UK site but you have to register and there appear to be problems on their registration page.[/QUOTE]

I think you need to compulsorily fill out the details marked in asterisk on the registration page. The phone number entries needs to have - between or it does not go ahead... That's the little problem I faced. Hope that solves...
Amir Jaffar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks Amir...I did all that but still no joy. I did however manage to find it elswhere. Just got to try and load the .mov files into Vegas now.
Old June 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I've managed to play the MP4 files in Vegas 9 Pro demo and I'm just trying the MOV files. Is there any difference in using either type ?

Last edited by Dave Tyrer; June 27th, 2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old July 9th, 2009, 04:48 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Vegas and MOV files

Did you have any luck in playing back the MOV files in Vegas 9? I tried and got the audio track only and the video track did not appear when I dropped the file into the timeline.
Tracy Foust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2009, 05:05 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy Foust View Post
Did you have any luck in playing back the MOV files in Vegas 9? I tried and got the audio track only and the video track did not appear when I dropped the file into the timeline.
In order to play MOV files in Vegas you need to install this codec

Calibrated{Q} XD Decode

It's a demo and has grey stipes across it but at least you will be able to play the clip.
Old September 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM   #24
Contributor

Avid compatibility

Thanks Tim for uploading the clips..

Complete succes with the MP4 files. Took the clips into clip browser and exported them as NLE compatible MXFs

I could then import then in the same codec (no transcoding involved). The only hiccuop was the 1080P24 file whcih is actually 1080P23.976 (Avid has both 23.976 and 24) - once i opened the correct type of project Avid could import the clip with no problems. I haven't tried AMA yet as the clips are all of varying speed and raster so it woud have been just one clip per project but i imagine it would work.

So far no success with the .movs as I don't have the third party Windows codec. However I have a Mac here with the latest FCP and I'll see if I can import directly to Avid on that.
John Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #25
Contributor

Avid (cont)

On the Mac with FCP I can import the .movs directly into Avid.

Frame rate does not seem to matter with the QTs (as opposed to the MP4s) so I could import all the over cranked and undercranked footage straight into a 720P25 project automatically conforming it to that frame rate.

Remember Avid ties the format to the project where as FCP is format agnostic. A project in FCP can contain multiple formats, a project in Avid may contain only one. By format I mean raster size and framerate, not codec.

In summary you can get all types of files that the JVC GY-HM700/100 generates into Avid. If you are on a PC you will need to shell out about $100 to buy a 3rd party decoder for the Quicktime .mov format, although I suspect eventually QT will support them directly or perhaps with just the MPEG2 component loaded. You will need Sony's free clip browser to re-wrap the .mp4s into mxf format but that is an exceedingly quick and easy process.

If you are on a Mac and you have FCP 6.xxx installed you already have a decoder installed and can import the .movs directly into Avid.

In summary these cameras have none of the problems of hte previous HDV generations had with Avid.
Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:28 AM   #26
Regular Crew

when you converted the mp4's for use in Avid, did it retain the original time code upon import?
Kevin McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 07:21 PM   #27
Contributor

Sorry Kev - I wasn't subscribed to this thread but yes it did. It will also preserve metadata that is compatible.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #28
Contributor

Avid updated info

Avid will read the .mp4 files from the BPAV folder directly via AMA (Avid Media Access). Tim's test files did not preserve the folder structure and metadata, so I ran tests directly off the HM700 to confirm. You could work directly off the cards if you were pressed for time, although I would always recommend some form of backup.

UPDATE: the new version of Avid Media Composer (4.02) supports mix and match of framerates and raster sizes within the one timeline.
Old January 14th, 2010, 01:15 PM   #29
Major Player

First I wanted to say Thanks to Tim for uploading these files. I was just asked today about what new gear I wanted and have been eyeing the HM700 and 100 (depending upon available budget)

I do have a question about work flow. I used the Sony browser to take the mp4 to mxf and got it into Avid MC 3.5 no problem. I will still be distributing in SD on DVD. My usual route is to render the effects then send the timeline to Squeeze via QTREF. When I tried that I got the message that Long GOP cannot go as QTREF. So I guess I will have to choose another option when sending to Squeeze. What is the best option in this case?
Bill Mecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Re: Downloadable HM700 35Mbps clips for testing in your NLE

Thanks for posting that footage. I would love to see some from the new 710 with the Canon lens. That Fujinon is not doing the camera any justice. The chromatic aberration towards the edge of the frame is shockly horrible! It looks like an SD lens on an HD camera.
Jonathan Bird is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems