HM 700 vs GY 200 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems
GY-HM8xx, HM7xx and HM6xx ProHD camcorders & decks.

Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Major Player

HM 700 vs GY 200

I have a small problem. I decided I was going to buy the new HM 700. Very few of my clients want HD, but I thought since the 700 can down convert to SD that this would work. Now I am second guessing my thoughts. I was at a local dealer and the GY 200's are almost half the price of the new HM 700's. I know people on this forum have had issues with the lens and VF on the 200's. I also edit on a mac book pro and I am worried how much editing in HD would slow it down. I guess I would just like to know everyones thoughts. Thanks

Calvin
Calvin Bellows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Well, the HD200 can shoot DV footage and the HM700 can't, if that makes your decision a little easier.

The nice thing is that the prices on the 200's have dropped and they were a bargain before. You can carry forward most of the accessories you buy for a 200 (batteries, lenses, ciné lens adaptors...)

Do you need (or just plain old WANT) a tapeless workflow? If it's not important to you, tape is a perfectly acceptable way of instantly archiving your media. And relatively cheaply too.

If you're looking to freelance for other production houses instead of just producing your own material for you and your clients, the HM700, especially with the SxS card writer, makes for a more industry standard format. Your call: what do YOU need?

I suggest getting your hands dirty, start making some money with SD on the HD200, switch to HDV on the HD200 when the need presents itself and make the move to the HM700 (or whatever newer/faster/shinier camera has presented itself) when you've banked all the money from shooting with your fancy new HD200.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for your input Shaun. I knew the 700 couldn't shoot in SD but I was thinking that I could just down convert to it or edit in HD then compress down. You are right. I want it but I don't think I need it.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i'm in the same boat

Calvin,

I'm in the same boat as you and I can't decide which camera to get. I think I'm going to get the 200. Now I just can't decide which lens to get! The standard 16x is about $2,500 cheaper then the 17x.
Marty Jenoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 08:12 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Location: Vancouver, British Columbia (formerly Winnipeg, Manitoba) Canada
Marty: I'm using the 16x on my 200's. I notice the limitations but so far my clients don't. I also have the ciné lens adaptor if I REALLY want to kick up quality of glass. HOWEVER, if you're looking at moving up to a 700 eventually, splurge on the 17x now. Lenses will always outlast cameras, as long as you stay with the same size imagers and same mount.
Old April 3rd, 2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Major Player

Well there are probably a few of us JVC stalwarts looking to sell our current cams in the near future ;^)

Mind you, The HM700 is priced very well with the 17x lens package.
Old April 4th, 2009, 02:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm actually borrowing a co-workers 200 with the 16x lens right now and I'm going to use it on a shoot this weekend. I think that will help me make my decision.

I'm leaning towards the 200 over the 700 because I like having tape. And, I'm still in SD. I'll be making the HD jump in a few months (still saving $$$$). I figure I can always get the hard drive or SxS modules then and they (along with the lens) can carry over to a new camera down the road.

I need to get a new camera very soon because my current JVC GY-DV5100 is not reliable. I've sent it into JVC 5 times for the same problem and it has yet to be fixed properly. The heads constantly get clogged and cuase major break up.
Marty Jenoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #8
Major Player

Just so you know (I'm looking at this very carefully!). The SxS module is NOT compatible with the GY-HD series, and the DR-HD100 (or newer FW HD recorder) will not work in the high quality (35mps) formats of the HM-700.

However, from what you describe, this path still makes sense for you. Shooting for SD with the HM's means downconversion in post or using the remote FW HD recorder which can be inconvenient.

I came from a similar camera as yours (The GY-DV500), and even for SD projects on DVD, the improvement was quite significant. The only thing I lost was low-light capabilities, which has caught me a few times, although most of my shooting I can assure lighting...

The GY-HD200 is a very capable camera, and with good light and appropriate settings setup produces excellent footage.
Old April 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Bellows View Post
I have a small problem. I decided I was going to buy the new HM 700. Very few of my clients want HD, but I thought since the 700 can down convert to SD that this would work. Now I am second guessing my thoughts. I was at a local dealer and the GY 200's are almost half the price of the new HM 700's. I know people on this forum have had issues with the lens and VF on the 200's. I also edit on a mac book pro and I am worried how much editing in HD would slow it down. I guess I would just like to know everyones thoughts. Thanks

Calvin
I cant believe you guys are still shooting SD. Why?
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:56 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Robinson View Post
I cant believe you guys are still shooting SD. Why?
Where I am no one has asked for HD. I don't think in Canada it has taken off as much in the states. When I tell people that I will be going HD soon I get "mmm thats cool" but nothing more then that.
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Bellows View Post
Where I am no one has asked for HD. I don't think in Canada it has taken off as much in the states. When I tell people that I will be going HD soon I get "mmm thats cool" but nothing more then that.
In the last 2 years I have never been asked for HD either but clients can see the quality of my footage and the work keeps pouring in. I am working 18 hour days to try to keep up. I also love the look of HD compared to SD when I am working.
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #12
Regular Crew

700 & sd

I talked to two different JVC reps. One in the North East and one in the mid West. They both assured me the 700 would output SD interlaced signal via firewire.

Will find out soon. My 700 is being shipped Monday.
Ron Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:32 PM   #13
Regular Crew

SxS Recording on a HD200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Adair View Post
Just so you know (I'm looking at this very carefully!). The SxS module is NOT compatible with the GY-HD series, and the DR-HD100 (or newer FW HD recorder) will not work in the high quality (35mps) formats of the HM-700.

However, from what you describe, this path still makes sense for you. Shooting for SD with the HM's means downconversion in post or using the remote FW HD recorder which can be inconvenient.

I came from a similar camera as yours (The GY-DV500), and even for SD projects on DVD, the improvement was quite significant. The only thing I lost was low-light capabilities, which has caught me a few times, although most of my shooting I can assure lighting...

The GY-HD200 is a very capable camera, and with good light and appropriate settings setup produces excellent footage.

According to JVC's website, the GY-HD200 is compatible with the KA-MR100G SxS recorderd. Check out JVC Professional Features page

Before buying the HD200 I borrowed a friends and used it on a shoot today. I have to agree with everyone's assessments - the stock 16x lens sucks!!! Horrible in moderate to low lighting and zooming out to a wide feels like a medium shot. I'm definitely convinced to upgrade to the 17x lens.
Old April 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Still in SD

I'm not shooting in HD yet for a few reasons
- I've only had 1 or 2 potential clients ask for HD.
- No current clients have asked
- My current GY-DV5100 is somewhat unreliable and needs to be replaced sooner rather then later. So, I"m looking at getting a new camera now
- My current DV editing system works just fine, so no need to upgrade now. Might as well use it as long as I can and save money.
- And, I figure the longer I wait, new items will come out, prices will drop, and technology will continue to change.
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Jenoff View Post
According to JVC's website, the GY-HD200 is compatible with the KA-MR100G SxS recorderd. Check out JVC Professional Features page

Before buying the HD200 I borrowed a friends and used it on a shoot today. I have to agree with everyone's assessments - the stock 16x lens sucks!!! Horrible in moderate to low lighting and zooming out to a wide feels like a medium shot. I'm definitely convinced to upgrade to the 17x lens.
Me bad - eat crow. Yes it does work - in 19mbs format only of course. I assume it can do quicktime, not just m4p here. Hard to justify over a DR-HD100 hard drive IMHO for the 200 series, but if price is reasonable as a stand alone, it might make sense if you are pretty convinced of an upgrade path to the 700.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > JVC ProHD & MPEG2 Camera Systems > JVC GY-HM 800 / 700 / 600 Series Camera Systems